“Excellent family holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Adler Thermae Spa & Relax Resort

You added Hotel Adler Thermae Spa & Relax Resort to your Saves list
Hotel Adler Thermae Spa & Relax Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Via Bagno Vignoni 1 | S. Quirico D'Orcia, 53027 Bagno Vignoni, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bagno Vignoni
shanghai
“Excellent family holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We hunted for a resort combining an interesting location, decent food/ comfortable rooms, and child facilities. Fortunately for us my wife found Adler Thermae online, as they don't seem to advertise. I was a bit sceptical about the "spa" aspect, fearing a slightly older crowd, but I was wrong. The setting is beautiful and great for Tuscan villages, facilities (including super pools, lots for kids) excellent, and the food fresh, varied and of very high quality. It is not a cheap package, but I cannot recommend it highly enough. They get most of their business from repeat guests: we will certainly be back!

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2014

This is my 3rd trip, this time in October, and it was better than ever. The staff are all friendly the food is fantastic, and the treatments relaxing. You don't need to pay for treatments as the various relaxation facilities are available to all.

It's expensive but there is no reason to treat the staff as servants (which we witnessed a few times).

The focal point is the spa pool which is wonderful place to relax. Go early morning before the air pumps start.

This is THE place for a couple to relax and enjoy the luxury of an all inclusive Spa hotel. Nothing is too much for the staff.

Would I go with children (although they are catered for) then no. Would I go in a group, again no, but that's just me. Table for 2 at dinner. Perfect

The hotel MT bikes are free to use so try a MT bike or walk over to San Quirico d'orcia via the dirt track over the top, It's hard work going up but if you MT bike come back on the main road it's ALL DOWNHILL; Then dive in that Spa pool when you get back. Fantastic :-) and don't leave your manners at home, just your stress.

We'll be back

Molto bene

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

My husband and I went there for relaxation and instead we were faced with kids running and screaming in the hallway, a guest cursing at the hotel in the middle of the night and an ants infestation in our room. The good part of it is that it's well located, cities like pienza and Siena are easily reachable if you have a car. We also went on the honey and wine tasting in Montalcino which was really nice. The thermal pool is also good.
If you have been to the Adler Balance and Mountain Lodge, you will find the Adler Thermae very disappointing. If it's your first time at an Adler then you'll like the place.

• Stayed July 2014
adlerthermae, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Adler Thermae Spa & Relax Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2014
Dear guests,
thank you for your feed back of your stay at the ADLER THERMAE Spa & Relax Resort. We are sorry to read that your summer-holidays in our resort at Tuscany was not satisfying for you.

Creating and maintaining the right atmosphere for a pleasant and relaxing holiday for all our guests is our constant endeavor. Special during the school holidays, where we have more children in the resort, we try to combine the contrasting needs of our guests and to maintain the peaceful ambiance. We really feel sorry for the discomfort caused during your holidays and apologize therefor.

We hope to welcome you again at the ADLER THERMAE Spa & Relax Resort at your next stay in Tuscany.

Kindly regards
Anton Pichler
KL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2014

This is the pinnacle experience as it combines the soul of Italy with the Teutonic organization of the Austrian family. The waters are not the highest quality healing waters in the world but there is something there. Service and food are excellent and the surroundings are stunning.

I will be a regular at this place forever...

Room Tip: Try the relaxing room with fire and views
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Heredia, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2014

My family of 7 adults visited this hotel for a week in October 2014. The setting was amazing and mostly we enjoyed ourselves. Some of the spa treatments were disappointing. Mostly the people giving treatments were aloof and did not communicate well. The desk staff was great. The front desk was great. The dinner staff was great. The food was quite good but not quite 5 star. Our room was too warm and we had to keep our patio doors open at night to be comfortable. Honestly I think 7 days here was too much. Five days would have been better for us. We did take trips to towns nearby and enjoyed those outings. All in all, a bit overpriced for what you get. For example, the furniture in the rooms was not particularly comfortable. Some of the Italian guests were very rude.

Room Tip: There was wifi, but it was pretty unreliable. We often could not even upload our email.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

In summary, the Hotel Adler is an impressive, spa complex with high end offerings, food, and service. There are a multitude of activities starting with the large spa with various pools and saunas, and also other activities including various biking and hiking trails. The food is extensive, generally wonderful, and varied (we opted for half board option). Service is generally helpful especially our waiter for dinner during our stay; they made us feel special on our Honeymoon. The hotel is also well located in southern Tuscany right off the highway and near wine producing areas (Montalcino, Montelpulciano) and other tourist destinations (such as Pienza). Few issues we encountered include terrible wifi service throughout the hotel, some "help" we requested at front desk was not helpful at all (elaborate below), they charge 5EUR for ice delivered to your room, and the room had a simple, bland decor and somewhat off putting odor. Also, note, there were many young children at this hotel which detracted from the relaxation of the stay.

We had extremely high expectations given the location and cost (very expensive) and the fact it was our honeymoon; the hotel is geared to a different crowd (older couples/anniversaries, European families), and did not have the level of relaxation and pampering expected. In hindsight, would have probably chosen something else. Despite the issues, still rating 5 star (although would probably characterize as 4.5 and some aspects were definitely lower).

Specifically:

The hotel is an impressive Tuscan spa/retreat in a beautiful part of the world. Hotel grounds are stunning and views of countryside are picturesque. Can easily spend the day at spa, lounging, and staring into the distance with a glass of wine in hand. The main thermal pool is the focal point of the grounds and it is fantastic. The other saunas and steam rooms are also well designed (including an adults only area which is needed to get away from the many children at the hotel). The fitness room is also noteworthy with varied, modern equipment.

