“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tiroran House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tiroran
Tiroran House Hotel
Tiroran PA69 6ES, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Tiroran
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had never stayed on Mull before and had originally planned to rent a cottage. Thank goodness we didn't or we would have missed out on this fantastic hotel, the best country hotel we have ever stayed in. Everything about the place is perfect. A supurb location just of the shore of Loch Sribain, a beautiful garden which guests are encouraged to expolre, warm and welcoming staff, and in Laurence, a convivial host who strikes just the right balance between making you feel that you are a guest at a house party and at the same time giving you the feeling that the house is yours. Our room was not in the main house, but was just a few yards away. It was spacious and spotless with a large bathroom and had views down over the Loch. The bed was large and comfortable and the towels in the bathroom were also large and had that knack of seeming to dry you instantly. The food was fantastic with very substantial breakfasts with a wide choice. The evening started for us with a drink in one of the two comfortable lounges where new guests are introduced to the others by Laurence who was quite often dressed in his kilt. There was the opportunity to converse with the other guests and share experiences of the island which was great for us as virgin visitors. The dinner menu changes daily and the food was excellent with fresh ingredients and great cookery skill. The wine list was extensive and not expensive and after dinner there was the opportunity for a dram in the lounge with more conversation and repartee with the other guests. There are some beautiful walks from the house and for those interested in wild life a trip with Bryan Rains who runs "Wild about Mull" in Pennyghael is a must. We saw Otters, white tailed eagles, golden eagles amd much more on our day out with him. We stayed at Tiroran for 8 nights and can truly say that this was one of our best holiday experiences, in spite of the weather! Thanks Tiroran, Laurence and staff. We are just booking again for next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tiroran, Owner at Tiroran House Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you very much indeed for such a lovely review. You summed up everything about your holiday here beautifully and I additionally know from Laurence and our staff how much you enjoyed everything so I also very much thank you for taking the time to write and share your experiences with readers of this website.

I do say this in the management responses often, but we really do appreciate such great recommendation (and in our very specific island location that not everyone realises is a fully encompassing holiday destination) guests who have taken a longer time to discover the Isle of Mull and then write about their experiences here on this site, are genuinely knowledgeable - and we sincerely thank you for sharing yours about Tiroran House as your base - and of course, in the process, for your much appreciated support.

Laurence joins me in sending our very best wishes to you both and we really are looking forward to your return next year.

Kindest regards

196 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was on a cycling trip round Mull and arrived at Tiroran late one Friday afternoon, completely soaked and with a puncture which, if I couldn't fix it, would bring my cycling adventure to an abrupt end. Laurence met me at the door and showed me to my lovely cosy room. He then whisked my wet things away, served me tea in the drawing room and headed off to fix my puncture. I truly felt like a welcome guest.

Dinner was perfect. The lamb was the best I've tasted in a long time (ever?) not just due to the quality of the meat but equally to the skillful way it was cooked. All 3 courses were a credit to the chef and the whole dining experience was excellent - the service, the surroundings, the wine - perfect after a day of battling the elements.

I really enjoyed meeting the other guests before and after dinner and met some lovely dogs who are also welcome guests, including Penny the resident Border Terrier .

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Tiroran. Like many of the guests who have written reviews, I too have stayed in some of the world's top-class hotels and for me Tiroran is up there with the best for the quality of surroundings, food and especially the friendly welcome. Well done Laurence and Katy. Not only are you running a 1st class establishment, but you're also managing to do wonderful things from a remote location, which brings its own unique challenges. I do hope to see you again along with a few of my friends and family next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you very much indeed for your lovely review, I know that you told me how much you enjoyed your stay and I know how grateful you were to be 'rescued' by Laurence and able to continue your holiday - being as remote as we are, it would be fair to say that there is not much we cant solve if something goes wrong, we are quite resourceful - but genuinely, we thank you for sharing your experiences here on this website.

We would love to welcome you back next time you are planning a visit to the island so hopefully we shall see you again in the not too distant future.

Thank you again for your recommendation, and we genuinely appreciate your time spent writing and posting your review on Trip Advisor.

