“Wonderful experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Manafaru Island
Dubai
“Wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife and daughter (21 yrs) had our first trip to Maldives over New Year and had an amazing time on this wonderful island!
Thanks to Philippe, Nicolas, Richard and the staff (associates) at the island for making our stay so special - boat trip snorkling, dolphine cruise, fish feeding and the array of water at sports activity for all.
There are 3 main restaurants in addition to the private underground Cellar Restaurant with an assortment of around 3.000 wines and we had our final departing private evening bbq dinner on the lovely beach by the Infinity Pool prepared by Richard the Head Chef and his great team. That is 5 options to eat in the evening not as mentioned in an earlier review stating only 3 options!!
We loved the Ocean Grill and the New Year celebration which was so tastefully and beautifully organised.
Thanks to Kate at the Spa for being so friendly and helpful with last minute plans - she even arranged at short notice a massage therapist to come in on her day off as the Spa was extremely popular! What service.
Thanks Imran and Falah who looked after our every needs during our visit. You both were amazing. We stayed at the Water Villas which were spacious, clean and enjoyed stunning sunset vistas. My wife did sunset yoga on our terrace!
We saw Luis Figo and his family at the resort and a fun Rugby and Football match was arranged with him, staff and guests on the beach!
We made many friends and were made to feel like family and we are definitely returning back again!

Stayed December 2014
Nikolaos_Sifounios, Executive Assistant Manager at JA Manafaru, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Norman W,

Thank you for staying with us and for your fantastic review of our resort. Your positive feedback will certainly motivate us to provide the very best for our guests. I will share your gracious words of praise and appreciation with my entire team.

I am happy to know that you enjoyed the food at each of our outlets and to hear that you were able to enjoy the very many activities and experiences we offer our guests and now treasure the cherished memories of your Maldivian New Year Celebration.

I am glad you are looking at returning and when you plan your next trip to our part of the world, feel free to liaise with me directly on nikolaos.sifounios@jaresorts.com so I can be personally involved in ensuring another heartfelt hospitality of JA Manafaru.

Nikolaos Sifounios
Executive Assistant Manager

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was our first trip to the Maldives and I was really anxious to get the full experience. Since the Maldives is notoriously expensive, I booked us on an all-inclusive package (even though we rarely drink) so we wouldn't have to think about pricing while we were there. After a very busy last quarter of the year, this was a truly spectacular way to relax and celebrate the holidays. We were 2 adults and a 12 year old and stayed in a sunrise water villa and truly loved every minute!

THE TRANSFER OVER:
As we were coming in from HK in the evening, we spent the night at the Traders and took the 11am flight to the island. Yes, the flight is long, about 75 minutes, but super gorgeous! It is amazing to pass over all amazing reefs and islands along the way. Once you get there and land in this beautiful place it really feels worth the travel. Loved that we were directly whisked to our room for check in vs spending time in some reception area.

THE ROOM:
Gorgeous over the water villa, sunrise facing. I did wake up early enough to see the sun rise a couple of times and it was lovely. A very thoughtful design to the room with large doors closing out the bedroom from the desk area if you need to take calls or closing out the bathroom from the rooms. Big comfy bed and a nice daybed type of bed for my son. The toilet and shower areas were half open to the outside (but completely private) so we could see gorgeous fish and have the beautiful outdoor feel whilst showering. I beyond loved the outside deck area. We spent A LOT of time out there starting with morning snorkels under our deck where there were amazing fish at every turn and finishing with late afternoon reading on the deck. We had them bring an extra beach chair for us so all 3 of us had a comfy spot. We were in a room near the end of the jetty which was great for topless sunbathing since it was so private. The sunset side was definitely busier since the seaplane lands there and is docked there over night. Can not stress enough how lovely this room was and how private and quiet it was. Really amazing!
Housekeeping was really great, twice per day, and our housekeeper had a great smile and lovely attitude and kept our room in wonderful condition.

