“"Didn't meet my expectations...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 17 Restaurants in Salinas
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Puerto Rico
“"Didn't meet my expectations...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I usually visit different places to dine because I don't like to repeat restaurants. For many years this restaurant has been very popular in Puerto Rico and I had wanted to eat a seafood salad with octopus and conch meat "carrucho" and thought this was a good choice to change the routine of the Metropolitan Area (San Juan, Isla Verde, etc.).

We decided to go to the Southern Area of Puerto Rico (Salinas). I can begin to say that the restaurant is located close to the sea and is a bit difficult to get to. The employee that answer the phone was very helpful in directing us.

It has a large parking lot. The restaurant consists of two floors, the upper part was closed, so we sat on the first floor, is nothing but a large terrace, with many tables and plastic chairs, nothing fancy, extremely lightened, I believe it was due to the mosquitoes. It's located in front of a marina, where you can see huge fish and you can feed them. At least at the time of our visit, I could smell a strong humid or mold smell so I asked to change tables, which they kindly agreed. The waitress, young and a bit slow and not as attentive as it should be. We weren't visiting during peak hours, there was no volume of customers so it didn't understand why the service was so slow, but we stayed and continue with our dinner.

The restaurant is a bit pricey, we ask for 2 appetizers, fried plantains stuffed with lobster and another one with shrimps but the portion was very small for the price. We also ordered beer and sodas. For our main entree I ordered a seafood "mariscada" (octopus, shrimp, lobster, conch meat) salad with fried plantains and garden salad; my boyfriend ordered a golden bream in "mojo isleno" or mojo sauce stuffed with seafood "mariscada" and mofongo "mashed green plantains". My boyfriend liked his, I didn't like mine; it tasted funny, not like other seafood salads I've tasted before. I left the plate almost intact. And it almost came up to $75.

I wouldn't go back nor recommend it. But not all people have the same palate, may have been a bad day for the Chef... but you can be adventurous and go under your own risk.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
“Good food -”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Its very good food...it is better to go late in the afternoon since at lunch it gets too full.

Visited November 2011
CT
“Please keep away -”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

First of all if you want to eat good seafood in the area, please go to El Roble or El Capitan rest (same area) best restaurants ever. I try la Barca and did not met my expectations at all. First, the service is slow & awful, our table was located in the outside venue aprox 6pm one evening we were bomb with flies that I could not hold a conversation with out swallowing one. So, I complain to the waiter about the situation, first he told me that the (inside venue was closed, so the only option was the outside) at that time our food came (which was awful, no taste to it) 2 minutes after the waiter comes with a bottle which seem to look like a mosquito btl fumigating our table, my legs my food..mosquitos landing in my plate..fume landing in my plate...I was like are you retarded....what was wrong with this dude (waiter)?/!! I returned my full plate of food and everyone else at the table..I told him not to expect me to pay for this. Which I did not...they did actually charged me only for the mosquito drink....it was one of the horrible rest experience of my life. I do not recommend this rest.

• Visited November 2010
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Ponce
“I didn't like it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

If you are looking for a good value restaurant in front of the water, with great dinner, great service and great atmosphere well, maybe you are expecting too much. I was there with my husband celebrating our anniversary, I wanted to go to the " El Roble" because I love their food specially the Red snapper, the thing I wanted. But my husband wanted to try another restaurant. Well I wanted one near the water so we decide on this one.

The restaurant had a very big terrace with a lot of tables there were only one family and two guys on it. We went on late afternoon the sun was going down and the reflection on the water was nice but a little to shiny on us. But that was ok. That were one waiter attending the customers and when she saw us, she tell that we can sit. So we did, there were plenty of tables. They had ceiling fans all over that when turned on all paper napkins were flying, the waiter told us to not bother but she didn't take them from the floor. Later I realize that the fans on was better because the lot of mosquitoes that were in the place. I asked if they have red snapper and she told me that they had just little snappers, she show me the fish and I told her for me was ok , just that Iike it tender so I decide to ordered snapper on sauce.

We order a Piña Colada and a Beer($3.00 small bottle of coors). They was serve on a disposable cups, I didn't like that. The cups were little, the colada was like an a 10 oz cup for $3.00, and it taste like there was from a colada machine. I like the Piña Colada from the blender with lot of Coco Lopez, I like it sweet. I didn't find the taste of coco lopez just the pineapple juice on the ice.

I order the snapper in sauce with plantains , rice and beans. The rice was large and the beans were ok, they serve like a 10 fried plantains or more so that was large too.
Now the snapper was so fried under that smudgy onions sauce that my folk couldn't enter the meat. They politely change it. But it wasn't as I like it, the sauce ... well a litte sauce in bunch of onions. And wasn't as tender as I like.

My husband ordered mofongo with lobster, the mofongo taste good and he told me the lobster was tender and had enough lobster with a small salad that for 19.00 ( the menu said was $22.50) I think that was good I don't kow about the prices of that.

Maybe for the experience on the snapper they charge less, or was on a special I don't know. We had to ask for water and when we finished they didn't offered dessert as other restaurant do. When we paid no mints were offered.

Well It could be better it could be worst. Wasn't as I expected so I will not going back again. I preferred a better service.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
ronquido
“Good eats at a good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

The restaurant has two levels, one is "al fresco the other one, upstairs, is enclose and air conditioned. We visited the restaurant on Tuesday night and it was nearly deserted except for one family. Service was fast and very courteous.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere