My husband and I travel worldwide and we are not ones to contribute reviews, but our stay at La Suvera was so shocking that I could not withhold myself from sharing our experience.
Unless one rents a suite, the historical property is NOT open to hotel guests. There is the 'museum', obviously the private quarters of the owner, which one can visit as a 'museum visitor'.
No hotel has ever made us feel so unwelcome. At check-in, there is no token of welcome: one is greeted by this sickly smell of years old lavender topped up daily by lavender oil, but there are no fresh flowers in the room, no small box of chocolates, not welcome card, no bottle of Prosecco, no complementary water.
The restaurant nor the bar does not bother to dress tables on the outside terrace despite it being a very pleasent 26 degrees Celcius.
Do not be fooled, unless you rent the papal suite, the hotel and its grounds DO NOT have views of the surrounding Tuscan hills. The owner keeps the views from his first and second loggia balconies to himself! In fact, everything in this hotel is designed to keep the hotel guests out of the way of the owner: the restaurant and the reception are outside the main gates, the pool cannot be used after dark for it has no pool lights, the garden furniture has no cushions. The garden and grounds are poorly maintained.
The rooms are supposed to be shabby chic but one can leave the 'chic' part out: visible electrics, broken tiles, poorly fitted showers, tiny bath only suitable for an 8 year old child, tiny and dirty dressing room, with a ceiling too low for my husband, and a TV screen the size of a portable computer. The room was so stuffed with brocante furniture that we could hardly move around. Sky TV was pay only!
The staff definitely have an attitude. The food in the restaurant is mediocre, the wine-list is very short, and some of the porcelain was chipped!
The spa facilities are of very poor quality, plastic prefab showers, no marble in sight anywhere. It felt dirty.
Overall things have been done on the cheap and the whole place desperately needs a refurbishment. It is looking very tired indeed.
There is NO investment in this hotel, there are a few Italian staff, 'padded out' by short-term interns trying to learn the ropes of the hotel business. The only time that a shimmer of 5 stars comes through is at breakfast, which is very opulent indeed, but nothing out of the ordinary with what should expect of a 5 star hotel. Apart from that, in our humble opinion, this hotel deserves no better that 3 stars. My husband and I are both absolutely puzzled by all these people who seem to think that this is a wonderful place????
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situato tra le dolci colline della Toscana, il Relais La Suvera offre un servizio di primissima qualità e un'esperienza unica in una straordinaria dimora storica a soli 30 minuti da Siena. Le 36 camere sono arredate con mobili d’epoca, garantendo al contempo i più moderni comfort e si trovano in tre diversi edifici, la Villa Papale, le Scuderie e la Fattoria, circondati da bellissimi giardini storici.Per il comfort dei suoi ospiti il Relais La Suvera mette a disposizione la piscina riscaldata con acqua mantenuta a temperatura costante di 25°C e la Spa con vasca idromassaggio ricavata da un'antica cisterna medioevale, bagno turco e zona fitness. Nestled among the rolling hills of Tuscany, Relais La Suvera offers you award winning service and a luxury experience in an extraordinary historical residence, a 30 minutes drive from Siena.The 36 rooms & suites are located in 3 different buildings, the Papal Villa, the Ancient Stables and the Farmhouse and are decorated with antique furnishings, combining history with all the modern comforts. For the comfort of Relais La Suvera’s guests the swimming pool is kept at a constant temperature of 25°C (77°F) and the Spa offers an array of massages and treatments, steam bath, fitness area and a Jacuzzi in the medieval cistern. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Splendia, Priceline, Venere and Odigeo so you can book your Relais La Suvera reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Relais La Suvera Pievescola
- Relais La Suvera Hotel Pievescola
- Relais La Suvera Italy/Pievescola, Tuscany