THE BEACH:
I LOVE a great beach so thought I would have spent more time sitting on the beach but since we had such a wonderful over water villa where I could jump in anytime I got hot, we didn't spend much time sitting on the beach. The sand is amazing though, truly soft and super white and gorgeous and we did go in the water there while doing water sports or having lunch at the Infinity pool but they don't have any beach chairs at the Water Sports Center or generally around the island (since they want the Beach villas to feel like they have their own slice of the beach to themselves).
The entire island has a circumference of 1.6km so really great for taking a walk around.

WATERSPORTS & DIVING:
My son enjoyed the windsurfing and sailing (although there wasn't much wind for either) and they also have canoes etc. They give you snorkels to use in your room for your time there which was great to have so we didn't have to pack ours. The snorkelling around the island is really nice - the fish are really varied and beautiful! The guys running the centre are really nice.
The diving centre manager, Bea, was fantastic!!! A super lovely Italian lady who has been there for years and was really easy going, flexible and friendly. Nothing was a problem and she made sure we got exactly what we wanted, when we wanted. My husband and son did their next level diving certification with Dawa and he was a good instructor and fun and thorough. Overall, a great experience at the Diving Club!

FOOD:
Ocean Grill was our favourite and Madheeh, one of the servers, was a favourite with our family for his great attitude and for allowing my son to fish out his own lobsters for dinner :-)
The executive Chef from New Zealand was visible throughout our stay and made my son very happy at the end of our trip with a nice care package of some of the Christmas cookies and chocolates. There are 2 restaurants for lunch - I liked the infinity pool one, although I would recommend putting a few salads on the menu there; and my family liked Andiamo for pizzas (and I loved the Tuna salad there) although it is kind of a jungle atmosphere and we always got lots of mosquito bites when eating there near the pool.
Christmas dinner was fantastic at Kakuni, with a crazy amount of choice and the Maldivian buffet was really wonderful, with curries from all over the world, that are made to order, as well as bbq seafood and lots of other choice. Breakfast was a little boring after awhile but enough choice to ensure everyone could find something.
Overall the restaurants were quite good and a good amount of choice for an island of this size. Being on all inclusive there were things that were not included for us but there was plenty of choice on the AI menu and we definitely felt like we overindulged during our time there.

SERVICE:
Really, really great! From the GM and Management who were always present to Karina who was super sweet to all the restaurant staff who tried their very best and Bea and the diving and watersports teams to housekeeping - everyone we encountered was wonderfully helpful and friendly and always wanted to know what they could do to make our stay even better. For Christmas they even a party where Santa handed out gifts to the kids and someone had actually thought to open up the remote control car they gave my son and put in batteries before giving it to him. Really thoughtful!!
Rameez, our room butler, was fantastic and somehow showed up at random times when we were having lunch or at the watersport centre to take our dinner reservations or see how things were going. We had plenty of privacy but he was always there when needed.

OVERALL:
WOW!! This really felt like paradise. When we arrived we were one of only 5 rooms or so (since they are continuing to refurbish some of the rooms so are not ready for full capacity) and even at their fullest after Christmas we continued to have so much quiet and privacy. Besides hanging out in your own amazing deck, there are lots of quiet spots around the island. This was the most relaxed we have ever been on holiday and would definitely recommend this island!! Loved it!!

Room Tip: Sunrise water villa near end of jetty for maximum privacy.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Dear KSJones1,

Thank you for staying with us over the festive Christmas season and for your wonderful review of our lovely resort. I am glad our product and team were able to live up to and exceed all expectations for such a heading of "WOW" and it is wonderful to receiving a 5* rating from someone such as yourselves, with 40+ reviews and obviously as well traveled as you are judging by your profile, is appreciated and well received.

We are very proud of our product and our guest experience, there is a lot of belief in what we do and we try for this to be felt by our guests. We are the northernmost located resort in Maldives and offers utmost privacy and the charm of a hideaway location to our guests.

