“A decent hotel in a glorious location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casanova Hotel Residence

Save Saved
You added Casanova Hotel Residence to your Saves list
Casanova Hotel Residence
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   S.S. 146 Localita Casanova, 53027 San Quirico d'Orcia, Italy   |
Berkshire, UK
“A decent hotel in a glorious location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

I've stayed here a quite a few times since 1996 since when the hotel has grown a lot, and is now a sprawl of rooms at varying standards and prices clustered near a pool and other leisure/wellness facilities. I've always found it a perfectly satisfactory base and its good to start my days by photographing the Tuscany mists from the grounds of my hotel- something which possibly can't be done so well elsewhere. The breakfast buffet is satisfactory and has certainly improved over the years. I recall that some of the older rooms are fitted with very small showers to the extent that dropping the soap is an issue! The hotel is popular with photographic groups - for obvious reasons- and these are often critical of the "in -house " restaurant next door. My personal experience is that eating a la carte makes a big difference and I tend to alternate between the convenience of this and a couple of places in Pienza (9km).

For what is now quite a large hotel I can't understand why the bar is so often empty ( and unstaffed) and in truth the main building is a pretty quiet place at night when I've been there- largely in April/May.

But for me I come to the Casanova because of where it is , at least as much as for what it is. Getting around the "Crete" is easier from this base than from any other of similar quality IMO. I'm sure I'll go back.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

I was ambivilant about "spilling the beans" on a gem of a hotel as I didn't was to spread the word for fear I'd never get a reservation but decided to give something back to this website as I've gotten so much myself. I was part of a photo tour that used the hotel as a base of operations for 1 week in mid May.The most outstanding feature of our stay was the location of the somewhat plainly built and decorated units. It is the heart of Tuscany, within walking distance of the walled village of San Quirico d'Orcia. When we arried we realized we were not the only tour group there who found the hotel. Others realized its value (financially as well as geographically) too. Altough there were three tours staying, (two photo tours and a watercolor group) you never felt cramped as folks were busy doing there thing outside and never in your way. You are minutes away from other georgous, medieval villages and cities. There are landscapes within walking distance that appear regularly on commercial postcards and posters. Breathtaking. The staff who were multilingual, was friendly, helpful and eager to assist. I was especially pleased when the night manager realized many of our group members were out to shoot landscapes at 4:30 or 5:00 (AM) and asked us if we would like coffee to be served before we went on our way! The breakfasts, served European buffet style, sufficed. There is an upscale restaurant on the premises (I didn't have a meal there opting instead to dine at various very good outdoor cafes and restaurants in the village of San Quirico d.Orcia). Others in my group gave the onsite dining very mixed reviews, all agreed it was expensive. The outdoor pool is another advantage. It overlooks wonderful scenes, is very well maintained and very inviting. The guests at the time of my stay were from Britian and the continent , our group rounding out with Americans. All were respectful of each other so I will be happy to bring my family next time. The hotel also boasts of a Wellness Center with indoor pool and spa, but I never saw it in use during my stay. Perhaps it was off season? I will be returning next year and plan on making my reservation now.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DUDLEY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2007

Wonderful location right next to a medieval walled village although it may be a little quiet for some. Nightlife revolves around dinner in the hotel or preferably at a restaurant in the village. The menu in the hotel is very limited although breakfast is quite adequate. Rooms are to a high standard especially the superior rooms. A car is an absolute must for those not on an escorted tour.

• Liked — LOCATION
  • Disliked — DINNER MENU
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Casanova Hotel Residence? Share your experiences!