“A luxury, Tuscan retreat, but don't expect to be relaxed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Adler Thermae Spa & Relax Resort

Save Saved
You added Hotel Adler Thermae Spa & Relax Resort to your Saves list
Hotel Adler Thermae Spa & Relax Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Via Bagno Vignoni 1 | S. Quirico D'Orcia, 53027 Bagno Vignoni, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bagno Vignoni
New York City, New York
“A luxury, Tuscan retreat, but don't expect to be relaxed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

In summary, the Hotel Adler is an impressive, spa complex with high end offerings, food, and service. There are a multitude of activities starting with the large spa with various pools and saunas, and also other activities including various biking and hiking trails. The food is extensive, generally wonderful, and varied (we opted for half board option). Service is generally helpful especially our waiter for dinner during our stay; they made us feel special on our Honeymoon. The hotel is also well located in southern Tuscany right off the highway and near wine producing areas (Montalcino, Montelpulciano) and other tourist destinations (such as Pienza). Few issues we encountered include terrible wifi service throughout the hotel, some "help" we requested at front desk was not helpful at all (elaborate below), they charge 5EUR for ice delivered to your room, and the room had a simple, bland decor and somewhat off putting odor. Also, note, there were many young children at this hotel which detracted from the relaxation of the stay.

We had extremely high expectations given the location and cost (very expensive) and the fact it was our honeymoon; the hotel is geared to a different crowd (older couples/anniversaries, European families), and did not have the level of relaxation and pampering expected. In hindsight, would have probably chosen something else. Despite the issues, still rating 5 star (although would probably characterize as 4.5 and some aspects were definitely lower).

Specifically:

The hotel is an impressive Tuscan spa/retreat in a beautiful part of the world. Hotel grounds are stunning and views of countryside are picturesque. Can easily spend the day at spa, lounging, and staring into the distance with a glass of wine in hand. The main thermal pool is the focal point of the grounds and it is fantastic. The other saunas and steam rooms are also well designed (including an adults only area which is needed to get away from the many children at the hotel). The fitness room is also noteworthy with varied, modern equipment.

The food offered is plentiful, varied, and fantastic. Highly recommend getting the half board option (buffet breakfast, afternoon cake, 5 course dinner) as dinners should not be missed. While the hotel focus on healthy living, it is easy to be gluttonous here. Breakfasts were the best hotel breakfasts we had in 2 weeks in Italy. However, we were there for 3 nights and it was definitely enough - by the end of the trip we were itching to eat somewhere else. There is also a bar/lounge in the main lobby, but after dinner it was deserted and somewhat depressing (musician did not help things).

Our room was large, simple and elegant, if a tad understated. We were upgraded due to our honeymoon and had a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath at the end of the hall on 2nd floor. May be a matter of taste but I didn't much care for the decor. At the very least, suggest they update the 80s style carpets. There was also a somewhat unpleasant odor in the room when we checked in. The best part of the room was the balcony offering beautiful views of the countryside as we were away from the main part of the complex.

Service is generally 5 star quality, especially our waiter at dinner (we sat at same table each night). They made us feel special on our honeymoon by providing a room upgrade and a bottle of Prosecco with strawberries at check in (wonderful!). The front desk staff act as concierges as well and there is mixed levels of helpfulness here. For example, they highly recommended we visit a specific vineyard on a Sunday, which ended up being closed on the weekends (this is something they should know). They also recommend a hiking trail which was washed away by recent rains. Finally, we asked for some ice delivered to our room, as there are no ice machines for guests; they charged us a 5EUR bar fee - in all my years of travel around the world, I have never heard of a hotel charging for ice.

Few other things to note, this is by no means a boutique experience and in some ways may lack the expected level of relaxation, as the complex is large with many other couples and surprisingly many children. This is most apparent at mealtime, as the dining room is one large venue but also in the main spa/pool area all day. In some ways, it felt like a high-end, cruise ship in the Tuscan hills. Also, the wifi is frustratingly spotty and slow. And the login system is ridiculously annoying as it constantly kicks you off and needs to be reset. One of the worst systems have ever encountered in any hotel (almost deducted a star just for this issue)

Room Tip: Suggest 2nd floor, pool side and at the very end of complex for quiet
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I booked this hotel as the highlight of our honeymoon so my expectations were very high. Unfortunately, I am afraid that my expectations were probably a little too high.