You have covered most areas within our resort not just our very spacious and modern villas with their privacy, but the other areas like the food and beverage and the little things that make a difference and contribute to the overall guest experience. Our team here are wonderful with a very genuine and caring nature, who do get great satisfaction and pride by ensuring our guests enjoy their time with us. From the watersports and diving team provide an unforgettable underwater experience, our F&B team provide a great culinary journey for all of our guests, then our butler will arrange as much or as little as possible depending on the reason for our guests to be here. I will certainly convey your gracious words of praise and appreciation to my entire team.

We will be making a lot improvement on every aspects which I am sure you will be delighted to see them upon your return.

Thank you once again and when you plan your next trip to our part of the world, feel free to liaise with me directly on nikolaos.sifounios@jaresorts.com so I can be personally involved in ensuring another heartfelt hospitality of JA Manafaru.

Nikolaos Sifounios
Executive Assistant Manager
Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

If you're looking for a quiet, relaxing, luxurious island then this is the resort for you. When I say quiet, I mean almost deserted. During our stay it felt like there were only 10 guests on the island. We were shocked to find out that it was 90% full. Some days we had the beach to ourselves so it truly felt like being on a desert island. At the pool there would be at most 10 people and all the other guest choose to use their beautiful villas to relax & sunbathe.

Sea Villas
The villas are a very good size & are extremely private. You have your own pool and decking area where you can sunbathe. Most people stay all day at their villa and it is more than big enough for 2 people. They are cleaned twice a day & fresh towels are replaced. They provide all the toiletries that you could need and they are from the luxury brand Elemis. We stayed in room 529 which meant you had the sun on your decking until around 2pm. If you want the sun longer then I suggest you book a sea villa on the sunset side. The room did not have a music system which would have been nice to relax to and also it is the only 5 star resort that I have been to that doesn't provide a beach bag. Also the villa did not have any insect repellant candles or essential oils unlike other resorts I have been too. I got some very bad bites.

The restaurants were fantastic. Personally the Ocean Grill & The Cellar restaurants were our favourite. The cellar is a must see & the chef is fantastic. He made our dining experience that extra special by coming out & chatting to us. The food was generally superb but we were disappointed with the breakfast. It was fine for the first couple of days but it became very boring after that. It would have been nice if there was a change from day to day.

Staff
The staff were very friendly and helpful. We really liked the staff in the horizon bar, they were very welcoming.

Sea plane
The last Sea plane left at 4pm and they do not wait for you. If you fly with Ethiad airlines then they arrive at 2:40pm and if they are delayed then be prepared to have to stay in Male for the night. The flight by sea plane is 75 minutes. It is the furthest northern island from the Male.

Overall it is a resort I would I return too. I have stayed in many 5 star resorts worldwide and this resort definitely lived up to my expectations. The beach, sea, pool area are exactly like a postcard picture of the Maldives. Yes I have made some small criticism but these were only small and not impact on the enjoyment or luxury we experienced. The hotel had recently been taken over by new owners from Dubai so they are continuing to make improvements. I see that some other people on trip advisor have heavily criticised this resort but personally I cannot understand why? Yes it is expensive but so is everywhere in the Maldives. Some people clearly come to the resort begrudging the money they have spent. They have come with a negative attitude & looking for faults. This place is paradise and its unfortunate if you leave not wanting to stay longer. Also whilst we were there a high profile Portuguese footballer was staying on the island with his family and also a Russian Female celebrity. Both enjoyed there stay and had all the privacy they needed.

Room Tip: Great for couples looking for privacy & relaxation.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Philippe , General Manager at JA Manafaru, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Kirsty236,

Thank you for staying with us over the festive Christmas season and for your wonderful review of our lovely resort. It is long way to come from Scotland, but I am glad we made it worth your while.

