“I've met a taco I didn't like...until” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 17 Restaurants in Tobermory
Cuisines: Fish & Chips, Chowder
Good for: Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: We are located at 24 Bay Street with a great view from both our covered and outdoor patios overlooking the Little Tub Harbour and marina.
Hamtramck, MI
“I've met a taco I didn't like...until”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Before I get into why it was a terrible, let me start with the good. Great patio! If you just want beer it's perfect. The staff is really nice, very good service.
We live in an age where anyone can go on a recipe website and find an amazing taco recipe. In fact many of us don't have to because, let's face it, it's not that hard.

My boyfriend and I ordered 3 fish tacos, 1 chicken taco, some calamari, a beer, and ice tea.... $50. Taco were almost $6 each, but I was feeling good about seeing that the owner invested in a giant cartoon fish in a sombrero claiming that they were famous for their fish tacos.
More like infamous, here's what I got. A cold flour tortia, deep fried pieces of fish- with the skin still on, out of the jar salsa, cold cheese, and a smattering of either Miracle Whip or really sweet tartar sauce. I was so hungry. I picked out the skin and tried to eat these things, but I couldn't.
Neither could my boyfriend. We tried the chicken taco- cold tortilla and cheese, literally soaked in an inch of Caesar dressing also super sweet. What does that have to do with a taco?
And that was day we found inedible tacos. I didn't know they existed. Now I've found them.
Maybe their other menu items are better.
It could have been great - a little onion, little cilantro with some appropriate seasoning, homemade salsa, grill some fish, heat up a tortilla...ta-da.

Please try this instead, people will want more:
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 jalapeño, stemmed and chopped
1 pound flaky white fish (such as mahi mahi or white fish), cut into 4 pieces
Salt
8 fresh corn tortillas
Mexican crema, homemade or store-bought
Fresh Tomato Salsa
2 limes, cut into quarters
preparation
Marinate the Onion
Put the onion in a small bowl and pour in enough red wine vinegar to cover well. Set aside for at least 30 minutes or up to several weeks.
Marinate the Fish
Pour the olive oil into a small bowl and add the ancho chile powder, oregano, cumin, chopped cilantro, and jalapeño. Mix well. Place the fish on a dish and pour the marinade over it, making sure to coat the fish well on both sides. Allow to marinate for 20 minutes.
Cook the Fish
Heat a nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Remove the fish from the marinade and place in the hot pan (there is no need to add more oil). Season the fish with salt. Cook the fish for 4 minutes undisturbed, then turn over, and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and flake the fish into the pan with a fork, making sure to mix in all the marinade that has stuck to the bottom of the pan. Check for seasoning and add more salt if necessary. Set aside.
Heat the Tortillas
Place four of the tortillas on a plate and sandwich them between two slightly dampened sheets of paper towel. Microwave on high for 45 seconds. Place the warm tortillas in a towel-lined basket or plate and cover. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Assemble and Serve
To assemble the tacos, place a heaping spoonful of the marinated flaked fish onto the center of a tortilla. Top with the marinated onions. Serve accompanied by Mexican crema and salsa.
Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro sprigs.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Tampa, Florida
“Sadly disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Only went here because the chip truck was closed, and I only ordered chips at this restaurant. You would think a place called the Fish & Chip would know how to cook good chips but NO! I really believe that frozen fries from the local grocery store would taste better than what I could not finish eating ( a first for me) today at this place. We took them to the bay and fed them to the seagulls.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ontario
“Not impressed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I am a vegetarian - but I was travelling with friends who wanted to try the local fish, so we checked out this place.

The service was slow - we were completely ignored by the staff for at least half an hour when we arrived. When we asked if maybe we had to go up to the counter and order the server was rude to us.

There weren't many vegetarian dishes (which was completely understandable and expected - since it is a fish restaurant). So, I ordered a chicken taco and specifically asked for no chicken. The server and I had a good laugh about it - so I know he heard me - and it didn't appear to be a problem. But then the tacos came full of chicken. And the server never came back through our entire meal. So I ate fries instead. They were mediocre at best and my friends said the they ordered wasn't good either. It was overly greasy with nothing special about it.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Very Fresh!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This place was really crowded even on a slow day with bad weather and the food was very fresh: local fish and shrips apparently!

Visited September 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Slow service, crappy food, small portion, expansive bill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Went in during the long weekend, picked this restaurant as it was pretty crowded as compared to others. But what a disappointment, it took us a while to get seated, then more time for the waitress to give us the menu, take order...etc. Felt like eating in Europe, where you have to wait for everything. Probably they are selling the relax atmosphere...

When the food finally arrives, only thing to say is small, $13 for two pieces of small fried fish + fries, another $12 for five small shrimps + fries. I dont mind the portion if the fish taste good, but there's not alot of meat in it and LOTS of fish bones (10 bones in two deep fried fish)... see attached pic. I looked around, everyone gets pretty much the same thing, where some of them seem to be satisfied.... I dunno if i'm having higher expectation than others or what... but i wont go there again for sure.

• Visited September 2013