“World traveller shocked by package holiday!” 5 of 5 stars

Club Med La Plantation d'Albion
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenue du Club Med, Albion, Mauritius   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Albion
Cape Town
“World traveller shocked by package holiday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Having always been an independent traveller and revisited old haunts year in year out when my wife suggested a last minute holiday at a Club Med in Mauritius my blood ran cold…….
We have a young child who at the time of our first visit was 4 turning 5 ……..I’ll start with that! If you have child fatigue and want to enjoy a space where you and your partner can enjoy each other whilst your kids are safely and brilliantly entertained from 8 in the morning to 9 at night then you are already on first base! Kids club rules , the activities are superbly organized but not in an anal and compulsory way that requires a regimented program – your child is allowed to sign in and out at will and can even influence what activities the kids do ! The spa rocks, for two year now my tennis has improved under Fadi the coach who is a laugh a minute ! The selection of food and beverages are fantastic (not Michelin start but good enough for most mortals), the service from all the staff superb – nothing is too much trouble. With mist sports activity also included this makes for a festival of fun for all the family in five star surroundings. Aziz the resort GM is also a star and he will be missed when he leaves for Mexico this year, my wife and I are seriously considering going there next year as the tennis coach is going too……..before you raise an eyebrow he’s what you imagine to a tennis coach to be but I think its all ok! The standard rooms are great and perfectly adequate for parents and a child, and the kids club gives you “private time” if you know what I mean! Every night there is a show and a party and you can do as much or as little as you like! One criticism would be the rooms have a damp smell, we went in October just at the end of winter and it’s a tropical island, this may improve but its no biggy. As good a family holiday as you will ever have without breaking the bank!

Room Tip: The rooms over looking the Zen lawn are the furthest from the noise, get one at ground level i fyou...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

742 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I am just soooo disappointed with Club Med’s after sales service. My 4 girls like Club Med. At each of the 3 summer resorts they’ve been to, they leave saying it’s the best place ever. But I suspect it may be more to do with falling into summer love with French boys and I may test a much cheaper version next year of a bog standard trip to Calais. Ha!

Our Club Med family trips usually cost around £25-£35,000 so not cheap, but the quality of admin service before parting with my money is so distinctly different from the attitude after. I am now feeling so totally disregarded by four different departments bouncing me around and ignoring my emails to settle two simple insurance claims nearly 3 months after the event. They call me a ‘gold member’ but I’m not aware of any value in this except that it’s cheaper for me to be an advertising hoarding for them, as I get a discount in the shop; only on Club Med branded merchandise it seems though. Tours get a ‘gold’ discount too but none of the ones I spent over £2000 on! Nor any of the objects or pieces I purchased from the boutique, despite being told they did by reception, as they didn’t have Club Med emblazoned all over them.

Being a gold member doesn’t appear to afford me the courtesy of having my calls returned or emails answered either.

Club Med Albion is a beautifully located resort and we took two interconnecting beachfront suites that gave us plenty of space. Rooms were good but the beach was public and we were warned twice about security, which abruptly arrested our drift down into chillaxation.

On the second day my daughter’s new iPod was stolen from the room, which added to our sense of unease. No verandah doors had been left unlocked so we can only assume it was by key access through the front door. The police attended with the manager and we went through the deadly tedious routine of filling reports. The manager told us Club Med has insurance and all would be sorted. He also arranged for one of his staff to collect documents from the police station so we didn’t have to. The next day my other daughter’s friend had her handbag with keys, wallet, phone and Nintendo stolen from the bar area.

All of us suffered a lot of bites and I’m not sure whether these were bugs or mosquito, despite the electric mosquito machines being used. We went off season in August and I hoped that the fly problem I’d read about in reviews would not be an issue then, but unfortunately if you wish to eat outside you have to be adept at eating with just a fork allowing the other hand to wave constantly over the food. Even this didn’t deter the more belligerent flies so we gave up after the first few days and ate under cover, but I did have a very toned left shoulder by then.