The resort is indeed a very special place and simply brilliant for couples that would like to spend quality time together. Our villa product is modern, spacious and perfect for couples who want to relax as you both did. We provide a very tranquil environment with discreet service, with our team gaining great satisfaction from seeing our guests depart happy. If you are happy then we are happy and this is a common feeling among the property as it is the environment we promote. I will share your gracious words of praise and appreciation with my entire team.

We are delighted to read that you had a great culinary journey with us and thank you again for the great compliments to our culinary team.

We are happy to read that you had such a great time at JA Manafaru despite some mosquitoes, however kindly be informed that we have provided the mosquito repellent and an electronic insect killer in every villas.

We are far from perfect but as seen by the many reviews, we get it absolutely right the overwhelming majority of the time so consistency and service lives up to different expectations.

Thank you once again for your detailed input of your time with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We spent 7 nights at JA Manafaru and absolutely loved it. Crystal clear blue and turquoise water, white sandy beaches, a luxurious resort, nice snorkeling, excellent food, great service and wonderful staff and friendly and helpful management. We stayed in a sunset water villa (beautifully furnished with own pool and direct ocean access from the terrace and glass-bottom floor in the living area), where Imran looked after us like royalty. We enjoyed a wonderful sunset cruise, watching at least 10 dolphins joining our journey and we celebrated at the perfectly hosted New Years Eve Party and sang along with the wonderful musicians at the Horizon bar. Try the Wagyu tenderloin at the Ocean Grill Restaurant - hardly ever had better meat. We travelled the world and this is one of the prettiest places we have seen. On our last night the chef cooked for us a special dinner on the beach with traditional food - absolutely wonderful.
We flew with Emirates to Male and took the seaplane to Manafaru and already enjoyed the fantastic view of the Maldivian Islands and the incomparable colours of the Indian Ocean in this part of the world. We felt this was paradise and we will return end of this year.

Room Tip: The water villas are superb
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Dear Gabi R,

Thank you for staying with us and for your wonderful review of our resort.

I am glad you felt like royalty during your time with us which I have shared your compliments with Imran and thanked him for making a difference to your experience.

It was a great pleasure to share your comments with my team and we are very honored to read about your description of our resort as being 'paradise’.

We are also very honoured that you chose to ring in the new year with us and enjoyed the celebration.

It is great to know that you had such a good time and truly enjoyed the water villa and all the aspects of the property including our cuisine and the diversity of activities offered which you were able to explore many of them during your stay.

The entire team and I look forward to welcoming you back to our ‘paradise’ at the end of this year for another enchanting memories.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I am currently staying here and I am completely disappointed. Of course the island is beautiful, soft white sand, blue seas, it's the Maldives. The hotel, however, is not what I expected for the vast amount of money I have paid to stay here on an all inclusive board for 6 days.
Stay in a Sunrise Water Villas. I am currently in the Sunset Water Villas which faces the side of the Island which has the sea plane landing and the speed boats which travel all day AND NIGHT. It's very loud. There is also little sun on my patio despite being told that the sun will be on our side on the island by afternoon. Worse of all I have cockroaches in my bedroom, mould in the shower, dirt in the bath tub which has not been cleaned so I am unable to use it, and bed bugs (currently have several lumps over my body due to the bites).
You have to get a sea plane to the island as it is very far from Male airport, which would be fine if everyone could fit on the plane. My family and I were told that we had to get a domestic flight for 50 minutes and then a speed boat for 45 minutes to get to the island. We were only informed of this change once arriving in Male airport. We currently have no way of leaving the island as the sea plane is again "full" and although we will refuse travelling on the sickly speed boat again, we have not even been offered that option. So we are stuck on this Island and may miss our flight back to the UK as a result. The management and service have not confirmed any departure details despite us enquiring about it every day.
The all inclusive options in the 3 (NOT 7) restaurants are limited and you cannot order as much as you like which is what I would expect from an all inclusive package.
We have spent a lot of money on this holiday and unless things change in the next day or so it would have been a complete waste. We will not be returning again.