Laurence joins me in sending very best wishes to you and i do hope that the rest of your holiday was not marred by cycling problems and very wet weather!

Shropshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This is an outstanding boutique hotel for one of those 'get away from it all' vacations. Never having visited the beautiful Isle of Mull before, we used Alistair Sawday's book to persuade us to book a 5 night stay at Tiroran House during the last week in August. We couldn't have chosen better.
This gorgeous country house and 17 acre gardens are perfectly situated for exploring Mull. For reasons of room availability, we stayed one night in Pine room and a further 4 nights in the more expensive and very spacious West room. Both were well furnished, spotlessly clean and extremely comfortable.
Laurence was very welcoming and helpful and not at all 'pushy' unlike some hoteliers. The staff were well trained and were always friendly and cheerful.
Breakfasts were of very high quality and the choice was extensive. The highlight of each day was dinner which turned out to be some of the consistently best fine dining that we have ever experienced! We really appreciated the limited choice of menu which changed daily. We are fortunate in liking most foods (providing they are well prepared) and we are always suspicious of quality when presented with a lengthy menu. No such problem here; starters, main courses and deserts were all beautifully prepared and presented. We just fail to understand anyone awarding the cuisine anything less than 5 stars.
Overall, Tiroran House is a merciful change from the multitude of bland 4 and 5 star hotels that are plentiful throughout the world. Our time on Mull was all too brief. This is somewhere we wouldn't hesitate returning to for a follow-up visit.
Thank you Laurence and all your team for making us so welcome.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your wonderful review, you are right, we are a bit of a 'find' as you put it! Well off the beaten track so to speak and therefore we make a real effort to ensure that guests are comfortable - in every way. Its a long way to come to be disappointed - and we are both delighted that you certainly were not.

Recommendation from any source is vital for us to succeed, and we genuinely thank you for yours here on this website.

A real compliment is to be described as a 'merciful change' - Thank you so much.

with very best wishes from us all and we hope to see you again soon.

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We have stayed in many boutique and business hotels around the world and none of them come close to Tiroran House in meeting our needs. I have been looking for the Perfect getaway hotel for a long time and was delighted to discover Tiroran. Everything about it makes for the most perfect relaxing and unforgettable experience. We are not the easiest of diners to cater for with a mixture of allergy and fadiness to circumnavigate - nothing was too much trouble for the owners and staff and we were delighted with the food at every meal - it surpassed our expectations And was worth every penny - make sure you convince them to put the crumble on the menu - it was divine!!!! For us, the icing on the cake was the fact that Tiroran welcome dogs and our lab had a ball! Thank you to everyone at Tiroran who made us feel like we were staying with friends for a few nights who live in the most amazing house in the most incredible of locations.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Tiroran, Owner at Tiroran House Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Thank you both so much for your very kind and complimentary review about Tiroran House, it was lovely that you settled in so well during your stay and we are delighted that you are so pleased with the way in which we provided you with all the things that you requested, and that you happily recommend us because of this as such a perfect getaway destination.

The crumble was certainly a hit with you as I recall your request for it again on your last night, its very popular here at Tiroran as it has a couple of secret ingredients in it and of course, it is cooked in the Aga!

We always appreciate kind reviews that recommend us on this website, we work hard to be the best that we can and when you are at the top of the search pages because guests make the effort to write such nice things, it does without question help us to be noticed. So thank you again for your kind words.

We hope very much that you will return again soon.

Very best wishes from us all.

Prestwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at Tiroran. Welcome from Laurence right at the beginning makes you feel like a welcome guest in his house and from there you continue to feel very welcome indeed.

Must agree with reviewer "misl2455" regarding meeting guests before dinner. I loved the opportunity and really enjoyed meeting some of the other guests, who were all introduced (in a casual and often amusing way) by Laurence. Two sitting rooms to choose where to sit, meaning a maximum of about 8 people in each - a nice sociable number.

