“No News No Shoes ambiance” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Faafu Atoll, 20188   |
Special Price
10% disc on watervillas
Lichfield
“No News No Shoes ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

We stayed at Filitheyo 1st – 10th Oct. Our expectations were based on our previous trip to Elliadhoo in Dec 09 (see previous review).
We picked Filitheyo as it had the “no news – no shoes” ambiance with recommended house reef diving. Our overall experience was the same as Elliadhoo but the each resort having strengths in different areas.

We had one of the superior rooms on the north side of the island (despite the name they are the lowest grade of room). The rooms look like wooden chalets with a porch, but were attractively furnished, clean and had an outdoor bathroom. These will not be to everyone’s liking and you will see other reviews referring to this feature. We have had rooms with open bathrooms before so were not fazed by them, but taking a shower with raindrops falling on your head is unusual. Although my wife is a bit of a mozie magnet, she was ok with the bathroom but found low light a pain when it came to dry her hair, applying make up etc.

The beach was just a few meters from our room and was the typical beach that draws us to the Maldives… nowhere else in the world has sand like the Maldives.

Dive centre and staff was very good and freely provided information or guidance on how to get the best out of your diving. My wife and I did six dives together on the house reef during our stay and were not disappointed. The house reef diving was easy to plan and carry out at any time you wanted to go. Our diving on the house reef was restricted to the north side during our stay due to weather and sea
conditions but still offered really good experience. ( Note there is a wreck at 30m between points 5 and 6 that does not appear on site map )
The house reef accessibility and diving options are not as good as Elliadhoo.

The cost of draft beer / wine by glass were not too expensive at $6 but the $11 cocktails were a bit hit a miss for quality. Large bottle of water was $4.

We both had a massage in the Spa facility which was very good value and professionally done in really nice surroundings.

We flew Emirates from Birmingham via Dubai and MAT Seaplane Transfer without any issues both ways. Recommend taking some earplugs for the seaplane trip, it is noisy.

Overal very good resort for divers and non divers alie providing you like the quiet, relaxed ambiance of this style of resort.

My overall experience compared to Ellidahoo :-

Food range, quality, presentation:- Filitheyo.
Staff / Service :- the same.
Diving Centre and staff :- the same.
House Reef and diving experience :- Elliadhoo.
Swimming Pool :- Elliadhoo.
Room :- Marginally Elliadhoo for both design and quietness.
Cost and value for money :- excellent at both.
Beach :- Elliadhoo.

