“Filthy Rooms and very rude owner” 1 of 5 stars

Antonis G Hotel Apartment
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Anexartisias 17, Oroklini, Larnaka 6307, Cyprus   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Oroklini
London
“Filthy Rooms and very rude owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

I went to this hotel with my husband and children and I can honestly say this has been the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The day we arrived the owner - Antonis seemed very pleased to see us, he said the summer had been quiet and that he had not had many customers ( now I know why!). When he gave me the room key, he asked for payment up front, I explained that we had booked through Superbreaks and had already paid the travel agent Thomson. He that point became very defensive and said he had never heard of Superbreaks or Thomson and that he wanted the money right now or we could not stay. As I had two young children and it was approaching evening, I really did not need the extra hassle of finding another hotel in the area and for all I know they could have all been full, so I paid him and said I would sort out the refund when I went back to London. Antonis then added another 5 Euros for air conditioning, he asked us if we wanted breakfast, I asked whether he had cereals/toast, he said yes and added another 22 Euros for breakfast. When we entered the room he gave us, my heart dropped, it was dusty, the mirrors had not been cleaned. The towels in the bathroom looked as though they were 50 years old and the A/C unit was only in the main bedroom and the other room with the 2 sofa beds had no A/C. All 4 of us slept in the same bed because we needed the A/C as it was so hot. In the middle of the night the A/c Unit was spitting out dust and the noise started giving us a headache as it was so loud! Breakfast did not include toast, we asked where the cereals were, the owner then disappeared for half an hour and then bought us a Special K cereal box which he said he had taken from his son's apartment . The cutlery was not washed properly either. We then heard Antonis shouting at other customers, his customer service skills are absolutely zero. Before we left we asked for a receipt so I could claim my money back when I arrived home, he responded very rudely "I will". He eventually gave me the receipt, upon checking I realised he had not dated it , so I asked him. He then shouted, you can do it! And walked into his office and slammed the door hard. When he opened the door, we asked him again politely , he did not respond and totally ignored us for the remainder of the time we stayed there. We only stayed there the one night and that was enough! We would never stay there again even if someone paid us!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

Greetings from the Swedish ladies Our stay at Antonis G hotel apartments in larnaca was a great experience, This hotel is ideal for people who appreciate a rather quiet and cosy hotel with a warm loving staff and great evening activities. Thank you for making our stay in Larnaca a great experience! And thank you Antonis for the lovely juicy figs that were offered :)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
SYDNEY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

Firstly this hotel is not in Larnaca, it's located in a village called Oroklini and if u do not wish to drive in Cyprus it costs 12 euros each time u want to go to the main beach in Larnaca called Finikoudes.

A good place for drunken english poms but not for others who want to experience the true Greek Cypriot Culture ( Andonis isn't that Greek anyway)....

I also saw cockroaches in the apartment twice and it was never cleaned.. Discusting! Do not stay in this place and there's no breakfast...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Oroklini hotels

italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

I've spent 2 weeks at this hotel in August andm y experience has been really great.

The price was really low, i couldnt find anything below that price, and the atmosphere was great. The hotel owner was very friendly, and his sons too.. We even used to have a swim together in the pool (which was always very clean) quite often!

The rooms were big, with TV, AC, fridge, kitchen, comfortable beds and so on... In my country i never had such big and furnished rooms, especially for such price.

The girls in the hotel cleaned the rooms on a regular basis, and the entire hotel was clean.

Surely i would love to come back there, because Cyprus is wonderful and i had a great time in this hotel!

• Liked — Clean hotel, friendly staff and owner, great atmosphere, calm, quiet, bar with evens like karoke, quiz shows
  • Disliked — cant find anything bad in it!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Morristown, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

This peaceful hotel is located in the beautiful town of Oroklini, only 2 minutes from some of the most beautiful beaches in Cyprus. This hotel is a real family run business. Antonis and his sons are always more than happy to go out of their way to accommodate their guests. Antonis was gracious enough to find me a car rental, and before that drove me wherever I needed to go.

