“Heartless Company on Deposit Refund” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Buchu Bushcamp

Buchu Bushcamp
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bredasdorp
Buchu Bushcamp
You added Buchu Bushcamp to your Saves list
De Hoop Nature Reserve, Bredasdorp, South Africa   |
“Heartless Company on Deposit Refund”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

Although I never did stay at this bushcamp, I wanted to warn travelers as to their inflexible deposit refund policy. My family of 8 adults was scheduled to stay here for 3 days when my daughter-in-law was admitted to a hospital with a life threatening heart infection 3 days prior to our arrival. I immediately tried to contact Buchu Bushcamp to inform them of our dire circumstances. I phoned several times and each time was told that I would have to speak to Annette who was never there. I finally received an email from Annette and while she said that she had empathy for our situation, would only refund 50% of our deposit. Where as the amount of money is inconsequential compared to the life of my daughter-in-law, I was extremely disappointed in their attitude. It was always about their loss of revenue and not the extreme crisis we found ourselves in. An emergency like this could happen to anyone. This was certainly not a trivial reason to cancel this reservation. We had to cancel several other things and each company refunded us in full. Buchu Bushcamp was the ONLY company that took this stand. Please be warned that if you choose to reserve accommodations here, you are committed and cannot expect any consideration should you find yourself in a tragic situation.

Stayed October 2008

Business
dorset
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2007

I was really looking forward to staying at the Buchu Bushcamp and visiting the De Hoop area. However I was very disappointed with the quality of the chalets compared to the cost per person and the service offered at the lodge in general. I think that on booking they should be more precise on things like no electricity at certain times of the day, only being able to dine in the restaurant if you have made a reservation before 4pm (thankfully we had arrived early) and not having any choice on the menu so if you did not like the fish you didnt eat. We had no hot water in the morning which I didnt find amusing especailly when there is no electricity. If I had children I wouldnt have stayed there.
The surrounding area was very beautiful but I would not stay at the camp again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no hot water
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Send, Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

Buchu is a small group of thatched chalets just next to the main gate of De Hoop Nature Reserve. The chalets are nicely furnished with their own private decks and walkways. You are surrounded by the bush with lots of wild flowers including Proteas. The camp has a main lodge with a comfortable guest area and restaurant serving traditional food. One little quirk is that the electricity supply is turned off at night but you are supplied with lanterns and torches. Main advantage of staying here is that you are right at De Hoop with some of the best land based whale watching in the world. We were provided with a lovely picnic and spent a wonderful day with the whales - doesn't get any better than than really!

• Liked — In the middle of nowhere, amazing whales and flowers
  • Disliked — Slightly difficult for people with disabilities but manageable
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Buchu Bushcamp? Share your experiences!