“Fabulous!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palazzo del Capitano Exclusive Wellness & Relais

You added Hotel Palazzo del Capitano Exclusive Wellness & Relais to your Saves list
Hotel Palazzo del Capitano Exclusive Wellness & Relais
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Poliziano 18 | San Quirico d'Orcia - Bagno Vignoni, 53027 San Quirico d'Orcia, Italy   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
NYC, NY
“Fabulous!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

WE LOVED this hotel! This was our 6th hotel on our honeymoon and what a lovely place!! It was quaint, very clean, quite, a decent price and had a great breakfast! What more could you want? They heard it was our honeymoon and upgraded us for free to a BEAUTIFUL suite! All of there rooms come with fabulous products that I just loved! We went across to the shop where they sell them and spent a pretty penny. The products rival any high - end luxury brand I would buy in NYC where we live. The staff was nice and our dinner was fabulous. We ate at the restaurant that they own behind the hotel. It has gotten some good ratings so we decided to try it. Im glad we did! The food was really great! Negatives: there is no elevator and getting our bags up the room was quite a challege. They don’t have helpers to do this for you. We were in luck that the owner was there that day and he helped us with the bags. Its very quite there at night. It’s a small village with no nightlife (which we found a great break from our busy lives). We would 100% stay at this hotel again!!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

We spent three nights at the Palazzo del Capitano, which is located in a small village, which is somewhat of a distance from shopping, wineries, and a good selection of restaurants. We choose one of the more expensive suites. It had an upstairs - where the bedroom was located - and a downstairs - which had a very small seating area. The stairs to the bedroom upstairs were quite steep, even if you are in shape. The room was nice, but fell below our expectations, as did the property at large.

There were several problems with the room, including the disturbing fact that the air conditioning unit did not function and a bird found its way into our room. Housekeeping was ok. Spa treatments in an adjacent building are expensive. The breakfast was adequate but without any selection of cooked to order items. Front desk staff, however, were excellent.

If you are seeking a real getaway in Tuscany there are clearly better alternatives at this price point, and so I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

Beware, the Palazzo del Capitano takes advantage of travelers when they have the opportunity.

I missed my first night of a three day stay this past Sept 2009. I was charged $750 for the full three night stay even though I could have made it to the hotel the last two nights. I was told they had re-booked my room to someone else the last two nights even though I responded within 18 hours to their email asking where I was. As is appropriate in every county I’ve traveled, I expected a credit for the last two nights since I could have made it and they had no empty rooms.

They said no way!

I wasted hours of my 30 year wedding anniversary trip wrestling with them and contesting their fee on my Master Charge. They pocketed my money as well as the money from the party they booked my room to.

Amazing isn’t it. Stay away from this hotel. They will take advantage of you if you inadvertently give them the chance. They are not the travel partners you are looking for.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Scranton, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

My husband and I felt like we went back in time when we spent 3 spectacular nights in the charming hotel. Upon check-in the staff put us in a room with no view, but we were able to switch to a room with the most fabulous view overlooking the gardens. We ate dinner in the hotel resturaunt that we by far one of the best meals we had eaten all week. The breakfasts every morning we wonderful with pleanty of items to choose from. The walled city that the hotel was set in was so charming !!! We enjoyed alot of quiet, romantic time here!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

What a fabulous stay we had at this hotel. It was a bit of a challenge to find the place but we were rewarded with a pleasantly quiet four-night stay. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the outside patio and garden area is extremely relaxing. We used this location as a base for exploring southern Tuscany by car and it was very convenient to get to other villages and wineries within 30 minutes or so. The village itself is small but has a several excellent restaurants one of which is affiliated with the hotel. We found the breakfast to be the best we sampled. Very generous portions of baked goods, meats and cheeses, fresh fruits and cereals, and excellent cappucino.

Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

My Husband & I just spent 3 nights at the Palazzo del Capitano. It is a lovely hotel in a historic building with a lovely garden. It has been excellently renovated and beautifully decorated. The rooms are charming and spotless. The bathrooms looked new had great shower heads! We paid extra for a suite superior.
****I would recommend this hotel highly WITH ONE CAVEAT: the is no elevator and most rooms are up 3 flights of stairs. In our room there was also a flight of stairs between the bedroom and bathroom. This was very difficult for me as I have replaced knees & hips. The day staff was totally not helpful,rude and actually yelled at me . The desk clerk insisted there were no other rooms available, when an hour later a group of about 8 couples checked in.
If you are physically fit, I recommend this hotel as it really is lovely. If stairs are at all an issue for you, go elsewhere or in your communications with the hotel insist on one of the few rooms on the first level and hope that they give it to you.

Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

We spent 4 nights in this hotel in May. We chose San Quirico as a base for touring the Val D'Orcia and this hotel because it is in the Michelin red guide and because of other reviews. The hotel is an old palazzo and has some beautiful features which include the vaulted breakfast room and the garden. However there are no lifts and as our room was on the top floor there was quite a bit of climbing to do.We booked a superior double room.Apparently there are 3 of this category in the hotel. Two overlook the garden the other the street. As our luck would have it we got the room overlooking the street or rather the roof of the house opposite. While the room was nice enough there was no view,the wardrobe was a period piece which was impracticable and the bathroom while well equipped had no room to leave anything down.We had to leave our soap bags in the bedroom. While the street outside was quiet during the night apart from the ringing of the 2 different church bells, delivery vans etc could be noisy from 7 onwards. If you are considering staying here get a room overlooking the garden and take into account that there are no lifts.
The garden is a lovely quiet spot where were able to relax after a day touring.
Breakfasts were very good with a wide selection which would suit anyone-one small niggle.When you order a caffe latte you are served a cup of coffee not a jug of coffee and a jug of hot milk which is common all over Italy and France. It seem to me llike a bit of 'penny pinching'.
The staff were very friendly and helpful though,unlike a previous reviewer, we did not find the owner all that friendly. When we arrived he was in the lobby but did not greet us.He runs the hotel efficiently but lacks friendliness .
San Quirco itself has not much to offer to the tourist. The hotel restaurant is by far the best in the town .We dined there twice and enjoyed the meal though we felt that the portions were very measured and the prices high. We also eat at il Tinao which we would not recommend..
We enjoyed our time in the Val d'Orcia .For me the highlights were the monastery of Sant Antimo, Bagno Vignioni and Pienza. We took our bathing costumes with us to experience the hot springs at Bagni San Filippo. It is a bit of a scramble to get to the public spring but well worth it(on the right just as you come into the village)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Palazzo del Capitano Exclusive Wellness & Relais? Share your experiences!