“Private Island Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Villa   |     |
Margate, United Kingdom
“Private Island Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Having read some of the reviews we weren't sure what we would find. We shouldn't have worried, yes, there are maintenance issues but these are being addressed but the over water bungalow with private pool is perfect if you want complete privacy. It is also the biggest we have ever stayed in, the bathroom itself if bigger than some room suites and the outdoor shower is a lovely addition. The island itself is small but has a beautiful beach with white sands and a lovely lagoon surrounding it. We saw plenty of sealife without the need to snorkel (although there are near-by reefs). Large sting-ray were seen floating past and were magical to watch. The staff were extremely helpful and were extremely friendly (other reviews said the staff were unfriendly, but if you are friendly to them they were certainly friendly back). They also work extremely hard, especially the kitchen staff who produced fantastic meals throughout our 8 night stay. Everything was delicious. The Mosaic restaurant was also extremely good (included in the full board package for lunches) and you can choose from a wide ranging menu. My husband and I are normally fairly critical when it comes to food and we had zero cause to complain. The drinks are a tad expensive (no more expensive than a London restaurant) but there is a happy hour before dinner for cocktails and after dinner for ports and cognacs.
We had a back massage in the spa which was really good, again with great staff who took their time over our treatment, giving us some ginger tea and fruit to enjoy in the treatment room garden.
When we stayed apparently the resort was around 70% full but it really felt that we saw no more than 20 other people (during dinner) at any one time. The villas are so well equipped that we personally only left to have breakfast, lunch or dinner, so if you want some time to completely relax on a beautiful island with good food and little interaction with others then Zithali is a great choice.

Room Tip: Other reviews suggested the sunset villas were best, these are pretty much on the reef and as the na...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

195 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I had a pleasant time in the resort for my honeymoon. However I lost my necklace in the resort and the staff found it left in the room safe later. With a lot of email exchanges, it went from "we will arrange the mailing to you" to "it is very difficult to mail things out of Male" to totally no response at all.... I have done many phone calls and follow-up emails just without any reply. I wonder if "kept other's valuable and not return" is kinda of an act of theft? this is really annoying and unacceptable for a five-star resort! especially after all the good experience and gorgeous views on the island, this really brought the level of the resort to the bottom!!!! if you do want to stay on the island, better not expect any extra service and better not left anything carelessly!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This was our first time to Maldives and we were very excited about the entire trip. I think we chose the best time to visit Madlives, the weather was just perfect , the sun wasn’t too strong, no rains( except a few drizzles) , I was very skeptical about the sun being extra harsh and would cover myself with tonnes of sunscreen but frankly I could have done without it. It was just a perfectly romantic weather.
We landed at Male airport by 8am local time, zithali staff was waiting outside the departure and promptly guided us to the bus for the zitahli lounge, our luggage was weighed and checked in to the sea plane right outside the Male airport departure so we dint have to worry about taking care of our luggage anymore till we waited for our departure to the resort, we were also handed in our boarding passes for the sea plane . The bus dropped us to Zitahli lounge (5-10 min from the airport) and we waited there for about an hour, I didn’t mind this wait at the lounge as it gave us sometime to relax before we took another flight. They provided us with a refreshing drink(juices/tea etc) of our choice and made us fill in our details in the resort checking form for an easy checking at the resort. After about an hour, we were guided to a bus which dropped us at the departure terminal for the sea plane, the sea plane journey was a nice experience, it took us roughly an hour to the resort, the views from the plane were beautiful and took our excitement to another level altogether. The plane ride may be a little trouble some for people with motion sickness as the landing and takeoff is a little bumpy.So overall the sea plane experience was a novel one for us , I however found it overrated for the price.

I was spellbound the moment we landed at Zithali, the island is beyond beautiful. We were taken to the reception and greeted with a welcome drink which I loved, we were then shown around the island in the resort buggy, it’s a small island with only 50 villas. I liked this fact as this ensures nothing at the resort is crowded and you get all the privacy you want. It felt like I am living a dream when we walked over the bridge to our room ( Ocean villa with pool). The room is HUGE by any standards, we had seen videos of the room on the internet and were kind of expecting it to be grand and we were not disappointed one bit. The pool and the view outside the pool all seemed magical, I had never seen something more beautiful, I loved it.Infact our favorite pass time was to look down in the sea and count the number of fishes, the water is so pristine, clear blue, I felt like I could spend my life looking at it.
I had read about the rooms needing some repair on some reviews on tripadvisor, I think the resort management is cognizant of that and they are doing some repair work in few villas , however that caused no discomfort /disturbance to us.