LOCATION
The location was gorgeous! This was definitely a beautiful location and the grounds were all very well kept. The facilities were all very nice as well. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the mineral pool and we also used many of the spa services. We had rented a car from Florence and drove down to the Adler Thermae and I think this is the way to do it. I had scheduled our 3 to 4 day stay there with spa service in the morning, visiting Tuscany by car during the afternoon, and return to the hotel for dinner.

SPA SERVICE
I must admit that I am a bit of a novice to getting spa services. We got the brunello wine bath/massage, the private salt water grotto treatment, and the clay rub/sauna. The wine bath was pretty good except they didn't fill up my bathtub with enough water/wine mixture leaving me feeling chilly during the whole treatment. The salt water grotto is basically a private underground hot tub where you are resting in dead sea salted water. The clay rub/sauna involves rubbing your entire body with clay and then sitting in a sauna for 10 to 15 minutes. My body felt relaxed and my skin was amazingly soft after all 3 treatments (except for the brunello wine bath since I was cold for most of the bath).

FOOD
The food was also quite good, although not as good as some of the neighboring hill towns. I should note that while I thought the food was quite good, I got over it after the 2nd night. While the dinner changes each night, the breakfast is always the same. What upset me the most about our stay was that the hotel charged us for water at dinner during our "all-inclusive" stay. While spending 2 to 3 Euros on a bottle of water isn't exactly a big deal to me; it appears that this hotel is comfortable with nickel and diming their patrons for the most basic items.

ROOM
The room was definitely a large size for Europe. We were on the bottom floor and had a doorway that opened up straight to the pool. I think the rooms on the top floor would have a better view since ours was slightly obstructed by the bushes around the pool. The room has an interesting AC/heating mechanism here the room is heated or cooled via water running through pipes under your floor or something like that. I am not exactly how it works and I am not sure if it was working since we didn't need to adjust the climate too much while we were in our rooms. The one that I was certain didn't work were the two lights next to our sliding glass door and the heated towel rack next to the bathtub.

BONUS NOTE
I am not sure if this place is really a honeymoon place or more of a 10 year anniversary place. I definitely felt that I was a few generations below the average age group here. This feeling didn't adversely affect my stay at this hotel, but it was something that I definitely noticed.

CONCLUSION
All and all this was a great hotel with some things that disappointed me. Perhaps I am too accustomed to being pampered at hotels but I definitely did not feel pampered at this hotel. This is why I marked the service as 3 out of 5 which tripadvisor lists as average. I think average is a perfect word to describe the service. It definitely wasn't bad, but it definitely did not feel better than average. In addition, we had mentioned to all our hotels that we were on our honeymoon and most hotels usually provide some sort of congratulatory item. Even the cheaper hotels offered free inexpensive prosecco. The Adler Thermae was kind enough to offer us prosecco, but they were also kind enough to charge us for it. I personally would give this place about 3.5 of 5 but I decided to round up to a 4 instead of down to a 3 because my wife loved the place and I've been advised that should be all that truly matters.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor should have a better view
Vignola, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

One of the most relaxing long week-end ever with our large family (fourteen people). High end spa resort with an elegant but pleasant informal approach. Our kids, from 3 to 14 years old, enjoyed the stay very much. Hotel crew as well as hotel guests were surprisingly nice and patient with our gaggle of six "animated" kids. Extremly interesting location for outdoord activities, biking and running. Fascinating landscape scenario. Strongly recommended....