The mozzies were a bit more of an issue at Filitheyo but they did regulalrly spray the inner island vegitation and the F&B staff did thier best to ensure an anti mozzie burner was by your feet.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Just returned from this island and, like all the other reviews, we thought it was absolute paradise. Could not fault it in any way, the location was stunning, the staff amazing, could not do enough for you, the rooms immaculate, our room boy was a treasure. Food was excellent, there was so much choice for all tastes, and it was always fresh. Drinks were a tad expensive, but if you keep to 'happy hour' for your drinks it is not too bad. Would definitely recommend this resort to anyone, not a lot of entertainment, but if you want a totally relaxing holiday away from it all, this is the island for you.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Wow! This island is exactly what you'd expect from a Maldivian paradise island. True it does not offer 5* luxury but what you get is a simple, rustic, natural, relaxing escape.
We went for a week, flew direct from Gatwick with British Airways (Gatwick less of a strike risk!). Transferred by seaplane which took about 35 minutes. Tip: your bags including hand luggage get put to the back so keep hold of your camera - the views are amazing! As you arrive Filitheyo is usually on your right so pick the window on that side!
We were met with a drink and cool towel, refreshing as the air taxi does not have aircon, and taken to our room straight away.
I won't go over everything - have a good look at the photos because what you see is what you get - it's truly picturesque, but here's what helped us.
Tipping is worthwhile - you don't need to go mad. We left a couple of tips as we first arrived - just to demontrate good intentions I suppose. We tipped the welcomer because we asked for a low numbered villa when were checking in - which he managed to sort out. It may or may not have made a difference but we think it was a few dollars well spent as our villa 45 was perfectly placed. (The superiors start with 39 which is closer to the pool and these have a good beach outside. Down towards 55-70 the beach is the widest before tailing off into no beach to speak of further round. ( The "drunk" palm tree that everyone likes to photograph is about villa 80 and the last point of the fabulous beach before it thins out. The porter got a couple of dollars too - in all fairness though he had to make a couple of trips, my suitcase remained in Male for a later seaplane as weight was a worry for the pilot! It came out as promised on the next flight and was no great worry. We'd been warned that sometimes luggage isn't a priority at any resort so I'd packed a bikini in my hand luggage. Very glad I did, as I'd no unpacking to do I could go straight to the beach! My other bikinis and I were happily re-united by teatime! Everyone else is tipped at the end - a couple of the bar staff, our room boy (Hi Saju!) and our waiter (Hi Abdullah!). They were very friendly and if you think tipping is a bit much whan you've spent so much to get there remember they don't see much of that cash! Abdullah worked 6-10am, 11-3pm and 6-11pm, 7 days a week! One month off a year to go back and see his family. By day 2 I didn't have a coffee cup at breakfast (I mentioned I never drank it - he'd paid attention) John's was full as soon as we arrived.
Yes the mossies are rampant but they can be conquered! We took "Repel 100" which you spray on your pulse points, Boots own brand Repel Tropical 50%deet and some anti-mossie wrist/ankle bands I picked up from Amazon online. Not a single bite all holiday for me and my other half only got one (when he forgot to spray!)
The water is perfectly drinkable - pretty sure it's what they fill the glass bottles up with anyway. If you want to play it safe you can do what we did - I took out an empty 1L plastic bottle (keeping the weight down believe it or not!), some smaller 500ml bottles and some water purification tablets. Water into 1L bottle, add tablet, leave for an hour, decant into little ones and put into fridge. Off to beach with nice, cool, free, water next morning - job done!
Be sure to give snorkeling a go - don't try and count the fish just enjoy the sight. Best time to go is around 9am, before the wind gets up and the water is calmer. We found the easiest point to enter was number 6 as it was shorter to the edge of the reef. You can swim against the current towards the water villas or drift with it down to point 7. I'd never done it before but was so glad I did, it was like entering another world.
Go to the spa too! I had a pedicure, the hot stones massage ($80) and a Balinese massage ($90) - 2 hours a piece of absolute heaven (as if I wasn't relaxed enough already in this heavenly, tropical paradise! The 9 ladies that work there are from Indonesia, I know it must go with the job but they'd crush diamonds with their thumbs! A plus if you like a firm massage like me!!
The resort does have wi-fi. There is a PC in the library but it's not the quickest. We were able to ring home by getting a voucher and logging into Skype on an iPhone. The wi-fi rate was $5 for an hour, $15 ish per day or $100 for the week. We just got a $5 one each day and called home. Much better than Orange mobile rate of about £1.40/minute, Vodafone was the same and even O2 was £1/minute! Also preferable to the $7.50 to use the phone in your room!! If you don't leave the kids at home and don't take work with you this is all academic though!!
As soon as we got to Filitheyo we were dreaming of coming again! It's the hardest place to leave I've ever been to. A typical paradise island, quiet, peaceful, calm, warm (hot!), relaxing. A real life Bounty Advert!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We booked our holiday through Hayes and Jarvis as they had a Maldives sale on.

We flew with British Airways who had plenty of spare seats so we could lie down during the flight. When arriving at Male we went to the Hayes and Jarvis stand who handed us an envelope with contact numbers and our holiday details. We were then taken to the sea plane check in where they weighed our luggage, and then we were en route to the sea plane lounge. We waited an hour or so for our sea plane to arrive.
The seaplane was really good experience and the views were lovely; it was really noisy and bumpy as other reviewers have mentioned (but I still managed to fall asleep on it on the way back home).

We arrived at the resort but were taken through a different entrance as the sea was too choppy to get to the main entrance. We were welcomed by a watermelon cocktail, cold towel and a mini massage. We had problems checking in as Hayes and Jarvis didn’t give us a booking voucher (another couple had the same problem) but when it was sorted we were taken to our room by the luggage porter.

We booked a superior room (cheapest) which was on the beach with an outdoor bathroom. The main problem we had was with the air con which would randomly make a really loud noise and spit out ice in the middle of the night, not sure if it was too old or too cold. We never got any hot water from our shower either but didn’t need it as it was so hot. We probably could have changed rooms but they did not bother us too much! The room could have done with a lick of paint but all in all was comfortable.

The best thing about the resort was the beach and house reef! It was amazing with lots of coral and fishes.

We took the snorkel safari trip during our stay which was worth doing; they took us to 3 different snorkel sights and provided us a light packed lunch. Remember to bring your tshirt/rash vest. We brought our own snorkel equipment from home but it can be rented from the resort.

The resort had loads of vegetation and the walk from our room to the restaurant was nice, remember to bring a torch – the path wasn’t well lit at night time (we used our mobile phone or camera for light!).

We took the half board option which included breakfast with various juices and dinner (no drinks). All the guests are given a table which is assigned to you for the rest of the holiday, I guess this is so that you have the same waiter throughout the holiday. I really enjoyed the food, I always went for the congee, omelette and fruit for breakfast. Dinner was buffet style with all sorts including sushi, curry, pasta, meat, fish and fruit, cakes, ice cream, sorbet for dessert – It was really nice! At lunch we would go to the pool bar for a sandwich and a milkshake/cocktail.
We took a couple of plastic bottles from home and chilled the tap water in our fridge every day (as advised in another review on trip advisor!) At the end of the holiday we spent an extra 300 dollars on food/drink so maybe going all inclusive would have been worth the money (depending on what would have been included).

