“Location, location, location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casanova Hotel Residence

You added Casanova Hotel Residence to your Saves list
Casanova Hotel Residence
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   S.S. 146 Localita Casanova, 53027 San Quirico d'Orcia, Italy   |
Douglas, United Kingdom
“Location, location, location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

This was our second stay having been introduced to this hotel on a group photographic workshop trip. We booked a Junior Suite confort room. This has an upstairs mezzanine with large bed, very comfortable.Actually 2 single mattresses on one base. Massses of towels, dedicated pool towels. Depending on what tariff you pay sometimes are an extra charge of 10 euros, for a pair.The bathroom was very adequate, clean with a great power shower/ body spray cubicle. Ground floor lounge had small kitchen area , this was convenient for making snacks. Again depending on tariff, cooking facilities could be inclusive or extra. There was an extra bed/ sofa in the lounge. The rooms are motel style, seperate units , on ground floor, with small terrace , table, outside chairs, & sun brolly. The public reception area has nice airy lounges on 2 levels with a small bar, that I never saw anybody using it. Breakfast is continental, no eggs, but a good selection of pastries, croissants, & cold meat.This room has no windows & is not pleasing, you culdn't take your breakfast out from this room.The outdoor pool has masses of free sun loungers & was warm. There is a super vista from the rear of the hotel in this area. The hotel also has an indoor pool , plus beauty therapy " spa " area. Use of indoor pool may be inclusive, or extra depending again on your tariff.The hotel is about 750 yds from the old town of San Quirico d'Orcia, which is a gem. Lovely restuarants here & shops.We ate out every night in a week stay & although the hotel has an adjacent taverna we liked the stroll into the town to soak up the evening ambiance.In summary, the best bit about the hotel is it's location. It appeals to photographers & many Italians. If went again, I wouldn't opt for bed & breakfast as I would prefer to self cater for breakfast & eat it outside my room on the terrace.Very friendly staff, also Wi-Fi ( 5 Euros per stay ), no hotel internet public terminal. Difficult to set up Wi-Fi but staff incredibably helpful.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
québec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

It was late, and had previously stopped at another hotel, not sure of the name, but it was bad....we found the Casanova Hotel Residece. Last minute and the receptionist was fantastic! She gave us a good price, 110,00 euro for the night,(low season) and just looking at the lobby, didn't have to go visit the room. It was perfect for us, would have liked to stay longer. Big room, for tuscany, Therapeutic bath, bathroom amenitites and nice creams, this is a Spa...with a nice big terrace with a great view in the morning.

The restaurant next door was closed, it was appr 9h30pm. The young lady tried to get us some food from there, but to no avail...Nice try though, thank you..However, we told her we'd dine on our wine in the room. She offers to bring us wine glasses. But when she shows up, she put together this great little plate with cold cuts, cheeses and breads. Wow, that is service.

Here are pictures of the room.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Guildford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

This hotel is in a great location for touring around southern Tuscany. The rooms are large and quite plainly furnished and the atmosphere is comfortable. There's a good pool and small bar.

The best part of the stay for me was the helpful staff.

• Stayed May 2009
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

We stayed at the Casanova Hotel for about a week in October 2008. We had a suite which overlooked the little valley and had an excellent view of the Belvedere. Sadly, this and the fact that the internet only cost EUR 5 for a week, was the only good part of our stay.

Check in was easy. It was a fair hike to the room but I think the hotel is a combination of an older building and a newer part. There were lots of tiled ramps on the way to the room (which they seemed to mop every morning and make quite slippery around breakfast time) so pretty easy to get suitcases around.

There was no air-conditioning as it had been turned off due to the season not the actual weather. It was hot in the room at night so we had to leave the windows and balcony door open. There were shutters so we could keep the light out but no screens so we had a few flies and other bugs come in. Not too bad though. We had some chairs and a table on our balcony when we first arrived that were arbitrarily taken away mid-stay.

The room opened with a key card that made a very loud buzzing noise as it unlocked. It also automatically turned on the lights in the room. This might be convenient at times (not the buzzing noise, but the lights), but not so when you are trying to come quietly back in at 1.30am and others are asleep in the room.

The outside pool was closed (despite the hotel’s material saying it was open to the end of October) for “weather reasons”. I was later told that they only had the contract with someone to keep it open til the end of September. There is an internal pool which is part of the “wellness” centre and it costs 10 EUR for an adult and 5 EUR for a child per day. Pretty expensive for a small pool that at times was very busy.

The internet was wireless and cheap at 5 EUR for a week but is only accessible in public areas. It worked fine.

The hotel offers breakfast and it’s just bland. There is a pile of cakes, pastries and bread (but a very poor toaster), four cereals, one type of ham, cheese, salami, yoghurt and some tinned fruit. Sounds like a lot to choose from but it wasn’t.

We had some afternoon tea one afternoon. The menu is wide enough and pretty cheap (e.g. 1 EUR for an espresso). We got a basket of chips/crisps and they were stale. We later saw that the baskets of crisps were put out early in the afternoon and just left to sit there.