• Stayed December 2014
Philippe , General Manager at JA Manafaru, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Sanah87,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at JA Manafaru.

It is with great disappointment that I read your review, which highlighted that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It is certainly not our intention to have any of our guests disappointed; however, it is clear that we have failed to meet your expectations in many ways during your stay with us.

I would be most interested to discuss the shortcomings and your concerns in detail and I would like to invite you to contact me at philippe.lamadieu@jaresorts.com.

Despite your disappointment, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2014

Me and my husband stayed in JA Manafaru at the beginning of November and we were very pleased. After warm welcome we got dropped at our beach villa, though it is a basic category it offers unbelievable amount of space, both indoor and outdoor.

You can find many activities on the island, lot of motorized and unmotorized water sports, 7 restaurants and bars. Plus they offer cooking class with maldivian chef, which is a truly amazing experience. Chief chef is also a sweetheart. You can try a dolphin cruise and diving. You will not get bored, for sure. We did surfing class with Jason, who is fantastic. He did a miracle and though it was a first time for my husband, he managed to teach him the basics on the water, which was really great.

The staff is wonderful, well trained, helpful and caring. They are listening to you and reacting to any impulses you may have.

We stayed only 2 nights on the island and did not want to leave. In fact we stayed on four different islands, as we wanted to experience different places. We travelled with Atoll Hideaway who did a wonderful job and helped us to make our dream happen. They work on very professional level. I definitely recommend to travel with them.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Philippe , General Manager at JA Manafaru, responded to this review, December 21, 2014
Dear ChinchillaSillvi,

First of all let me express to you what a pleasure it was to have you and your husband staying with us. Thank you for this absolutely amazing and detailed review.. It's when reading such positive feedback, the team put their best smile on and hit the floor to push our standards higher making guests happy and in many cases, building up personal friendships.

I am very glad you were able to experience our product albeit only for a short period, but we were able to make it memorable enough for you to write this entry.

The resort is simply perfect for couples that appreciate the peaceful and romantic ambiance of the resort and the services provided by our team, casual and relaxed approach always enthusiastic to provide the best possible service.

I am happy to learn that you enjoyed the diversity of activities offered and that you were able to explore many of them during your stay and I also shared your compliments with our Chef and thanked them for making a difference to your culinary journey with us.

Thank you once again for your compliments regarding our team at the resort: everyone of them make the difference.

The entire team and I wishing you a happy holiday season.
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2014

It was my first experience though it was work related but certainly felt like honeymoon experience even with out a man next to me…We caught a sea plane to our resort as it was the furthest island resort from Male port and it was truly an amazing experience of a life time. The welcome was so personal and as we arrived with our working cast, The GM of the group came with his team and it was truly special. They offered 8 different restaurants on the island it the whole resort was just a dream come true. The rooms to my own island was just breath taking and waking up at 5.30am to do a little of meditation with the whole sea to yourself was something I will never forget. I can't thank enough to the group and the resort for such an one a life experience. It's private and just so peaceful...Totally recommendable.

Room Tip: You just have to check this resort for yourself…they offered so much actives, snorkelling , diving a...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear GalinaTat,

We are so happy to hear that you have enjoyed your moments with us and that we could leave such a wonderful and lasting impression with you. Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on Trip Advisor and to share your personal experience at the JA Manafaru with the TA community.

It was indeed a pleasure meeting you and truly enjoyed our chats and interaction.
Nothing like waking up in the morning to do little meditation as you revel in the sea of bliss that surrounds you. Glad you enjoyed it every day!

Thank you so much for your kind words and compliments and we are truly glad that you enjoyed the genuine hospitality of our team, cuisine and overall ambiance of the property.

The entire team and I wishing you a happy holiday season.
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Philippe Lamadieu

Been to JA Manafaru? Share your experiences!