Just got back from this wonderful family holiday. The Maldives are amazing and I will definitely go back.
Here are my pluses to staying at the Sheraton:
- Quick boat ride to resort (no waiting at airport, etc)
- Beautiful resort which never felt busy or crowded
- Good breakfast buffet - nice selection, minor daily changes, continental and local food available
- Family friendly, but I would say it was about 90% couples
- Staff was very friendly and efficient (called housekeeping as our shower and sink were not draining and they fixed within 15 minutes)
- Room was a good size (+ balcony) and always clean (however, there was constantly sand everywhere.....impossible to get rid of on an island, I guess.....but, sand in sheets is no fun:)
- they supplied bottled water everyday
- beach towels are everywhere and readily available (really nice compared to some resorts where you have to check them out, etc)
- Stingrays and small black tip sharks live in the 'lagoon'......nice to see while swimming
- Larger fish on the side of the island with the overwater bungalows
Here are my minuses to staying at the Sheraton:
- Main beach is synthetic. Coral has been removed. Berms have been added to create a lagoon.
- The more 'natural beach' is on the side of the island with all of the overwater bungalows so the view is obscured
-It seems much of the coral is dead on this side of the island, although regenerating
-We used SPG points to offset the price of our room.....I think we were given the worst room (location-wise) on the island. Disappointing when you have (or, just had) gold status and when you want to use your points you get the crap room.
-Room is called "Beach Front Deluxe" which was the case for some of those rooms.....but ours was the furthest from the beach....no view.
- Beach events with band on Thursday and Friday nights.....meaning drumming from 7pm to 9pm while our daughter was trying to sleep - if you're in villas, bungalows or in SPG preferred rooms, you won't hear this. But, cottages and regular Beach Front Deluxe rooms will.
- empty water bottles floating on the water.....really sad especially when leaving and speedboat went through about 1000 bottles floating on water just outside berms
We went on the group snorkeling trip to the "Fish Aquarium". They took us just next to the Bandos Resort and we snorkeled their island reef. It was beautiful! Amazing coral and fish. Saw a turtle.
So, in summary....we had a nice stay at the Sheraton. However, I think for our next trip to the Maldives, we will go to another resort/island.