“Always excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
“Always excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We have eaten here once or more times a year for the past six years - since we discovered Bagno Vignoni. Giancarlo the Chef can be depended upon to serve consistently excellent dishes and Susan, the Matre d', always selects a great wine, modestly priced, to accompany lunch or dinner. It's a family restaurant in the traditional sense.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Megeve, France
“Big menu without quality!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Indeed a perfect menu! With big expectation from us! Unfortunately the quality was very very low!
"Antipasti toscani": directly taken out from cans (and I buy better things than the one served!) - Ravioli with truffles: they forgot to put the truffles in the stuffing!
Stracotto al Montalcino: done with corky red wine (incredible!!!)
Cantucci e vinsanto: very good!
Stay far from the place!

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Better places to eat, especially if you're English!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We were staying nearby and ate in Bagno Vignoli a couple of times. The first meal we had was at La Parata.

As other reviewers have already highlighted the chef is Italian and front of house is managed by his English wife. Maybe we just picked a bad day but our experience was that we were made to feel second class citizens by the lady of the house. For example, there is an english version of the menu on-line which I had looked at earlier in the day. So upon arrival I requested a copy of the same and was told (in a very sneering way) that the restaurant was in Italy and hence all the menus were in Italian. On the basis that the lady in question was English I enquired why they had a translated version on their website and NOT one in the actual restaurant itself? This appeared to a difficult question to answer so she reluctantly agreed to talk us thru the menu in English, albeit in about 30 seconds flat and then departed to spend ages fawning over an Italian group on a nearby table. Upon her return we ordered our food (based on what we could remember) and I asked for a suggestion as regards a suitable red wine. Again, this appeared to create a major problem and I got the distinct impression that I really should have ensured that I had made sure that I was familiar with every single vineyard in the Brunello region before I arrived! My experience at every other restaurant we ate at across Tuscany is that the (Italian) waiters took great pride and pleasure is displaying their knowledge of local wines and were delighted to offer a recommendation....not at La Parata!

The food was on the good side of OK, but we dined at La Terraza the following night and had a much better meal for around the same price and the service was 100% better.

So if you're English and enjoy being served by a surly, middle aged English woman wearing cut-off trousers and trainers (my kids would call this the 'chav' look) and you already possess a good grasp of both the Italian language and all the local vineyards, then this is the pace for you!

Otherwise my advice is steer clear and go to La Terraza.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rome, Italy
“Good restaurant but in Val D'Orcia there is better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

This restaurant is very very good, however, you have to value it in the context of Val D'Orcia where the quality of food is beyond belief, hence only 3 star rating. However, if you are in Bagno Vignoni and do not wish to take the car to eat, this restaurant offers good value for money. The service is very fast. 4 of us paid 70 euros for 4 dishes of pasta, 1 dish of vegetables, 4 sweets and a bottle of very good house wine.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Armidale
“Wish it was my local!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I loved going here, the menu was varied and the home made pastas were divine. Giancarlo is the inspiration in the kitchen and his English wife Susan works the restaurant. Great combination. The other staff are friendly and efficient. I was going to try some of the other restaurants but felt lured back to La Parata each time. I felt this restaurant was great value and I loved the feeling of being in a family restaurant but for me the draw is always the food and I wasn't disappointed. I stayed in their B&B just outside of town for 5 days and it was fantastic.

• Visited September 2011