“holidays at the palmbeachhotel larnaca” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Beach Hotel & Bungalows

You added Palm Beach Hotel & Bungalows to your Saves list
Palm Beach Hotel & Bungalows
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Larnaka Dekelia Road | P.O. Box 40394, Oroklini, Larnaka City CY 6303, Cyprus   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Oroklini
Vienna, Austria
“holidays at the palmbeachhotel larnaca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

the palmbeachhotel is one of the best hotels in the larnaca area .
i know cyprus from my workingdays (17years) at the mines of cyprus - a long time ago . now during retirement it is the only place we are going every year for our vacation . we prefer the month of october , when times at home - austria - are getting "miserable" .
management is competent and employees have a verý high standard , are very friendly and extremely helpful food is really the best you can get in a hotel .
room with seaview are recommendet but not neccessary to have , all rooms are large enough and comfortable .

Room Tip: seaview is ok but not neccessary
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank oskar k

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I stayed at the Palm Beach Hotel at the recommendation of my travel agent. I pre-paid and was told that I would have a sea view. I arrived late at night and walked into the lobby of the hotel. All of the lights were turned off in the public areas with the exception of the reception area. No one greeted me or even said hello. An old man at the front desk finally gave me a form to fill out and I waited about half an hour to get my key. He escorted me out of the building, down a pathway, which finally led to a ground floor room with a view of an enclosed swimming pool. I explained that this was not what I had reserved and he replied that they were fully booked. I was surprised by this response since the place was completely empty or all the guests went to bed early on that particular evening. I went back to the front desk to see what was going on because the person who brought me to the room was acting weird. The other person finally came out from the back room and contemplated what to do for the next 30 minutes. Finally, I asked him if he knew how to check in a hotel guest. He said that the problem was that they had already given all the rooms out with a sea view and that since I had pre-paid, there would be a problem to give me another room. I finally had to tell him how to check me in and that I would take a mountain view. At this point, after waiting for over an hour at 2:30 in the morning, I was grateful to have anything. I arrived at my room, which had a glorious view of the parking lot (not mountain view in sight). The room itself felt dirty and old, so I guess you get what you pay for. The next morning, I went to breakfast which was fine. The clientele is a bit on the tattoo set along with pensioners and lower middle class. If you are looking for a tour package on a budget, then I think this place would be fine. When I left, I asked the reception how long it would take to get to Nicosia. I was told that it would take 10 minutes. It's good that I left an hour early because it takes about 40 minutes by taxi driving at top speeds. This place needs to re-train its personnel or at least pay attention to customer service.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter because the hotel will give you whatever they feel like even if you have reser...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank balticdude4
walsall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

stayed at hotel v satisfied .only gripe no free internet like other hotels.they charge 4 euros for 1hours use

Room Tip: sea view must have.also if here is a wedding.be prepared for no parking in hotel grounds
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed at Palm Beach for 1 week on arrival first impresions were good, Clean nice looking entrance, Poeple working at the desk were nice and helpful.With the room it wasn't great the toilet was broken the tv looked like it was from the 80s and the picture was terrible due to being old the room in general really needs updating.The cleaners were the best every morning they cleaned the room made the bed and replaced everything that i used,Breakfast was included in the price and it was good lots to have and were greeted every morning by nice staff.The beach was nice and the gardens were clean Staff were good on the beach,One other thing was the price of food and drink in the hotel was over priced a salad will cost about 9 euros went to a good cypriot resturant down the road and got one for 3 euros drink is expensive to,Overall avarage but had a nice time

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

It wasn't the first time I had stayed at the Palm Beach, but I was very satisfied once more. It's particularly good that the staff stays the same and welcomes you back so enthusiastically. They even remember my name! I have discussed the hotel with a number of international friends who are occasional visitors, and they all agree with me that the Palm Beach is the nicest hotel on the island.

Room Tip: Wi-fi can be patchy if you are near the lift.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank michael b
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Stayed for two nights over a weekend in a room with ocean view and balcony.