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What an amazing place. Exceptional service from the front desk to the restaurant and also the spa you are treated royally. They would go out of their way to accommodate your request. The place is in a beautiful spot surrounded by beautiful hills vineyards and scenes. A total relaxation and rejuvenation. The food was exceptional. At the spa it was the best massage I ever had.
The only thing is that it is 1 hour south of Siena so to fly I would recommend Florence. We were flying out of Pisa and it took us 21/2 hours to reach. Saying that we booked to go back next year.
Over all an outstanding experience

Room Tip: All the rooms have beautiful view the rooms overlooking the pool have the advantage of water and hil...
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have been here many times and it was always wonderful . This year, perhaps the dinner is arranged very quickly and there was no choice of 9.30 is not filled after him as he ran . This was not the case in recent years. Otherwise, it was wonderful .

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2014

Wonderful experience albeit that is is quite a long time ago (several years actually but it is ot possible to sleect that from the drop down) but I loved it. Area is of course gorgeous and the hotel's accomodations are simply wonderful

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014

Our holiday was ruined by the arrogance and unwillingness of the hotel to admit a mistake they had made...

We booked Bed and breakfast via booking.com, however much to our surprise and delight, when we arrived to check-in, we were told immediately by the staff on reception that we had breakfast AND dinner included (just not lunch). We both assumed either our original booking was wrong or they had upgraded us because we were on our honeymoon - I do not think 99% of people would question this - if they were told explicitly they had dinner included?!

Like any other hotel - they ask you to sign for everything you have - lunch (which isnt included) drinks, coffees etc - okay fine.

So we were signing everything extra we had all week - for treatments, lunch and anything extra for dinner such as wine or other drinks - this was all we were asked to sign for, for the first 4 nights and days we were there

HOWEVER on the last night at dinner, we were given a bill to sign for Dinner x 2 people (25 euros each) we immediately questioned this, and the restaurant said we needed to speak with the hotel reception.

When we did they said that we did not have dinner included all week (despite being told by hotel reception when we checked in AND restaurant staff thought this too - hence not asking us to sign for dinner for first 4 nights). They clearly realised their error on the last night when they were totalling up our bill - but I maintain that this was their mistake - they had all week to rectify this error/oversight.

The cost of the dinner for the two of us, for x5 nights would be 200 euros. In the grand scheme of things this isn't a huge amount of money (less than 10% of our overall spend on the trip) but it is the principle.

Rather than admit their mistake, the hotel made us wait whilst they "spoke to their managers", we still didnt have it resolved the Friday night- they asked us to come to reception in the morning. Then again they used delaying tactics - it wasn't until we checked out and ready to leave at 5pm that they looked to resolve it. Again they just focused on our original booking stating B&B but ignored / didnt believe what we were told on check-in. The evidence was there - what we had signed for all week. We hadn't signed for dinner! In the end they just gave us 50% off dinner. If 50% why not 100%?

I don't understand why anyone with any business sense would rather stick to their guns to take an extra 100 euros off a couple who are clearly not happy, that have spent over 3,000 euros, and apart from this situation would likely stay there again and recommend it to their friends?!

It is such a shame. The hotel is flawless, the facilities are fantastic - absolutely perfect for our 5 day mini-moon. The staff on the whole were very friendly. The food in the hotel is pretty average and overpriced. Please do check out the restaurants in town - cheaper and quite nice This isn't the best example of Italian food - but then you are in the middle of Tuscany.

Our perfect honeymoon ruined by this bad customer service. Please be careful to check what you are paying for!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
adlerthermae, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Adler Thermae Spa & Relax Resort, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Mr…
Thank you for your feedback.
We are very sorry the regarding your reservation and we apologize for the misunderstanding, especially considering it was your honeymoon.
It was a mistake of the receptionist that was responsible of your check-in. By mistake, she informed you your reservation was with dinner included actually was a B&B accommodation.
Considering we discovered the error just 4 days after your arrival, we thought it could be an equal solution to offer you a reduction of 50% on all the meals you had in our restaurant. We would be pleased if we could do something more to make you having a good memory of your stay in Tuscany. Please do not hesitate to contact us anytime for any question.
Kindest regards,
Anton Pichler

Been to Hotel Adler Thermae Spa & Relax Resort? Share your experiences!