I liked the off-season of August. Most days had a just few hours cloud and we a had a few short spurts of rain 2 or 3 times each week, but the temperature was a comfortable 23 – 28 degrees.

Now I’m not a clumsy person but two days before the end of our holiday I stumbled on the stairs up from the beach and fell through them. The pain was excruciating and I thought I’d broken one leg that was gashed and bleeding. The other had skin scrapped off the ankle and shins. The pain subsided and I returned to look at the staircase. The final riser was 15 mm higher than all the others and the gap in the preceding tread was 100mm wider than all the others. It could not have been better designed to cripple someone. I reported this to the manager and explained the importance of staircase design. It only takes a 3mm variance in risers to trip someone up. This staircase wasn’t even close. (Yes, I have designed a few staircases in my time). To his credit the maintenance crew were there next morning rebuilding the staircase. Unfortunately by then my leg was so swollen and painful to walk on that the Club doctor recommended an x-ray and check for fracture at the local hospital. I had to pay for the car to take me, and all the hospital costs even though Club Med assured me their insurance would refund me. Fortunately there was no break in the bone, just a lot of soft tissue swelling and cuts to clean out and bandage up. Not quite how I wanted to spend the last few days of my holiday.

Now the good stuff…
All the resort staff we came in contact with felt genuinely warm and helpful, and that’s a big part of any Club Med holiday. Really good spa treatments and helpful instruction at the archery centre. We had fun on the trapeze and the Divemaster was very encouraging in getting all of my kids to experience sub-aqua. Food was generally okay and as expected, but again, fly issues meant we avoided great swathes of the offering. Loved the quad bike safari; swimming with dolphins awesome and we got to see a very large whale as an added bonus. The whole day speedboat trip to the Lagoon was also enjoyable.

I’m still waiting for Club Med to settle these insurance claims and while no one is returning my emails each of these petty annoyances further diminish my depleted good feelings towards Club Med.

Room Tip: The beach front rooms also interconnect with suites. They have a decent amount of space and a great...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cape town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was my 4th trip to Mauritius but my husbands first. We were so happy at the resort, we didn't feel the need to go and explore the island.
We did however find most guests at this resort never really left the resort much other that to take an expensive taxi trip or do an excursion.
On our last day, it rained and was a bit overcast, we decided to take the local bus in to Port Louis. The bus stop was a 2 minute walk from the resort and took us right in to Port Louis. 28 ruppees each way p.p instead of about 1800 rupees return. I always feel that when staying in a country, one should try an experience a bit of how the locals live. My husband wanted to eat at a local restaurant, but having all inclusive with such delicious food at Club med, I didn't see the point.
I consider myself a bit of a foodie and knowing that it was buffet style, I was a bit wary, but OMG! Lobsters, oysters, mussels, foi gras, salmon tatar, sushi, sashimi. I even ate sushimi blue marlin that that they had caught the day before. The poor animal was on display weighing 350 kilos and was only as we were leaving I realised that I had just eaten the meat of this magnificant animal. I ate mostly fish and loved the Asian food. I found the meat dishes a bit heavy for such hot weather but all was absolutely delicious!
IF there is anything you need or have forgotten, there is a lovely supermarket just accross the bridge. There is also a little tourist shop which stocks tshirts, serongs, fake sunnies, magnets etc, so actually no need to venture in to Port louis if you are only shopping for souveniers. The owner speaks English well and is very friendly, no haggling and no harrassment. Even the beach hawkers were very sweet and walked away as soon as you told them you were not interested.
We didn't take part in many of the activities and found the music from the pool each day at the same time a little annoying, but realised on the last day that this is wher they teach you the crazy signs and all the dances they do in the night club.
We took the boat to Le Cannonier the one day and realised as parents that this resort if far better if you have children, as the kids club is bigger and the beach is bigger and far more water sports, but I think for us, leaving the kids behind, having a second honeymoon and both being food lovers. De Albion was overall the better choice.
We didn't get to know the G.O's so well but the names to mention are Sasha (durban girl behind the bar) Peter, the Chinese PR, Rashid, Jessie, Chanel, Vichy (the restaurant manager) Alex and Melanie at beach club as the only activities we did were snorkling, kayaks, and a bit of pool volley ball.
I bet I have run out of characters, but I could carry on for another 200 words!

