“One of the best places I stayed in Italy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Osteria Dell'Orcia

Save Saved
You added Hotel Osteria Dell'Orcia to your Saves list
Hotel Osteria Dell'Orcia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Case Sparse, 15 | Bagno Vignoni, 53023 Castiglione D'Orcia, Italy   |
New York City, New York
“One of the best places I stayed in Italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently took a trip to Italy and stayed here for three nights on our way through Italy. We were not disappointed. From the beautiful building and accomodations to the friendly service and the delicious food, every part of our stay was wonderful, relaxing and made us really never want to leave Tuscany. If you happen to eat dinner at the hotel restaurant, the Pici with Aglione sauce was one of the simplest yet best plates of pasta my girlfriend and I had ever tasted.

We will definitely be coming back again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife and I, along with our 6 month old son and both my parents, stayed here for a whole week in early June 2013.

Finding the place can be a bit challenging - we ended up circling for about 20 minutes before finally arriving. Head for Castiglione D'Orcia and just after you've pulled off the main road to enter the town, you need to turn right into what looks like a small carpark, before turning left and heading down the track where you find the hotel.

The building is beautifully restored and the rooms are well thought out. I can't think of anything we needed in the room that wasn't provided. The beds are actually very comfortable as well, providing a decent night's sleep. It doesn't have a "luxury" feel though - rather a much more "homely" feel.

The restuarant is also very good. Given we had the baby we ate in the restaurant every night bar one. The menu is relatively small, so by the last night we were struggling a little in terms of ordering, but the food itself is very good, if not quite excellent. There is a decent selection of wine that is reasonably priced - not just Tuscan wine, but also Amarone's and other regional Italian wines, which I thought was a nice touch.

The real point of difference for this hotel in my opinion is the service. This was in evidence before arrival and during our stay and also on checkout.

We had emailed in advance to ask for a cot for our baby and also a ground floor room for my mother who was a bit ill. There were no issues and we received a reply within hours confirming that our needs had been catered to. I've had a lot more difficulty arranging things like this with hotels in the past.

During our stay the service continued to excel. The two owners are simply lovely and offer all the advice you need. We were recommended trips, and also to visit some places that weren't even listed in our guidebook, and which provided some of the best memories of the entire holiday.

A vineyard booking was no issue - even though most of the ones I wanted to visit were booked out, Sylvano persisted and eventually we were able to get a tour at Casanova Neri (not particularly recommended by the way). Great service and beyond what I could reasonably have expected.

Then to cap it all off, on our last night, we were presented with several bottles of prosecco and a few bags of Amaretti biscuits as gifts to take home. Again, service beyond the call of duty.

I think I can honestly say I have never received such personalised and effective service in my 10+ years of travel.

Are there any downsides I hear you ask? Well not many to be honest. The price is not cheap it has to be said. I think for the 7 nights for 2 rooms, with all breakfasts and dinners (including wine) we paid about 3,300 EUR. Given the level of service, amount of wine and good quality food however, this in a way felt like a bit of a bargain.

Overall I really can't recommend this place highly enough. I would return tomorrow if I didn't live on the other side of the world.

Very highly recommended.

Room Tip: My parents room on the ground floor was both quiet and afforded great views over the grounds - I for...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have done a great deal of travelling and the experience at this villa was second to none! Aside from the very comfortable and quiet rooms, the grounds including the pool were beautiful. The management and service provided was the best I have ever experienced anywhere in the world! Knowing that we had been cycling to his location, Sylvanno offered to make us omelettes in the morning even though the usual European continental breakfast was the standard. We had a supper here that was our best meal in Tuscany and we had many excellent meals. I can't say enough good things about this wonderful place!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Karlsruhe, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed 4 nights at this hotel with my wife and daughter (a 7 months old baby).

I must say I was extremely surprised with the Hotel dependencies and the staff. The hotel is small, which is good and it is in superb shape. It is taken care in the minimum details, from the garden to the rooms. It is a typical Tuscan style place, cosy, well decorated, very clean and quiet.

Their website really shows the truth, rooms and the hotel itself are exactly as shown in the pictures.

Rooms are cleaned two times a day (something you just get in more luxurious hotels), there's free wifi over the entire place and the restaurant offers you good food, superb service and a great wine variety. Also its location is perfect for exploring the region.

Regarding the superb service, I must say that this is their strength! From the moment I arrived until I left, the two owners were always trying to go the extra mile to make me and my family comfortable, I felt at home! They arranged everything we asked them, from vineyards visits and restaurants reservations to giving us special baby food.

Not only the owners were engaged in making us feel at home, but also their employees, honestly I haven't seen such a good service in Italy and in Europe. Flawless!

This 5 days were wonderful and we are definitely coming back!! Hotel is more than recommended, it is a must.

Room Tip: Any room you'll get a nice view... go for it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Baku, Azerbaijan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Excellent hotel, excellent place for relaxing and refreshing vacation. Staff is professional, hospitality is at a very high level. The rooms are comfortable and beautifully designed. It is pleasant to wake up with a nice view outside and sounds of birds. Food is very delicious, and services at high level. Don't be afraid of the distances. The staff will organize pick-up if you want to visit the neighboring villages. Highly recommended if you want to have a relaxing and quiet holiday.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

WOW it has been an amazing stay, the staff is very discrete, the hotel is clean and very nice. a bit difficult to find at first - make sure to contact them beforehand or set your GPS to Bagno Vignoni. Zorro is a very sweet donkey who is just outside the building. this osteria is a real jewel - they serve you their own youghurt for breakfast and homemade cakes - as well as exotic fruit such as pinapple or leaches. Dont have any doubts - just book this hotel and make sure not to stress yourself during your stay! drink loads of wine - eat loads of healthy good food and visit nearby Montepulciano and Montalcino - enjoy Toscana - its HEAVEN!

Room Tip: sliightly noisy if hotel is full - the rooms are not well sound insulated but its lovely
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The garden is very romantic, and if time permits, it is very nice to just sit outside by the pool or front garden. It was very relaxing..

They even have a little donkey outside the parking area!

We have only stayed here for one day, but wish we would have booked it for longer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Osteria Dell'Orcia? Share your experiences!