“Good value for money.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palazzuolo

You added Hotel Palazzuolo to your Saves list
Hotel Palazzuolo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Santa Caterina 43, 53027 San Quirico d'Orcia, Italy   |
Hull
“Good value for money.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in early October 2011 as part of a walking group. I can say that the staff were all very friendly and helpful. I do not speak Italian but we had no problems with the staff. The young man behind the bar even remembered my pre dinner drink. Yes the furnishings are a little tired but the bathroom was superb and the cleanliness was good. The bed was comfortable. We had the annoyance of a neighbours dogs barking but how can you blame the hotel for it's neighbours pets? The swimming pool was cold but as the weather was very hot, it was very refreshing and no colder than swimming in the sea.We have no complaints regarding the food. You must remember that this is a budget priced hotel. If you want more, stay somewhere else and pay the price. I will stay at this hotel again when next in this area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Arrived hot (October was hot in Tuscany) and tired on 10/6/11 after 12 hours of hiking and bus riding needing a nap badly only to find the AC not working in our very hot room (interesting that a post on 9/10 indicated that the AC was also not working). When I asked the gentleman at the desk, he reported that it had been closed in October. When I asked that it be put back on he replied that it was impossible. There was no sign anywhere explaining that.the AC was turned off nor was there any prior warning that it would be turned off in October.. The hotel "Welcome Booklet" proudly claims: "Air conditioning: All our bedrooms are equipped with an individual thermostat in-room control system" and a similar statement can be found on the web site. Don't believe it. How about some truth in advertising here? So, despite my allergies (AC would have helped) we opened the door to our balcony (no windows) to let some air into the suffocating room and tried to take our nap. Not meant to be. We were kept up by a pack of dogs in a farm house across from the pool that barked loudly all night and the next day. If we had the drone of an AC, we might have been able to catch some zzzz's even though the walls are paper thin and one can hear your neighbor's sneezing and talking and heaven knows what else if they are up to it. Add to this that our towels were not changed from the previous day (we had to request fresh ones), the hotel is far from Siena, the rooms had no room safes, they supplied no tissues ("We don't have them here," the lady at the desk replied), the dinner we had in the restaurant was very poor and the breakfasts were not much better, the pool was too cold, and the toilet paper supply was not replenished -- we ran out. This hotel management is cutting back on toilet paper too -- too much!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

I stayed at this hotel in the spring and was very disappointed, as reflected in my review of June 16, 2011. I appeared to be the 6th person to review this hotel since 2006. The posts were "very mixed". Since June of this year there has been a plethora of posts for this hotel, many of them in Italian and most of them highly complimentary. It is surely very unusual for a hotel that has averaged just over one review a year to suddenly get so many in just three months!

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Logan, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Great pool, nice restaurant, friendly service and a great deal to boot.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Good place for a family holiday. Good ambience and service. Staff very friendly and hospitable. Looking forward for my next holidays.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Ferrara, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

I have been a few times in this hotel over the years for work purposes and I can say it has improuved dramatically this year. The bathrooms are now tip top(completely refurbished) and up to 3 plus star standard and they finally got rid of those awful 4:3 tv 's and replace them with proper flat HD screens . I can honestly say the food was wonderful considering it was a set menu ! Many 3 star hotels in Italy have restaurants with this option and I can guarantee it's not always very good (awful in some cases!) but in the Palazzuolo no complaints ! Plus it has a super pool ( but cold when I was there!) and you certainly can 't beat the view from your room overlooking the valley to Montalcino .

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

The only downside of an otherwise wonderful holiday in Italy was the week I spent at this hotel with an organised walking group. (The walking was wonderful)! The bedroom was adequate although the bedding - including a rather unpleasant brown blanket - had seen better days, and the bathroom was very good. That is the end of the good news. Breakfast was just about adequate but the one type of cheese and ham on offer was very "plastic" and cheap. Apparently some tepid brown liquid in thermos flasks was coffee. Dinner was worse and reminded me of a works canteen meal. The restaurant was charmless, there was no choice whatsoever and five poorly cooked courses were doled out onto the plate infront of me. Infact there was a choice, one spoonful or two. I stuck with one. After dinner coffee was another thermos flask of tepid brown liquid. The owner of the hotel had the same lack of charm as her restaurant and her deputy was equally surly and uncommunicative. One evening I had to ask for another bar of soap at reception. The owner gave me one. The next night I found that whoever had cleaned my room had still not left me with a new bar. I went again to reception. This time the owner reacted to my request by saying "but you've got soap!" Although our group was full-board I actually ate dinner out on three of the seven nights and several times went into town in the morning to have an expresso and patisserie. Why go to Italy and not be able to enjoy some decent food - and coffee - even if it did cost me extra. I felt - and of course this is my personal opinion - that the owner of the hotel was trying to get away with cutting corners where possible and benefitted from the fact that most guests were on organised walking and cycling tours and she was therefore not directly responsible for complaints. Several other small clues reinforced this impression. Although the television in my room had CNN news it did not have BBC news. This was the third, 3-star hotel I stayed in during my trip and the only one where this ws the case. There were also no tissues in the bathroom and a mishmash of cheap wire and plastic hangers in the cupboard. Lastly, in the carpark at the rear of the hotel, ws an overturned and overflowing dustbin that stayed like that during the entire week and a pile of plastic chairs and some rusting bits of furniture. It is obvious from my review that I would not recommend this hotel to anyone especially if one looks forward to enjoying some good Italian food and a pleasant atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Palazzuolo? Share your experiences!