Room Tip: I think if travelling with no kids the Zen area is good as no kids are allowed near these rooms adn...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

The five trident service is a huge improvement; now you can actually read in the room! Our club room (113) Right on the beach was terrific. I highly recommend it. We were very impressed by the local staff who kept the entire place ( including public bathrooms) spotless and free of bugs. They are so very anxious to please you and are very proud of their work and their Island Our housekeeper Angelina not only kept our rooms spotless, provided plentiful new towels throughout the day, but also left us a decoration made from rowels each day. (See photo). The GO's were also vemic ice and peronable.
I basically sleep, eat, read and play tennis, so i cannot comment on the other actovities, nut i heard a lot if people having a good time The tennis pro Mehdi was great and arranged a partner for me when no one was around- this was very important to me and mostly was not done in my 30 year history with the Club. My wife loved the Tai Chi instruction. The food-- the pastry chef was a dangerous fellow--there were always many delicious choices, so you eat way too many desserts. The other food-- the breakfast was pretty good and the breads very tasty. The other meals very spotty. They had the restaurant divided in 5 islands: Italian, Indian/maurutius, appetizers, other stuff and last Chinese/Japanese. The Italian was mostly bad ( lasagna without ricotta cheese?). The fish was most often local and not very good, although the Alaska king crab and smoked marlin were good. The beef just tasted bad. And sometimes the beef/fish area smelled like unwashed bodies. Mind you I a m not one to dive into native foods, so I somewhat biased. The cheeses were lited and always the same; the Thom was good, the soft cheeses often not ripe. Some of the special appetizers were pretty good. The only cream soup was a vegetable soup-pretty good- which was served every day. Then a different soup many times in addition, but never any of the great French cream soups. Also there were a lot of strange concoctions which I could not recognize. The fries were good and the hamburger was ok, but it was a shame that some lunch times that was the best I could find. However that all being said, even with playing at least 4 hours of tennis daily, I still manged to gain weight; so the food was not a hardship. Just not great. the special restaurant was ok, but the menu was s limited, we only went once for lunch.
My one serious complaint that there was no mingling at lunch or dinner. Even though I asked to seated on a larger table to meet others, we were always seated at a table for two. We met one lady at her last day who had lost her husband and had hoped to meet some people, but wound up eating all her meals alone at a small table. It would have been easy (as we requested), to ask people when searing then if they want a private table or be seated with others. We asked twice, but we were still seated at our table for two. This really was not a"Club" experience and lessened our enjoyment. Still a very beautiful and great club.

• Stayed October 2012
Kiev, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Kind of luxury Club Med option, very nice and relaxing, less crowded and more luxury then usual club med. I liked everything about the hotel, the design of the bungalows is great, the main restaurant is huge but the food is refined and delicious, the service is very high level and friendly. The SPA is just fantastic, massages are wonderful. The only drowback for me was the beach, it's very small and not beautiful comparing to other beaches of Mauritius.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
south africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We went to this hotel last year and wanted to try something new, and we shopped around and we could not find a place that was 5 star and had such excellent value. We are now a family of 4 and we went with interconnecting club rooms.

ROOMS
The rooms are amazing. We stayed in a deluxe last time and this time two club rooms. Even the club room is spacious, modern and fabulous! Only weird thing is the floors are filthy! Even once they mopped them if you took a few steps without slippers your soles were black! Rest was very clean.

