We are loyal platinum members and decided to stay at the Sheraton as one of two resorts during our vacation. The reviews about snorkeling at the Sheraton were so mixed, with some describing it as the best snorkeling they had ever seen, we decided to check it out. The snorkeling consists of small patches of growing reef (the patches are like 2-3 feet at most each), and while you do see some fish, other resorts, also within a 20 minute boat ride from the airport, allows you to see10x the amount of reef and fish easily off the beach. We did see a shark and a manta ray swimming in the lagoon, but they seemed lonely and out of place w/o a reef or other fish. As a tip, seems like the back overwater bungalow lagoon had the most fish on the side closest to Shine spa and the opposite end where the manmade bunkers were. There was barely any snorkeling in the front lagoon. There is shark feeding every day, but it could be made educational, rather than a worker just throwing fish into the water.
I know that people look for different things on their vacations, and if you are not in it for the off the beach snorkeling, then I think this would be a great place to stay, especially with kids. Not all positive, had some negative issues, including my daughter getting food poisoning from breakfast, and receiving a 5am wakeup call that was supposed to be for someone else. As a platinum member using points, they did not initially give us a very good room and we did not feel like we received any special recognition at check-in. Actually, it seemed like we got the worse in the category we booked b/c we used points. The second day, we happened to pass by the front desk, and met a wonderful staff member named Rochelle upgraded us to overwater bungalows for a day (based on availability) and then put us in an partial beachfront view room that was better located than we were in before. She went out of her way to make us feel special, checking in to make sure we enjoyed our stay. We got an amazing welcome chocolate structure that was the most impressive I've ever seen. I feel like the resort had a few stand out employees and the rest (like at the dive shop) were just ok.
Kids loved the kids' club, and the woman (Isa?) is really wonderful and took the kids' interest into account. I thought the kids club would be too babyish for my primary age children, but she took them to hidden spots to find hermit crabs. I am so shocked no one has said anything about the kids pass. For 15 USD/kid + tax a day, your kid can eat a 3 course meal each meal, provided you order food as well. The menu you can choose from is great, includes healthy choices like grilled chicken or fish, fresh veggies, in addition to the junky kid stuff. The food prices for adults were decent for resort costs, 20-30 USD typically for an entree. Not cheap, but I've seen worse and the Maldives is just an expensive place. The food was good, and it was great that there is a choice b/t continetal, thai, and indian. Also, unlike other resorts, there is food option available all day, so you don't have to wait until 7:30pm to eat dinner like at other resorts.
Rooms- as we saw the overwater bungalow and the beachfront villas, both were great rooms but we loved the overwater bungalow even though they were smaller. It is nice to sit on the balcony and watch fishes, etc, go by. The rooms were clean, no ants or bugs. No sea lice in the water, but the island does have mosquitos so bring repellent. They offer free tennis and ping pong, and will provide the paddles for free too. All in all a nice place to relax, or go for a second half of a vacation when the kids tire of snorkeling on another island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa is situated on it's own private island surrounded by tropical landscaping and turquoise lagoons. With 176 guest rooms reflecting the tropical destination featuring the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed. Facing the sunrise with spectacular views of the Indian Ocean are 20 Ocean Villas offer large bathrooms, comfortable living spaces and luxurious outdoor living areas complete with infinity edge plunge pools.Sheraton Maldives is just a 15-minute boat ride from Malé International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Hotel North Male Atoll
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort And Spa
- Full Moon Maldives
- Full Moon Hotel Maldives
- Full Moon Resort Maldives