“Paradise revisited” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med La Plantation d'Albion

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Albion
Club Med La Plantation d'Albion
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenue du Club Med, Albion, Mauritius   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Albion
Cape town
“Paradise revisited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was my 4th trip to Mauritius but my husbands first. We were so happy at the resort, we didn't feel the need to go and explore the island.
We did however find most guests at this resort never really left the resort much other that to take an expensive taxi trip or do an excursion.
On our last day, it rained and was a bit overcast, we decided to take the local bus in to Port Louis. The bus stop was a 2 minute walk from the resort and took us right in to Port Louis. 28 ruppees each way p.p instead of about 1800 rupees return. I always feel that when staying in a country, one should try an experience a bit of how the locals live. My husband wanted to eat at a local restaurant, but having all inclusive with such delicious food at Club med, I didn't see the point.
I consider myself a bit of a foodie and knowing that it was buffet style, I was a bit wary, but OMG! Lobsters, oysters, mussels, foi gras, salmon tatar, sushi, sashimi. I even ate sushimi blue marlin that that they had caught the day before. The poor animal was on display weighing 350 kilos and was only as we were leaving I realised that I had just eaten the meat of this magnificant animal. I ate mostly fish and loved the Asian food. I found the meat dishes a bit heavy for such hot weather but all was absolutely delicious!
IF there is anything you need or have forgotten, there is a lovely supermarket just accross the bridge. There is also a little tourist shop which stocks tshirts, serongs, fake sunnies, magnets etc, so actually no need to venture in to Port louis if you are only shopping for souveniers. The owner speaks English well and is very friendly, no haggling and no harrassment. Even the beach hawkers were very sweet and walked away as soon as you told them you were not interested.
We didn't take part in many of the activities and found the music from the pool each day at the same time a little annoying, but realised on the last day that this is wher they teach you the crazy signs and all the dances they do in the night club.
We took the boat to Le Cannonier the one day and realised as parents that this resort if far better if you have children, as the kids club is bigger and the beach is bigger and far more water sports, but I think for us, leaving the kids behind, having a second honeymoon and both being food lovers. De Albion was overall the better choice.
We didn't get to know the G.O's so well but the names to mention are Sasha (durban girl behind the bar) Peter, the Chinese PR, Rashid, Jessie, Chanel, Vichy (the restaurant manager) Alex and Melanie at beach club as the only activities we did were snorkling, kayaks, and a bit of pool volley ball.
I bet I have run out of characters, but I could carry on for another 200 words!

Room Tip: I think if travelling with no kids the Zen area is good as no kids are allowed near these rooms adn...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

667 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

The five trident service is a huge improvement; now you can actually read in the room! Our club room (113) Right on the beach was terrific. I highly recommend it. We were very impressed by the local staff who kept the entire place ( including public bathrooms) spotless and free of bugs. They are so very anxious to please you and are very proud of their work and their Island Our housekeeper Angelina not only kept our rooms spotless, provided plentiful new towels throughout the day, but also left us a decoration made from rowels each day. (See photo). The GO's were also vemic ice and peronable.
I basically sleep, eat, read and play tennis, so i cannot comment on the other actovities, nut i heard a lot if people having a good time The tennis pro Mehdi was great and arranged a partner for me when no one was around- this was very important to me and mostly was not done in my 30 year history with the Club. My wife loved the Tai Chi instruction. The food-- the pastry chef was a dangerous fellow--there were always many delicious choices, so you eat way too many desserts. The other food-- the breakfast was pretty good and the breads very tasty. The other meals very spotty. They had the restaurant divided in 5 islands: Italian, Indian/maurutius, appetizers, other stuff and last Chinese/Japanese. The Italian was mostly bad ( lasagna without ricotta cheese?). The fish was most often local and not very good, although the Alaska king crab and smoked marlin were good. The beef just tasted bad. And sometimes the beef/fish area smelled like unwashed bodies. Mind you I a m not one to dive into native foods, so I somewhat biased. The cheeses were lited and always the same; the Thom was good, the soft cheeses often not ripe. Some of the special appetizers were pretty good. The only cream soup was a vegetable soup-pretty good- which was served every day. Then a different soup many times in addition, but never any of the great French cream soups. Also there were a lot of strange concoctions which I could not recognize. The fries were good and the hamburger was ok, but it was a shame that some lunch times that was the best I could find. However that all being said, even with playing at least 4 hours of tennis daily, I still manged to gain weight; so the food was not a hardship. Just not great. the special restaurant was ok, but the menu was s limited, we only went once for lunch.
My one serious complaint that there was no mingling at lunch or dinner. Even though I asked to seated on a larger table to meet others, we were always seated at a table for two. We met one lady at her last day who had lost her husband and had hoped to meet some people, but wound up eating all her meals alone at a small table. It would have been easy (as we requested), to ask people when searing then if they want a private table or be seated with others. We asked twice, but we were still seated at our table for two. This really was not a"Club" experience and lessened our enjoyment. Still a very beautiful and great club.