It rained for a few minutes each day, there was only one day/night where there was a mini monsoon and the power went off throughout the island and came back on after 5 minutes. The weather was still really hot, the rain was quite refreshing!

The staff were lovely and helpful! The friendly service really made our holiday and put us at ease.

Our flight home was early so we were given a selection of pastries and fruit for breakfast. Our waiter was up early with us as well.

At the end of the holiday we tipped our housekeeper/room boy and waiter 20 dollars each and the luggage porter 2-5 dollars. No one ever asked for tips or money which was refreshing as we didn’t feel hassled.

I would recommend this holiday for people that want to relax and just enjoy doing nothing! We love the Maldives and are going back this month to stay at Veligandu.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Lahnau, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

We passed 17 days on Filitheyo (over average), but got not bored. We wanted to relax and did it. Main action was reading, swimming, looking at fish (snorkeling), animals and plants. We had bungi 125 which really has not much beach, but you have no people passing by all the time. Very calm. The sourrounding is more natural (big old trees and palm trees). The bungi is the last in the row for guests and the only one with 15 meters space to the next bungi and to the sea. But walking some meters to the beach (water entrance) was very welcome. We loved "our" place very much at the end.
Of couse, you hear your neighbour, but that is well-known before booking a double bungalow. During the last week we had none.
Every question was answered immediately. The room service was great - two times a day. We had a birthday during our stay and were overwhelmed by the many wonderful surprises we got.
Only the second waiter in the restaurant was new, very impersonal and not that attentive like the first one (Ruben) which we liked very much!
But the most unforgettable experience was the excellent guidance from the head-chef (Kanishka) or the sous-chef (Lakshman) concerning the buffet. Because of severe allergies against nuts, seeds and several other things I cannot eat everything. Every evening one of the two kitchen chefs was waiting for me and gave me a tour around the whole buffet explaining all the dishes and what I could eat or not. It was perfect and I had a very assured feeling, which was the main basis for these wonderful holidays. Certainly, the food was excellent and various, always fresh and lovingly arranged. Always fresh salad and lots of fresh fruits. Never eaten that much and that good. And in spite of the long time and some repetitions the food was very various.
The drinks are not that cheap (6.75 $ a Pint beer, 6-7 $ a glass of wine, 3.50 $ diet coke, 11 $ coktails, happy hour (15-17h) half price. Eating lunch in the restaurant is not cheap either. But we did not use it. Half board was absolutely sufficient, if you bring with you some little snacks for lunch like we did. You have an adequate fridge where you can store chocolate and water.
Tours are ok with 30 $. We tried one dive with a trainer. Around 115 $ per person. (But very good rate of exchange in Euro). The dive was a great experience and we saw a lot of spectacular fish. Very friendly people.
For action there is only the bar which we used from time to time (+ billiard and table tennis). But it was absolutely enough and we met nice people from Germany, Swizerland and France.
We recommend Filitheyo without hesitation
Claudia and Matthias

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Usually I get to the end of a holiday looking forward to my own bed. Not this time - didn't want to leave.

Weather
We booked nervously after worrying about August weather - but it only rained twice (at night) while we were there and while it did get cloudy, the clouds are a welcome relief from the very hot sun. For us it was the perfect temperature. on the days when the sun was out with few clouds we found we spend more time indoors in the air-conditioned rooms or found ourselves burning.

Mosquitos
Not a big problem if you prepare. Take Jungle formula (tropical strength - we got through nearly 3 bottles in 10 days) & a plug in mosquito thing (UK plug sockets in room so no adapter required). They provide anti-mosquito coils (like incense) and anti-mosquito room spray. Also take a bite pen (ammonia) and anti-histomine if you do get bitten. Wear long, light-coloured linen trousers and long-sleeve tops to dinner will also help.

Travel Company
We went with Trailfinders whose website was extremely helpful in checking details etc. Someone met us at Male for seaplane transfer on way out, but not on way back. Wasn't a big deal though. All quite straight forward.