I HIGHLY recommend this Hotel if you are looking for a peaceful getaway, yet you are close enough to the bustling Larnaca and not far from Agia Napa, and VERY CLOSE to the beach!

Great Staff, wonderful stay, at an EXCELENT Price!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
British Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2008

We have friends that live in Oroklini and wanting to be near them stayed at Antonis G. We consider ourselves flexible and don't expect Canadian standards when travelling to other places. There is a basic level that is hard to overlook and we found that Antonis G. crossed the line. We stayed there for 3 weeks and 3 days and were travelling with my Mom and Dad. Since the hotel doesn't have any 2 bedroom 2 bathroom rooms we decided to get a room for each couple. One of the issues we couldn't ignore was NO HOT WATER until at least 11:00 a.m. It's heated by solar panels which is a great system since Oroklini has so much sun but the panel(s) must be old or dirty because when the sun went down the water got instantly cold. Perhaps the hotel conserves on water by regulating the temperature. We had lots of sponge baths and heated water for them. Each room is assigned ONE, and only one key as the owner screamed when we requested a 2nd one. The key inserted in a slot just inside the door activates electricity to the room. This we learned later is not unusual for the Mediterranean. It prevents electricity being used while no one is in the room. BUT having only 1 key also prevented one person from staying in the room while the other went out because the person left either didn't have power or the person outside the room had to wake the other person up in order to get into the room. Having said all this, we made up our minds after the first day or 2 not to let this hotel ruin a vacation that we had been looking forward to for many years. We therefore bought our own bathroom tissue, frying pan, borrowed a fan from our friends and passed on paying for AC for an additional cost of $5./day. In fairness though the hotel website does indicate that AC is extra. Our friends gave us towels and did laundry for us. We "borrowed" a car from the owner. We went everywhere from Pafos to Ayia Napa and even to Keryneia and Famagusta in the northern Turkish part of Cyprus. The car was modern with AC and comfortably accommodated the 4 of us. The price we felt was very fair.
Back to the hotel. Our room was in need of serious repair in that one of the walls in the kitchen was truly crumbling. The furniture and beds were very old and really dirty. In terms of service we were lucky to get our garbage removed once a day which when the Cypriot sewer system can't handle toilet tissue can be problematic. We asked after one week about changing towel and bed linens. We were told this would happen weekly which it did until the last week as we actually stayed 3 weeks and 3 days. We too experienced the owner yelling, at the top of his lungs, at a hotel guest. I don't care what the guest had done or how right Antonis was I was actually scared by such a peasantish way to behave. I later told one of the sons of my feelings. If the hotel was left to them (the sons) to run it could be a pleasant and comfortable environment for a holiday They were helpful, friendly, and very hard working AND I might add, educated in the US.
You do need a car to go outside of Oroklini but we found the village charming. We got to know the local merchants and varied our happy hours among that taverna's with happy hour specials. Lithos Sports Bar in the Antonis G. Hotel was one that offers Happy Hour and good value. We didn't use the pool nor did anyone other than a few young children as temperature test were outside the pleasant zone.
We found the food very acceptable but the promise of a complimentary buffet never materialized.
All in all it can an inexpensive place to stay but if you set high expectations you will be disappointed. Toni, leave the hotel business you your very capable sons.

Stayed September 2008
wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

I wanted to experience the real Cyprus but was faced with eastern European staff which took away the feeling of being in a Cypriot village. The owner seemed pleasant enough but the bar staff were not attentive and the barman and one Eastern European barmaid were rude and pushy. Money seemed to be the name of the game and that was all they were interested in.

I would go back to Cyprus but not this hotel. Possibly the mountain villages are more traditional - who knows.

the owner should get rid of the bar staff and put in some people who know what they are doing, and not some big headed show-off and a know-all bar maid to boot.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — The people working in the bar
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Antonis G Hotel Apartment? Share your experiences!