The Jacuzzi in the bathroom was again HUGE, it took time to fill as I said it was HUGE, but something that you can live with.

Now comes the food, we were not on full/half board as we weren’t sure if we would like the food selection in the buffet. Breakfast spread had a variety of options , it was served at the beach facing restaurant- Breeze. We had no complaints with the breakfast at all, for the first day we went to Mosaic for lunch and ordered a few Italian dishes, though the service was quick , somehow the taste wasn’t suited to our pallete and we ended up wasting all the food. Now that seemed hard as the food is very expensive on the island, they charge 5$ for 1 bottle of water that can give you an assessment of how expensive the food is. The chef however was kind enough to come and talk to us and understand what food do we prefer. He would customize the food according to our taste till the time we were there.

We did some watersports on the second day and loved the experience, our villa had a direct access to the reef and it was beautiful. I tried their SPA, frankly had a bad experience, the massage wasn’t great and they charged me for 90 min for 60 min of service. I took that up with the manager and after a few follow ups , he did compensate me for the bad experience.

At the end of the stay, I didn’t feel like leaving the place and that’s testimony to the fact that I had a wonderful time there. The island as I said is beautiful, the coral is great, the food is OK , staff is friendly and service is great.

I would definitely recommend this place to someone who is looking for a getaway from busy city life, the silence and beauty of the place is healing, beyond words.

Room Tip: Take the ocean villa with pool on the sunset side
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Zitahli and we had a wonderful time.

I wasn't too keen at first to take a seaplane to our hotel as it was making our journey longer. But the lounge and the service made us feel like royalty and the feeling of only being able to get to this island by plane makes one feels special too.

We had a water bungalow with pool which was great and I would def recommend it. Yes as per previous comments the bungalows needs refreshing but how else can it be when you use wooden material permanently facing the ocean on an island in the middle of nowhere.

The only negative was the food which was very pricey. I would recommend to have at least the Half board option. We did and we were very happy with it. We actually were so impressed by the quality of the food and the variety at every diner.

Otherwise the island is perfect for privacy and it is so beautiful. The picture perfect place but what we were most impressed with was the reef. We had planned on diving as certified diver but we didn't even bother. Every day we would snorkel and see something else amazing right in front of our eyes: sting ray, black tip reef shard, turtles, so many colorful fish, a 1.5 meters barracuda etc... We have dived several time on the barrier reef and were so impressed to see as much just by walking down the ladder our bungalow.

Overall Zitahli may not be exactly a 5 star but the staff is friendly and welcoming. In comparing with the wide range of very expensive hotels out there, Zitahli is definitely worth its value. It is a wonderful place where we would get back anytime.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We travelled on our honeymoon. Spell bound to land there. beautiful in every form. the villa was huge and lovely. spectacular view from the room. Private pool and through the pool you step into the Lagoon. thus a private snorkelling experience as well.

Service was great. the people at resort were nice. they took special care of us being the only vegetarians at the resort.

food was nice. beach was clean. I can go back there a 100 times...!!!

Room Tip: We stayed at the Superdeluxe Aqua villa..it is an amazing value for money.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The resort is gorgeous, but their service and their attitude are extremely unacceptable. I stayed two nights there. On the first night, I took a bath at their giant Jacuzzi. After all the bubble and water went down, I found a disgusting worm lying in the Jacuzzi! It is really disturbing, so I filed a complaint. The guy handling my complaint did not apologize or offer any condolence. Simply, he said he will send his house keeping team to check and spray that area. Well, as I understand that this is a necessary step for its hotel management, I didn't take it as a measure of assisting me in any way. I said, ok, but we are not going to use the Jacuzzi tonight as it is very scary and disturbing. Then there he goes, what else do you want me to do for you? I was a bit confused. First, I don't think sending a house keeping team to clear the Jacuzzi is something for me - this is something they ought to and have to do for themselves; secondly, what has happened to me has happened, I don't really think they can do anything about it. But this man, sitting opposite to me, looking all impatient, asked me again, so what else do you expect us to do?