FOOD
We opted to spend most meals at Le Phare, just because it suited us and we did not feel like we were at a huge resort. the main restaurant is OK, it is just so huge, and i dislike missioning around for food. We had a few meals here- the lunchtime burgers are amazing! also there is a night where there are lobsters- they were amazing.

ACTIVITIES
It has it ALL! I loved the Tai Chi instructor, he was so great. The trapeze this year was much more professional than last year and we had a blast there. archery is also better than last year. I would HIGHLY recommend the snorkellng, and try go in the morning as the afternoon can be choppy.

SERVICE
We received the most amazing service from almost everyone, everyone other than the reception staff ! The cleaning staff were so sweet and great, the waiters amazing. A special thanks to Alex at Le Phare, who is a fantastic manager. Vanessa and Michel were the best waiters and Viydia would do small things that made a big difference, like sending food to our room if the kids were cranky or specially giving me breakfast when I was sitting with my sleeping baby. Some of the top level managers were a bit snooty. Aziz (the “chief”) was great and accommodating. I have never experienced such attentive service from so many people…

Now the reception staff- they had NO clue about what was happening at the club and when we asked for things they were the only ones who would not get back to us. The welcome was all very sweet and energetic but again, we were given the wrong info (like kids club closed on Saturdays when it was not!).

KIDS CLUB
I think we were the only ones that had an issue as most reviews rave about the kids club so it was probably circumstantial. Christine was great and spoke English very well. But unfortunately Christine was off for a few days because of a hurt toe and so we were really shocked that there was no one there that could speak English well. My little girl was probably the only English speak kid there and she DID NOT like being there on the day Christine was not there and in fact would not go back there after the few hours without Christine. I will not mention names, but I feel something happened and then she would not go back and I would never force her. Then the person that I was not comfortable with confronted me after dinner one night and this really was unprofessional. So basically I spent a fortune and used it for a few hours.

BEACH
I must mention that the beach and Sea are not typical Mauritian style long white beaches with clear blue water. But I don’t spend much time on the beach with two kids and would potter around on beaches by the suites, which are well shaded and have little rock pools for exploring

WHICH ROOM TO CHOOSE
We stayed at the Zen area last time, and that is a great area as you are right next to zen pool and le Phare restaurant. This time we were in rooms 315 and 316 and it was also a great location! Right next to tennis and tai chi, a 100m from suite beach and nice walk to either restaurants. ONLY thing is I would not stay near the stairs as there is a lot of noise, stay on the ends.

ALL IN ALL
I would go back, maybe in a few years… I think that says it all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

From the moment, my son and I stepped off the bus, we were made to feel like celebrities and long time friends! And yes, by the time we left, we felt like long time friends. From the food to the numerous acitivites, amenities, sports, evening shows and even the way they somehow kept our room tidy as we continously deposited all our snokellling gear and sand! We played all day and danced all night and yet we didn't manage to do all the activies availbale. Aziz, Chief of Operations, is a true magician, inspiring his team to make our holiday a dream come true. Thank you G.O's!. A special thank you to Pak for this grace, Mat-Mat for your enthusiasm up the trapeze!, Cassie for making us feel at home, Cathy-Seth-Grace for your gentleness, Jonathan for being a great sportsman, Jasper who always had a twinkle in his eye whatever time of the day it was at the bar! Larissa for getting Sebastian to dance, wow that is an impossible task! Last but not least, Rashid for making us smile everyday, I hope your English doesn't improve too much! To embrace Club Med's magic, you need to leave your troubles in your suitcase, put on lots of sun cream and be prepared to dance in the middle of the day, eat and drink like kings, be a child again and take part in all the sport tournaments, be swept off your feet and when it's time to leave, you will find yourself planning your next holiday! THANK YOU CLUB MED! Chloe et Sebastian 22 September 2012.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Club Med La Plantation d'Albion? Share your experiences!