We spent 6 nights at Full Moon as part of our honeymoon. We chose this resort after extensive research and concluding that we wanted to spend at least part of our time in a deluxe over- water bungalow (the signature accomodation of the Maldives) without having to pay the exuberant prices offered by other hotels. Full Moon didn't disappoint.
The most amazing feature for us was the landscape (see attached photos) - all those images of tropical islands which you see on travel shows and postcards are truly realised here. The waters are truly warm, clear and turquoise, the sand is truly white and fine and there is plenty of vegetation including lush palm trees decorating almost the entire island. There is also the sense of space where frequently we had the entire beach to ourselves.
As for the rooms, we spent half of our time in the beach bungalows. Our only compaint here was that it was dimly lit but otherwise the room was new and beautiful with a large bed and clean furniture. The outdoor shower and bath certainly add to the island feel. There is an decent collection of satellite tv channels almost all in English for when it rains. The balcony opens up near the beach but bear in mind that the majority of the bungalows (including ours) do not open directly onto the beach.
The remaining half of our time was spent in the water bungalows. This is definitely a higher level of luxury. There is a large king size four poster bed facing panoramic views of uninterupted turquoise ocean. The bathtub has similar views. Banana chairs are provided on the balcony where you can step directly into the ocean. Like other reviewers have mentioned, the coral is quite sharp here so we chose to swim on the other side which is only a minute's walk away.
We chose the bed and breakfast option. Breakfast offered an extensive buffet. We had small meals at the Anchorage Bar for lunch whilst sitting next to the ocean feeding the amazing collection of tropical fish which approach the shallow waters. The sting rays, eels and reef sharks are fed by staff at 6pm every evening.
We tried the Full Moon, Ban Thai, Sand Coast and Atoll Grill restaurants for dinner. All are priced similar to what you would expect at any city restaurant in Australia even when you include the 10% surcharge that most people talk about. The food is decent but our favourite was the Sand Coast cafe where we had the Maldivian lobster curry with massive chunks of real lobster for only $21.
All sports must be paid for except for table tennis and the gym (which is new and well equipped). We were disappointed that even non motorised sports like canoeing and wind surfing incured a cost. But don't let that deter you. This must be one of the best places in the world to try wind surfing if you're a beginner like us - calm, wide open blue waters with only a gentle breeze to carry you along.
The resort offers a spa and massage place on a separate island which is connected to the main island by a small walkway. We thought the price here was in fact cheaper based on the length of the massage compared to what is available in Australia.
The staff at the resort are generally very nice although the service is not always fast and efficient - this is afterall an island and things are very casual and relaxed. We aimed to let little things like this not detract from our honeymoon.
In summary, we truly had an amazing honeymoon here. It really is a paradise island at an affordable price. Enjoy the pics.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa is situated on it's own private island surrounded by tropical landscaping and turquoise lagoons. With 176 guest rooms reflecting the tropical destination featuring the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed. Facing the sunrise with spectacular views of the Indian Ocean are 20 Ocean Villas offer large bathrooms, comfortable living spaces and luxurious outdoor living areas complete with infinity edge plunge pools.Sheraton Maldives is just a 15-minute boat ride from Malé International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Hotel North Male Atoll
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort And Spa
- Full Moon Maldives
- Full Moon Hotel Maldives
- Full Moon Resort Maldives