I was completely pissed. Is this what I should be treated after bathing with a disgusting worm in this 5-star resort? I don't even know whether I will get any disease! No apology! No condolence! All I got was the attitude as if I was the one who put the worm in the Jacuzzi!

We had a fight. And the man taking care of the customer complaint looked all angry and impatient, even after his colleague came and asked him to stop there. At the end, all he kept saying was he will send a house keeping team to check and find out how and why this happened. He said he came to assist, but I honestly can't see how he assists, if not making things even worse. At the end, he agreed that there will be a house keeping team going to our deluxe water villa and investigate the reason and there will be a written confirmation on the description of the worm (whether it will cause any disease) and a formal apology.

However, even when we checked out the next day, nobody has ever came; nobody has ever followed up with us on this again! We did try to call the reception once and asked him where is the team that they were supposed to send in. He only said, "oh sorry, I don't know what is going on. Do you remember whom you have spoken to?". Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the guy that I spoke to at the reception area when I filed th complaint. So I said, sorry I can't remember. But you can ask any of your colleagues. There were about 6 staffs at the reception when we had the fight. I'm sure you can get the name. The reception said, sorry, without the name, we can't help. Then was the end. Nobody has ever followed up on this.

When we checked out, I asked them again. This time, another guy came up, and said, they can't issue any formal apology letter and he can send the house keeping team now to investigate and give us an answer before we leave. That was 40 hours after the incident and 24 hours after the complaint; and that was after we checked out from the hotel. One hour later, this guy came and told us it was because of the rainy season, and this incident of bathing with worm could happen. Of course, he offered his oral apologies this time, without much sincerity though. That's all they have done to handle this issue.

This is the first time that I feel, and a very strong feeling, that this hotel don't give it a [--] that we are their guests. I feel like, except writing a review of them on tripadvisor, I can't do nothing about it. They don't care. I guess to them, this is just another stupid guest making annoying complaints; but I'm sure to most of us, Maldives is a life-time experience. Thanks to them, they ruined my beautiful memories and vacation in such an amazing place.

By the way, they are very "careful" about giving out their toiletries. We had a huge bathroom, which included a giant jacuzzi, a outdoor shower and an indoor shower. All we had in the bathroom was one bath gel, one shampoo, one conditioner, one body lotion, one soap, one shower cap and one nail care kit (wonder how the nail care kit was selected...). The girl showing us the room told us that the toiletries will be replaced after being used. However, the next day, they only gave us one more bath gel, because there was only 20% left. For the shampoo, conditioner and body lotion which was about 50% left, no replenishment. I actually called the reception and requested for immediate replenishment because I was about to shower. After 2 hours, the house keeping team came, with a bottle of shower gel and shampoo only. I returned the shower gel and asked for a bottle of conditioner, which he gave me; and a bottle of body lotion, which he said he doesn't have. I don't know how much the toiletries cost, but I'm sure they must be super expensive that they acted so carefully in sending them away.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Shameem S, Manager at Zitahli Kuda-Funafaru Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us on your holiday and taking your precious time to give us your comments and feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am deeply sad to hear of the problems that you faced during the short stay with us. In particular, the incident of a worm in your bath tub is of extreme concern to me and my team here. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience caused.

I have personally checked with the team here about this particular incident and our Front Office Manager who met you at the reception on the day of incident (04/09/2013) has explained to me everything in detail. With this regard, I would appreciate if you would be willing to communicate by email in order to discuss further.

Please note as a valued guest we do care about you the same way we care for all of our guests as we understand and value the importance of our customer satisfaction. When there is anything that is an inconvenience to a guest , we go the extra mile to ensure that it is solved immediately.

With regards to the provision of amenities in the Villa, please note we provide sufficient of these items in the villas every day and replenishing is made whenever required. However, if you thought that our house keeping staff acted inappropriately in providing the amenities, we would definitely look into this and take the necessary steps to avoid any repetition.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Warm Regards
Shameem Saleem
Resort Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed at Zitahli this August and had the most splendid time of my life... We wanted a private outing and our reservation officer Shammoon Ali was so efficient and considerate that we got the best villa in the entire property Villa 29, superb views and spacious villas, would most certainly recommend it to everyone :-)

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Zitahli Kuda-Funafaru Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!