There is also a restaurant attached to the hotel called the Barbarossa. We ate there one night and the food was terrible. The service was ok but the meat was overcooked and poor cuts to begin with. Each main meal came out with a pile of overboiled green beans and they were cold. There are so many better options in town – it’s a 5-10 minute walk and we would strongly recommend that you avoid the hotel restaurant and head into town. Take a torch as it can be a bit dark. We ate at the Trattoria al Vecchio Forno four times and it was just fantastic. The service there was terrific and the food delicious.

The staff were generally uninterested, and one reception staff member was pretty snippy. The women who worked in the breakfast area were nice and helpful. When we first arrived, we went up to reception to get the code for the internet. The reception staff member took a call in the middle of getting me the code and then talked for 15 minutes while I waited! Just plain rude.

I swung between giving this place a 1 or a 2 rating. In the end, I settled on a 2 as our room did have a great view of the Belvedere and the hotel itself was in easy walking distance of some great views and the town of San Quirico. But I wouldn’t stay here again and wouldn’t recommend it to others. There are other options in town that I would try.

• Stayed October 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Norfolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for a week with Page & Moy from 4th October on their Taste of Tuscany holiday.
The one saving grace was that we specified a room upgrade when booking, finishing up with probably the best room in the hotel, south facing looking over the rolling hills with a large balcony to sit on and take in the sunshine and views.
Looking in at some of the others as we passed they appeared cramped, dingy and with no views.
The hotel has no restaurant, apart from a breakfast room, so meals have to be taken at the adjacent restaurant 50 yards away.
The breakfast is very plain and simple, tinned fruit, youghurt, rolls, croissants etc. OK but nothing to get excited over.
The adjacent restaurant again was very simple and basic. same starters every night followed by a pasta dish and then a meat course (but with no veg. or potatoes!!) followed by sweet.
The worst thing about the hotel was the bar prices, 4 euro 50cents for a 330ml bottle of beer that you could get at the local shop for 1 euro 15 cents for a 660ml bottle!
Also there was no English TV channel available, only CNN, and no internet availability unless you had brought your own laptop!!
I suppose at a place like this you are held to ransome as there is very little competition but we would be hard pressed to return, a pity as it could have been so much better

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Prices
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Berkshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

I've stayed here a quite a few times since 1996 since when the hotel has grown a lot, and is now a sprawl of rooms at varying standards and prices clustered near a pool and other leisure/wellness facilities. I've always found it a perfectly satisfactory base and its good to start my days by photographing the Tuscany mists from the grounds of my hotel- something which possibly can't be done so well elsewhere. The breakfast buffet is satisfactory and has certainly improved over the years. I recall that some of the older rooms are fitted with very small showers to the extent that dropping the soap is an issue! The hotel is popular with photographic groups - for obvious reasons- and these are often critical of the "in -house " restaurant next door. My personal experience is that eating a la carte makes a big difference and I tend to alternate between the convenience of this and a couple of places in Pienza (9km).

For what is now quite a large hotel I can't understand why the bar is so often empty ( and unstaffed) and in truth the main building is a pretty quiet place at night when I've been there- largely in April/May.

But for me I come to the Casanova because of where it is , at least as much as for what it is. Getting around the "Crete" is easier from this base than from any other of similar quality IMO. I'm sure I'll go back.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

I was ambivilant about "spilling the beans" on a gem of a hotel as I didn't was to spread the word for fear I'd never get a reservation but decided to give something back to this website as I've gotten so much myself. I was part of a photo tour that used the hotel as a base of operations for 1 week in mid May.The most outstanding feature of our stay was the location of the somewhat plainly built and decorated units. It is the heart of Tuscany, within walking distance of the walled village of San Quirico d'Orcia. When we arried we realized we were not the only tour group there who found the hotel. Others realized its value (financially as well as geographically) too. Altough there were three tours staying, (two photo tours and a watercolor group) you never felt cramped as folks were busy doing there thing outside and never in your way. You are minutes away from other georgous, medieval villages and cities. There are landscapes within walking distance that appear regularly on commercial postcards and posters. Breathtaking. The staff who were multilingual, was friendly, helpful and eager to assist. I was especially pleased when the night manager realized many of our group members were out to shoot landscapes at 4:30 or 5:00 (AM) and asked us if we would like coffee to be served before we went on our way! The breakfasts, served European buffet style, sufficed. There is an upscale restaurant on the premises (I didn't have a meal there opting instead to dine at various very good outdoor cafes and restaurants in the village of San Quirico d.Orcia). Others in my group gave the onsite dining very mixed reviews, all agreed it was expensive. The outdoor pool is another advantage. It overlooks wonderful scenes, is very well maintained and very inviting. The guests at the time of my stay were from Britian and the continent , our group rounding out with Americans. All were respectful of each other so I will be happy to bring my family next time. The hotel also boasts of a Wellness Center with indoor pool and spa, but I never saw it in use during my stay. Perhaps it was off season? I will be returning next year and plan on making my reservation now.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Casanova Hotel Residence? Share your experiences!