• Stayed October 2012
Kiev, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Kind of luxury Club Med option, very nice and relaxing, less crowded and more luxury then usual club med. I liked everything about the hotel, the design of the bungalows is great, the main restaurant is huge but the food is refined and delicious, the service is very high level and friendly. The SPA is just fantastic, massages are wonderful. The only drowback for me was the beach, it's very small and not beautiful comparing to other beaches of Mauritius.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
south africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We went to this hotel last year and wanted to try something new, and we shopped around and we could not find a place that was 5 star and had such excellent value. We are now a family of 4 and we went with interconnecting club rooms.

ROOMS
The rooms are amazing. We stayed in a deluxe last time and this time two club rooms. Even the club room is spacious, modern and fabulous! Only weird thing is the floors are filthy! Even once they mopped them if you took a few steps without slippers your soles were black! Rest was very clean.

FOOD
We opted to spend most meals at Le Phare, just because it suited us and we did not feel like we were at a huge resort. the main restaurant is OK, it is just so huge, and i dislike missioning around for food. We had a few meals here- the lunchtime burgers are amazing! also there is a night where there are lobsters- they were amazing.

ACTIVITIES
It has it ALL! I loved the Tai Chi instructor, he was so great. The trapeze this year was much more professional than last year and we had a blast there. archery is also better than last year. I would HIGHLY recommend the snorkellng, and try go in the morning as the afternoon can be choppy.

SERVICE
We received the most amazing service from almost everyone, everyone other than the reception staff ! The cleaning staff were so sweet and great, the waiters amazing. A special thanks to Alex at Le Phare, who is a fantastic manager. Vanessa and Michel were the best waiters and Viydia would do small things that made a big difference, like sending food to our room if the kids were cranky or specially giving me breakfast when I was sitting with my sleeping baby. Some of the top level managers were a bit snooty. Aziz (the “chief”) was great and accommodating. I have never experienced such attentive service from so many people…

Now the reception staff- they had NO clue about what was happening at the club and when we asked for things they were the only ones who would not get back to us. The welcome was all very sweet and energetic but again, we were given the wrong info (like kids club closed on Saturdays when it was not!).

KIDS CLUB
I think we were the only ones that had an issue as most reviews rave about the kids club so it was probably circumstantial. Christine was great and spoke English very well. But unfortunately Christine was off for a few days because of a hurt toe and so we were really shocked that there was no one there that could speak English well. My little girl was probably the only English speak kid there and she DID NOT like being there on the day Christine was not there and in fact would not go back there after the few hours without Christine. I will not mention names, but I feel something happened and then she would not go back and I would never force her. Then the person that I was not comfortable with confronted me after dinner one night and this really was unprofessional. So basically I spent a fortune and used it for a few hours.

BEACH
I must mention that the beach and Sea are not typical Mauritian style long white beaches with clear blue water. But I don’t spend much time on the beach with two kids and would potter around on beaches by the suites, which are well shaded and have little rock pools for exploring

WHICH ROOM TO CHOOSE
We stayed at the Zen area last time, and that is a great area as you are right next to zen pool and le Phare restaurant. This time we were in rooms 315 and 316 and it was also a great location! Right next to tennis and tai chi, a 100m from suite beach and nice walk to either restaurants. ONLY thing is I would not stay near the stairs as there is a lot of noise, stay on the ends.