Must totally disagree with Ktsadventures. This was good fine dining.
I did not particularly enjoy 2 of my 3 starters (my wife enjoyed all of hers) but that may have been a poor choice by me - not the quality of produce or skills in kitchen!
All 4 of my main courses were outstanding. The quality of the beef, lamb, pork and venison that I had was obvious. Cooked extremely skilfully with well thought out accompaniments which complimented perfectly. Desert was a delight, although I was a wee bit disappointed that there were no changes on the cheese board during my stay. My wife thought one of the deserts that she had was "best ever"! And she is very good at deserts herself!!
Staff were delightful too. Ivana never stopped smiling (but meant it too!).
We had Garden Room - lovely, clean, spacious, best bed ever award!

Have stayed at quite a few 4 star hotels in our time but never have I written an e-mail to the owner on my return saying "sorry we dashed away and never got chance to say thanks & cheerio"!!

We felt that welcome. Lovely hotel, wonderful staff, quality food, pleasant room, good company and fantastic location. Loved it!

Room Tip: Gardem Room had most devine bed ever!! Nice to have private entrance from garden. Sorry if bathroom...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for writing to us directly to tell us what a wonderful time you had when you were staying at Tiroran House, I am sure other hotels get thank you letters and emails too, but it still remains extra special for Laurence and me when we do - it was so kind of you to write.

It was also very kind of you to write a review here on this site, and to make mention of the disagreement you have with the reviewer below you. As i said in my response, getting things wrong on plates is not something we want people to ignore, and of course, you are right, the food is excellent and much care, skill and attention goes into its preparation by our experienced and conscientious chef. And you are right again, it is sometimes hard to know and choose the right thing to eat (anywhere) Laurence also suffers from this - often!!

The clover oil you mention in your room tip still lingers but its not like most clover smells at all, its beautifully floral too and there is no evidence of your spillage at all - which is all good because I do think it will be there for some time to come!!

With our very best wishes to you both and kindest regards from us all - we shall hope very much to see you here again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Food- breakfasts are reasonable but evening meals are unpredictable. One was great, two were poor. The owners say that you should raise concerns at the time but complaining about bland, cold food served on cold plates just spoils your own experience. One shouldn't have to ask for the basics.
Rooms- the decor in our room was a little bit tired. I think there is probably a range of different styles of room. We may have missed out on the special ones. I wouldn't describe ours as superior. Also, carpet on the bathroom floor is a pet hate of mine- when it comes to cleanliness.
Overall, the setting of the house is stunning, the wildlife spotting opportunities are great and the convivial atmosphere with the other guests is enjoyable. The owners and staff try hard. I just don't think Tiroran is as good quality and/or value for money as similar places we've stayed at in Scotland, that are run on a country house-type basis.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Tiroran House was the highlight of our road trip round Scotland and Ireland. From the moment you arrive you feel welcomed and well looked after due to the personal attention of the owners. We were invited to join other guests over drinks before the evening meal, but equally were free not to. We loved the "houseparty" atmosphere and met and talked to some interesting people during our three day stay. The rooms were delightful - individually decorated and with all comforts you'd expect from a luxury hotel. Not easy, I imagine, in a relatively isolated location!

After a day walking and exploring this beautiful, wild, island, Tiroran House welcomed you back with hot bath, and the promise of excellent cuisine. Each member of staff was concerned only with looking after our needs and desires. We felt so pampered by everyone!

I will certainly recommend Tiroran House to anyone visiting Mull. We have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels around the world, but this one stands out! Thank you Laurence and Katie - and Ivana and Matthew - and to all, including those whom we did not meet personally, but who took such care to look after us as we visited this special island. We have many happy memories we will treasure!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for such complimentary words about Tiroran House, and for taking the time to write such an eloquent review. We are absolutely delighted that you had such a wonderful stay - and in every possible way.

I keep saying the same thing in many review responses, but your genuine recommendation of Tiroran House helps us to continue to be noticed by other travellers on this site and in this difficult economical time we certainly appreciate your kindness in sharing your experiences with them.

We very much hope that you will return again soon and I know that all our staff and Laurence extend their very best wishes to you both too.

With very kind regards and very best wishes from me too.

Owner

Been to Tiroran House Hotel? Share your experiences!