“Rooms very dated” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Bay Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tobermory
Blue Bay Motel
You added Blue Bay Motel to your Saves list
32 Bay st, Tobermory, Ontario N0H 2R0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Tobermory
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ontario
“Rooms very dated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

We spent one night at the motel, although the location is great, the motel is in dire need of upgrading. Room was very small and dark. No air conditioning, except for a small plastic fan in the window. The bathroom was also small with very old towels and facecloths. We paid $150 for a room that I would rate as a two-star facility.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We spent three days in the Blue Bay and loved it! We stayed in room 0 which I would highly recommend because of the addition outdoor seating area - we were able to pick up amazing fresh whitefish then eat outside in our lovely Adirondack chairs and watch the action in the Barbour! We are a family of five and even with the addition cot in our room it was a nice room!
Staff was friendly and amazing - there is no air conditioning so I was glad I had brought a fan. Location is perfect and we were able to walk everywhere for the three days! They even have a microwave you can use in the lobby! Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Room 0 was amazing - gave kids room to move around outside!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
InnkeeperK, Innkeeper at Blue Bay Motel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thanks for sharing your story. Bringing your own fan; what a great tip for fellow travelers! We choose to use window and ceiling fans as an environmentally friendly way to keep our guests cool as temperatures stay lower here then in the city negating the need for A/C. Bringing your own fan is a great way to keep the cool breeze we get off Georgian Bay, and the even cooler night air, moving in your room. Check our handy weather camera and weather report on our home page before heading our way to help you plan what to bring. We look forward to seeing you again!
Hanover, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We arrived and the lady at the front desk was very friendly, but the room was not very welcoming, thankfully we only stayed one night. The bathroom was very old and hard to tell if it was clean, our front door had a gap in it when it was closed easy for bugs to get it, our room was very dark and our back window looked into another building which is a pizza place who have camp fires all day so needless to day our room was filled with smoke, not good for allergy suffers like ourselves. The building looks nice from the outside. For the price we paid I was not impressed with the room. We were on the main floor so there was really no view when we sat out at night of the harbour unless you turned your head, otherwise we starred into the parking lot and the wall of the liquor store.......safe to say we will not be going back!

Room Tip: I would recommend if anyone stay to ask for an upper level room as they get a better view and I thin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
InnkeeperK, Innkeeper at Blue Bay Motel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you! Your remarks help other guests better plan their stay. Guests appreciate our neighbor’s proximity when it comes to his delicious wood fired pizza and we hope you took the time to enjoy it while expressing your concerns regarding his operations. We recommend that those with allergies request one of our many renovated rooms, where they are less likely to be bothered by the activities of nearby businesses. All our rooms are spotlessly clean and our retro sheik rooms with their new mattresses and fixtures continue to be requested. Improvements and renovations are ongoing bringing city modern to cottage country. We invite you to return soon and see the wonderful changes for yourself.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The rooms were fine, clean and location great, staff very polite but there is no AC in these rooms (we came during a very hot stretch) and the pitiful window fan didn't do much except blow in some dirt and moths. There were only 2 extra fans they had to offer (which were scooped up long before I asked!) So myself and my 2 young boys had to sweat it out in the sauna! For the price I paid ($150) I wish I would have been advised about this situation and I certainly would have made other arrangements! I hate to post a negative comment but wish someone else would have posted this before I booked!

• Stayed July 2013
InnkeeperK, Innkeeper at Blue Bay Motel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for the account of your recent stay. We like to keep our guests well informed and your candid remarks help us improve. You are not the first to note on this forum that we do not have air conditioning, a luxury still rarely requested in our beautiful lakeside village. We appreciate your statement... ' I hate to post a negative comment'... indicating, along with your other remarks, that had it not been for the heat wave currently being experienced in most of Ontario, your stay would have been most enjoyable. We do find it disheartening that you choose to grossly misrepresent the amount you paid for your stay in your comments. We invite you to visit us again in the spring or fall when the weather is more likely to be to your satisfaction.
Kitchener
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Clean room, perfect location, friendly hostess who checked us in! There are not a lot of choices in this town but this is a good motel. A bit pricey but due to the demand I understand. Parking is a bit tight, but found a good spot behind the motel.

Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My lady friend and I spent a wonderful evening at this lovely little motel. We were greeted with a smile by a very friendly woman at the front desk and check in was fast and efficient as I have stayed here before. This time it was just as good and the view of Little Tub from the upper deck is GREAT.
The only drawback to the room is that it is not air-conditioned. There is a widow fan but air-conditioning would have been appreciated if the weather was hot and humid. Lucky for us the weather was fair and not too hot.
I can recommend this motel as it is well run and very clean.

Room Tip: My lady friend and I spent a wonderful evening at this lovely little motel. We were greeted with a...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This place looks like nothing special from the outside. Just your typical two story motel. We had made reservation ahead of time and when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. We were traveling by motorcycle and when we checked in the woman at checkin had already placed a cone in the parking spot outside our room to reserve it and gave us a map of the best roads to ride. She personally showed us to our room. The room was done in wood, had a view of the harbor, and was comfortable. There are chairs and a table outside each room so that you can sit and enjoy the view. There are plenty of restaurants in within walking distance. The bed was a bit soft for my taste but I slept we'll. My wife and I loved this motel.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room for a view of the marina/water
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Bay Motel? Share your experiences!