ALL IN ALL
I would go back, maybe in a few years… I think that says it all.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

From the moment, my son and I stepped off the bus, we were made to feel like celebrities and long time friends! And yes, by the time we left, we felt like long time friends. From the food to the numerous acitivites, amenities, sports, evening shows and even the way they somehow kept our room tidy as we continously deposited all our snokellling gear and sand! We played all day and danced all night and yet we didn't manage to do all the activies availbale. Aziz, Chief of Operations, is a true magician, inspiring his team to make our holiday a dream come true. Thank you G.O's!. A special thank you to Pak for this grace, Mat-Mat for your enthusiasm up the trapeze!, Cassie for making us feel at home, Cathy-Seth-Grace for your gentleness, Jonathan for being a great sportsman, Jasper who always had a twinkle in his eye whatever time of the day it was at the bar! Larissa for getting Sebastian to dance, wow that is an impossible task! Last but not least, Rashid for making us smile everyday, I hope your English doesn't improve too much! To embrace Club Med's magic, you need to leave your troubles in your suitcase, put on lots of sun cream and be prepared to dance in the middle of the day, eat and drink like kings, be a child again and take part in all the sport tournaments, be swept off your feet and when it's time to leave, you will find yourself planning your next holiday! THANK YOU CLUB MED! Chloe et Sebastian 22 September 2012.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

When travelling with a family (2 adults and children, 14 and 9) its always hard to please everyone, especially when we all like different things. Well, we finally found an incredible piece of paradise that could do just that. Club Med La Plantation d"Albion, in delicious Mauritius. Excellent service and food, amazing location, modern and lux with activities to please all categories. The quality of the service from the hotels personnel and GO's was holiday defining. The kids were greeted and cared for by an energetic, caring and friendly team of GO's that always had them entertained. We were constantly in awe at their ability to get our kids to step out of their comfort zones and take part in the evening shows. Throw in an incredible trapeze and sailing team to cap off the things to do. We loved the zen pool and chance to indulge at the spa, knowing that the kids were having an amazing time. Parents dream of lazy long lunches and romantic dinners, at La Plantation, it was a reality. The resort is laid out beautifully with loads of room, at full capacity you would never know. We all came away feeling exhilerated and rested. Our holidays tend to be governed by: Will we go back? absolutely and that is saying something because we are big on trying something new each time. Treat yourself for an amazing experience, GO!! I recommend booking with Erin at Club Med Perth, she was awesome.

Room Tip: Rooms on the beachfront are to die for!
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

it's hard to sum up in 200 hundred words how amazing this was. i went with my family, and as a teenager i have alot of expectations from resorts. let me just say this was the best holiday ever. i want to first off give a shout out to the awesome kids(teens) club leaders. jeff and jason, they always made everyone laugh and made sure we always had fun. the best part of the holiday was definately with out doubt the flying trapeze and circus team consisting off mattmatt, mimi, cassie and Guillaume who made it so much fun while still being professional. they taught me so much and even let me do an indoor trapeze act in one off the shows. i loved it and them so much. really made my holiday. sasha behind the bar always loved talking to us and was so nice and ehusiastic. i loved how all the GO got everyone involved, in dancing, activities ect. i was even in three show which were so much fun. on e of my most memorable things is everytime the 'gangnam' song came on Guillaume and i would do the dance which we knew very well by the end. mimi was so funny and supportive and AAAH-MAZING! mattmatt, was so funny with his french accent and so good at what he does. this holiday was so amazing i cried on our departure when all the GO's came and hugged us goodbye. all in all i would give it 100/10 if i could. great place for kids, families, couples, even going by yourself. it has a great range of food and activities to keep everyone entertained. but i think the best thing was the staff that made it all happen. THANK YOU!!! <3

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Club Med La Plantation d'Albion? Share your experiences!