We paid a reasonable price through expedia. Views over the ocean are great, rooms nice and clean without being anything special, and the pool is great. The beach is mediocre, halfdirty sand and shallow water.

The location of the hotel is somewhat isolated so a taxi is needed to get to downtown Larnaca. I would recommend the hotel to anyone who's on a budget and who intends to stay by the pool. Otherwise, this may not be for you.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Republicofdenmark
sprki
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I stayed here with family for 1 week October 5th 2011.

The hotel itself is in nice grounds and benfits from being right against the water, so a nice dip can be had with the greatest of ease. It is relatively close to the airport (Larnaca), so transfer time on our coach ran to approx 15 minutes at most!

Check in was an experience, now I am mindful of the fact there was a language barrier, but the person checking us in was extremelly curt and rude, the rooms had been allocated incorrectly, and she seemed very unhappy at having to change the paperwork around (my OH did not want to spend the week sharing with my gran,as I did not want ot share with my mother, Dad remained unconcerned at having a room to himself for 7 days though...).

We were asked to pay 50 euro's per room in advance for "additional items", which we explained we were not intending to use, and would always pay cash. They refused to give us the rooms until a credit card had been handed over.

The rooms were of a presentable standard, but the most uncomfortable beds ever were in the rooms. Very clean but extremelly thin mattress on the bed, and a protective rubber sheet, which is not the most comfortable thing in the heat, although thankfully the air con was of a good standard to help cool me down.

The lighting in the rooms was very poor, all of us struggling in the dark. I understand the rationale for energy saving bulbs, but it was a bit too much for us to dress of an evening, and my mother struggled to see well enough to do her hair!

The food was to a good standard (we only ate breakfast), and plenty of choice. However, there seemed a lot of people taking asvantage in the hotel filling tupperware boxes and flasks of juice to snack on through the day! It was those people who looked down their noses at others the most around the hotel, still plenty of choice despite their greed, and mother recommends the omlette bar!

Their is a decent gym/ sauna/ etc in the basement, but we were told that this was chargeable part way through the holiday, so again be careful as they want your money for absolutely everything! Also the Wi-Fi is per device not room, so don't bring too many gadgets with you folks!

The min bar is another little bone of contention for the staff. Prior to travel we were told that the hotel rooms had fridges, and booked believing that we could take advantage of this for refreshments, medication, etc.
After check in we realised that they were in fact rather small and stocked to the brim with expensive but basic items. We enquired at front desk if we could clear them, and were told to speak with the manager the following morning! Upon doing so we were told by 'the mini bar controller' (my OH's pet name for the little man with a clipboard) that we could store 'medication only' if we really had to, and they made a point of regularly checking we had nothing else in, removing a soft drink on one occasion I had left over from a trip into town!

The surrounding area of the hotel is not that good, there are a lot of vacant shops and restaurants and the area feels very rundown/ neglected. There is only a handful of places to eat if not full board unless you are willing to take pot luck on a bus arriving to get you into Larnaca Harbour!

The pavements are very neglected and there are a few hotels that are mid demolision, so it is not the easiest of places to get/ walk around.

I would recommend a visit to The Queen's Arms out of the hotel and turn right, next to KFC!
A meal for 5 with drinks only ran to just over 50 euro's on 2 occasions and was absolutely wonderful with huge portions! You would never leave feeling hungry...

Just remember though as one final thought, the hotel has your card details, they are determined to charge for anything they can, walk about with their little books, and on one occasion refused to take cash stating their cash register was broken, but couldn't tell us how much a round of refreshments would be, we later complained about this to a disinterested reception and paid the bill their instead!

Although I would return to Cyprus, it is unlikely I would choose this area again unless it sees major investment/ redevelopment. The hotel is fine/ clean/ presentable but offers very little if you are travelling outside of it, and I do think takes advantage by charging patrons for everything possible due to the limited surrounding amenities!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oroklini
Golden Bay Beach Hotel
Sveltos Hotel
Sveltos Hotel
#3 of 8 in Oroklini
4.5 of 5 stars 81 reviews

Been to Palm Beach Hotel & Bungalows? Share your experiences!