Seaplane
Filitheyo is about 35 mins seaplane transfer south of Male. I wouldn't advice getting a boat (if there is one) as it would probably take quite a long time and after 10 hours + airport time you won't want to be bobbing up and down too much. Besides, the plane trip was very exciting, beautiful and money well spent

Resort
We arrived in the morning and got taken straight to our room. We stayed in a Superior Villa (the cheapest). These are semi-detached. We had no problems with noise with the first couple that stayed next to us, but the next couple seemed to watch TV continuously, make Whale noises when yawning, and walk inside wearing flipflops so that did bother me a bit. Walls are pretty thin/sound travels. However, for me these villas are in the best place. We were in a middle number room which was perfect for the beach and snorkelling the house reef. Higher numbers will probably feel more secluded as further away from restaurant etc (however, it only takes 5-10 mins to walk the length of the island and it's a nice walk). The Deluxe Villas offered little more except they were detached. Compromise was a slightly longer walk to the best snorkelling. Water bungalows looked nice, but for us it was nicer to wake up and feel sand between your toes as soon as you left your villa.

Snorkelling
Whilst the warmer currents and tsuanami have damaged the reefs (maybe tourists haven't helped, but even the ones out to sea have taken a battering), there is no doubt that this was one of the best experiences of my life. We saw every kind of fish imaginable. I also did a dive, and a snorkelling safari - these were great, but you do realise how good the house reef is after these as it is just teeming with life. Turtles, sharks, Giant Moray eels, Trigger fish and just loads and loads of everything. Absolutely brilliant. You step in and you immediately see fish. Would recommend going to a diving shop before you go and getting a mask and snorkel that fit well, as well as some fins. You can rent them there though. There are reef entry points - places where you make a straight line out form the beach to avoid damage to the coral in other places, and we found it best to go from number 4/5 and let the current take us down to 7. Fins/footwear essential. As Maldives are humid, I would suggest taking 3 or so swimming costumes as you will wear these most of the day. Wear a T-shirt for snorkelling and possibly leggings/trousers to stop the backs of your legs getting burnt - even with factor 50 suncream mine were pretty red.

Diving
Didn't have a great experience with the dive school. A bit more individualised customer care needed, and perhaps more concern/advice shown after a bad dive with them, would have encouraged me to try diving with them again and rebuild my badly-damaged diving confidence. I wouldn't recommend if you are a lone diver and have less than 40 or so dives under your belt. They seem to work very long hours and seem a little understaffed for the numbers they seem to deal with everyday.

Fantastic. A great selection and have now put on far too much weight. The curries were particularly good but other more Western dishes also. No need to go all-inclusive unless you drink a lot. Half board breakfast and evening buffets were wonderful. Lunch - if you can still eat - sandwiches about $12.50, main courses actually around the same price so pretty good value.

Drinks in bar or restaurant
About 7 US dollars for a pint of lager, soft drinks about 4 dollars. Water is charged for at the table even though it is just the desalinised tap water ($3.50). The fridge in your room contains two 1/2 litre glass bottles which they charge $2.50 for but this is again the tap water. Just take a few plastic bottles with you and fill them up - water is fine to drink and tastes fine too.

Wages and tips
No-one bothers you for tips - very pleasing after visiting North Africa, and they advise you not to tip until the end of your stay. However, the wages are extremely low - often less than $100 a month - yes....a month. One bottle of water for us is often equivalent to their days wages. Many of the workers don't see their wives of children for months or years at a time. Therefore, I would advise being generous at the end of your stay. I don't know all the finances of the place but it does seem like the AAA company, and perhaps other similar companies take advantage of their employees and could be paying them more and offering better living/holiday conditions. Perhaps they could also treat the Bangladeshi employees the same as the others too i.e. same pay and conditions. Some people we met had booked at the other resort but got transferred to Filitheyo - the opposite experience to others of Tripadvisor. Seems they still need to work on their overbookings. Worth confirming your room before you travel.

Staff
All very friendly and very helpful (except the severs in the buffet who didn't like to smile). One got the sense that they liked to do their jobs well.

Other prices
Excursions were generally $30 pp. Dive trips $58 plus $24 equipment. Spa massage either $60 or $80pp. Snorkelling with thousands of fish in turquoise waters - free, but priceless. (You can rent mask, snorkel and fins per day from dive shops).

Overall
I would recommend this island to anyone as the house reef is fantastic (we spoke to many others who had visited other islands and said the same), the staff and very friendly, the roomboy twice daily servicing of your room is outstanding, the food is fantastic, and it is just beautiful generally. Room for improvement would be a lick of paint in the rooms, a smile from the food servers, stop charging so much for water at the table, and soundproofing between walls of the superior villas.

Regardless of a few small issues, we had the best time and I wish I was there right now. This for us was the holiday of a lifetime and took us a long time to save up for, and it didn't disappoint.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

What an absolutely fabulous holiday! I can't believe that people have actually moaned about things in other reviews. We could not fault anything. It was our first time in the Maldives so obviously have nothing to compare it to but we found the staff, food, rooms and the island overall all excellent. We would love to go back again so we'd better get saving! We went all inclusive and to be honest have no idea whether we saved money or not. It was just lovely not having to think about anything for 2 weeks.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Filitheyo Island Resort? Share your experiences!