The food offered is plentiful, varied, and fantastic. Highly recommend getting the half board option (buffet breakfast, afternoon cake, 5 course dinner) as dinners should not be missed. While the hotel focus on healthy living, it is easy to be gluttonous here. Breakfasts were the best hotel breakfasts we had in 2 weeks in Italy. However, we were there for 3 nights and it was definitely enough - by the end of the trip we were itching to eat somewhere else. There is also a bar/lounge in the main lobby, but after dinner it was deserted and somewhat depressing (musician did not help things).

Our room was large, simple and elegant, if a tad understated. We were upgraded due to our honeymoon and had a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath at the end of the hall on 2nd floor. May be a matter of taste but I didn't much care for the decor. At the very least, suggest they update the 80s style carpets. There was also a somewhat unpleasant odor in the room when we checked in. The best part of the room was the balcony offering beautiful views of the countryside as we were away from the main part of the complex.

Service is generally 5 star quality, especially our waiter at dinner (we sat at same table each night). They made us feel special on our honeymoon by providing a room upgrade and a bottle of Prosecco with strawberries at check in (wonderful!). The front desk staff act as concierges as well and there is mixed levels of helpfulness here. For example, they highly recommended we visit a specific vineyard on a Sunday, which ended up being closed on the weekends (this is something they should know). They also recommend a hiking trail which was washed away by recent rains. Finally, we asked for some ice delivered to our room, as there are no ice machines for guests; they charged us a 5EUR bar fee - in all my years of travel around the world, I have never heard of a hotel charging for ice.

Few other things to note, this is by no means a boutique experience and in some ways may lack the expected level of relaxation, as the complex is large with many other couples and surprisingly many children. This is most apparent at mealtime, as the dining room is one large venue but also in the main spa/pool area all day. In some ways, it felt like a high-end, cruise ship in the Tuscan hills. Also, the wifi is frustratingly spotty and slow. And the login system is ridiculously annoying as it constantly kicks you off and needs to be reset. One of the worst systems have ever encountered in any hotel (almost deducted a star just for this issue)

Room Tip: Suggest 2nd floor, pool side and at the very end of complex for quiet
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2014

My wife and I booked this hotel as the highlight of our honeymoon so my expectations were very high. Unfortunately, I am afraid that my expectations were probably a little too high.

LOCATION
The location was gorgeous! This was definitely a beautiful location and the grounds were all very well kept. The facilities were all very nice as well. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the mineral pool and we also used many of the spa services. We had rented a car from Florence and drove down to the Adler Thermae and I think this is the way to do it. I had scheduled our 3 to 4 day stay there with spa service in the morning, visiting Tuscany by car during the afternoon, and return to the hotel for dinner.

SPA SERVICE
I must admit that I am a bit of a novice to getting spa services. We got the brunello wine bath/massage, the private salt water grotto treatment, and the clay rub/sauna. The wine bath was pretty good except they didn't fill up my bathtub with enough water/wine mixture leaving me feeling chilly during the whole treatment. The salt water grotto is basically a private underground hot tub where you are resting in dead sea salted water. The clay rub/sauna involves rubbing your entire body with clay and then sitting in a sauna for 10 to 15 minutes. My body felt relaxed and my skin was amazingly soft after all 3 treatments (except for the brunello wine bath since I was cold for most of the bath).

FOOD
The food was also quite good, although not as good as some of the neighboring hill towns. I should note that while I thought the food was quite good, I got over it after the 2nd night. While the dinner changes each night, the breakfast is always the same. What upset me the most about our stay was that the hotel charged us for water at dinner during our "all-inclusive" stay. While spending 2 to 3 Euros on a bottle of water isn't exactly a big deal to me; it appears that this hotel is comfortable with nickel and diming their patrons for the most basic items.

ROOM
The room was definitely a large size for Europe. We were on the bottom floor and had a doorway that opened up straight to the pool. I think the rooms on the top floor would have a better view since ours was slightly obstructed by the bushes around the pool. The room has an interesting AC/heating mechanism here the room is heated or cooled via water running through pipes under your floor or something like that. I am not exactly how it works and I am not sure if it was working since we didn't need to adjust the climate too much while we were in our rooms. The one that I was certain didn't work were the two lights next to our sliding glass door and the heated towel rack next to the bathtub.

BONUS NOTE
I am not sure if this place is really a honeymoon place or more of a 10 year anniversary place. I definitely felt that I was a few generations below the average age group here. This feeling didn't adversely affect my stay at this hotel, but it was something that I definitely noticed.

CONCLUSION
All and all this was a great hotel with some things that disappointed me. Perhaps I am too accustomed to being pampered at hotels but I definitely did not feel pampered at this hotel. This is why I marked the service as 3 out of 5 which tripadvisor lists as average. I think average is a perfect word to describe the service. It definitely wasn't bad, but it definitely did not feel better than average. In addition, we had mentioned to all our hotels that we were on our honeymoon and most hotels usually provide some sort of congratulatory item. Even the cheaper hotels offered free inexpensive prosecco. The Adler Thermae was kind enough to offer us prosecco, but they were also kind enough to charge us for it. I personally would give this place about 3.5 of 5 but I decided to round up to a 4 instead of down to a 3 because my wife loved the place and I've been advised that should be all that truly matters.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor should have a better view
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Adler Thermae Spa & Relax Resort? Share your experiences!