In summary, the Hotel Adler is an impressive, spa complex with high end offerings, food, and service. There are a multitude of activities starting with the large spa with various pools and saunas, and also other activities including various biking and hiking trails. The food is extensive, generally wonderful, and varied (we opted for half board option). Service is generally helpful especially our waiter for dinner during our stay; they made us feel special on our Honeymoon. The hotel is also well located in southern Tuscany right off the highway and near wine producing areas (Montalcino, Montelpulciano) and other tourist destinations (such as Pienza). Few issues we encountered include terrible wifi service throughout the hotel, some "help" we requested at front desk was not helpful at all (elaborate below), they charge 5EUR for ice delivered to your room, and the room had a simple, bland decor and somewhat off putting odor. Also, note, there were many young children at this hotel which detracted from the relaxation of the stay.
We had extremely high expectations given the location and cost (very expensive) and the fact it was our honeymoon; the hotel is geared to a different crowd (older couples/anniversaries, European families), and did not have the level of relaxation and pampering expected. In hindsight, would have probably chosen something else. Despite the issues, still rating 5 star (although would probably characterize as 4.5 and some aspects were definitely lower).
The hotel is an impressive Tuscan spa/retreat in a beautiful part of the world. Hotel grounds are stunning and views of countryside are picturesque. Can easily spend the day at spa, lounging, and staring into the distance with a glass of wine in hand. The main thermal pool is the focal point of the grounds and it is fantastic. The other saunas and steam rooms are also well designed (including an adults only area which is needed to get away from the many children at the hotel). The fitness room is also noteworthy with varied, modern equipment.
The food offered is plentiful, varied, and fantastic. Highly recommend getting the half board option (buffet breakfast, afternoon cake, 5 course dinner) as dinners should not be missed. While the hotel focus on healthy living, it is easy to be gluttonous here. Breakfasts were the best hotel breakfasts we had in 2 weeks in Italy. However, we were there for 3 nights and it was definitely enough - by the end of the trip we were itching to eat somewhere else. There is also a bar/lounge in the main lobby, but after dinner it was deserted and somewhat depressing (musician did not help things).
Our room was large, simple and elegant, if a tad understated. We were upgraded due to our honeymoon and had a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath at the end of the hall on 2nd floor. May be a matter of taste but I didn't much care for the decor. At the very least, suggest they update the 80s style carpets. There was also a somewhat unpleasant odor in the room when we checked in. The best part of the room was the balcony offering beautiful views of the countryside as we were away from the main part of the complex.
Service is generally 5 star quality, especially our waiter at dinner (we sat at same table each night). They made us feel special on our honeymoon by providing a room upgrade and a bottle of Prosecco with strawberries at check in (wonderful!). The front desk staff act as concierges as well and there is mixed levels of helpfulness here. For example, they highly recommended we visit a specific vineyard on a Sunday, which ended up being closed on the weekends (this is something they should know). They also recommend a hiking trail which was washed away by recent rains. Finally, we asked for some ice delivered to our room, as there are no ice machines for guests; they charged us a 5EUR bar fee - in all my years of travel around the world, I have never heard of a hotel charging for ice.
Few other things to note, this is by no means a boutique experience and in some ways may lack the expected level of relaxation, as the complex is large with many other couples and surprisingly many children. This is most apparent at mealtime, as the dining room is one large venue but also in the main spa/pool area all day. In some ways, it felt like a high-end, cruise ship in the Tuscan hills. Also, the wifi is frustratingly spotty and slow. And the login system is ridiculously annoying as it constantly kicks you off and needs to be reset. One of the worst systems have ever encountered in any hotel (almost deducted a star just for this issue)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in a country house style, the resort boasts 1000 square meters of thermal and sports swimming pools, a sauna and steam bath area delimited by the walls of an old travertine quarry. Waters are piped and chilled, and maintain their beneficial and healing properties intact: they are used for packs, hydro massages and mud therapy. The range of aesthetic treatments is wide – from the classic beauty treatments to fitness programs with different intensities; from holistic techniques for the well-being of body and mind to thermal treatments. Ayurveda is the pride of the spa: besides custom massages, you can also be examined by professional Indian doctors who, after a long session, give advices on the best health tips and diet to reach a psycho-physical well-being.The cookery is in tune with the general atmosphere. Thanks to a mix of original recipes from the Tuscan tradition and well-balanced solutions, food at Adler is divine, healthy and tasty at the same time. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Escapio, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Adler Thermae Spa & Relax Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Adler Thermae Spa & Relax Hotel Bagno Vignoni
- Adler Thermae Spa And Relax Resort
- Adler Thermae Hotel
- Hotel Adler Thermae Spa & Relax Resort Bagno Vignoni, Italy - Tuscany