“Epic Adventure Hike - in Beautiful New Zealand” 5 of 5 stars

Milford Track Guided Day Walk from Te Anau
Type: Mountains, Hiking Trails, Outdoors
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Believed to be one of the most scenic walking routes in the world, this trail is in the heart of Fiordland National Park.
Temecula, California
12 attraction reviews
“Epic Adventure Hike - in Beautiful New Zealand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had heard that New Zealand was beautiful - and were not disappointed! The Milford Track with Ultimate Hikes was a great way to see the remote area between Queenstown and Milford Sound. Ultimate Hikes provides comfortable rooms and plenty of food, so you do not need to pack much. We stayed in a private room, but the shared rooms seemed comfortable as well. I was worried about the weather and hoped it would not rain - but it did - on and off - and it actually didn't matter much. While the hike is somewhat challenging, there is plenty of time to reach each daily destination - and it was not too difficult. I had not trained much - and was able to enjoy each day - though I might have enjoyed it a bit more if I had trained! You can wash and dry your clothes at night in their drying rooms, so one change of clothes for day and one for night is actually enough. We loved the whole experience, the staff, other hikers from around the world, stunning views. Highly recommended!

Visited February 2012

Singapore, Singapore
7 attraction reviews
“Nature Always Inspires”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

After doing Routeburn Track (3D2N) in Dec 2007, decided to do the renowned Milford Track (4D3N) last month. I was blessed with good weather, and enjoyed remarkable and inspiring scenic views everyday except the last day where it drizzled the whole day long as me and my wife walked the last leg of the track out to sandfly point.

There are many Great Walks in New Zealand, and Milford Track is known as the finest walk of them all.

Nevertheless, the highlight is at the highest point, the Mackinnon Pass. I arrived at the second hut before 3:00pm, and took the advice to leave my packs at the hut and go up to Mackinnon pass to have a look. I didn't realise my blessing then, but the next day was so cloudy that nobody can see any views when we cross over the Mackinnon pass on the way to the third hut.

We did the track as an independent walker, so we had to carry all our food and utensils ourselves. The huts provided water and gas for cooking, and a bed and mattress to sleep in, and of course shelter from the wind and sandflies. This is a really sought after track, so you will need to pay attention on when the online booking starts, and book the track (and huts) as soon as possible.

Sadly, Sutherland Falls side track is closed due to rock fall. Probably a while before they are comfortable that no more rocks are going to fall and they reopen it again .

The track ends at Milford Sound, where you can complete your journey with a cruise of Milford Sound. I have already taken the cruise in an earlier trip, so I skipped it this time round. It was drizzling and very cloudy anyway,

Personally, I liked the Routeburn track better though, which is mostly at a higher altitude, and two big lakes. The Milford track follows the river, and you get to see more of the different vegetation, waterfalls and the river.

Visited December 2012
Palmerston North
4 attraction reviews
“Milford Track with Ultimate Hikes - the ultimate !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We did the Milford with Ultiimate Hikes 17-23 December 2012 and it was incredible! Superb scenery of course, and we were lucky with the weather. For us, Ultimate Hikes was definitely worth the extra - the guides were knowledgeable, supportive, caring and enthusiastic, and at the end of each day we had a hot shower and a superb dinner, facilities for hand laundry and great drying rooms, and comfy beds (we also took the private room option which guaranteed a peaceful night's sleep). We were lucky enough to do a special trip with Ruud ("the Bug Man") Kleinpaste as well as our fantastic four guides (for a party of 45) Shaun, Phoebe, Constance and Marco, who did extras like carry thermos of hot drinks to the top of the Pass, and even treated any blisters or other problems during the evening "foot love" session, ready for the next day's exertions. Check out the Ultimate Hikes website - everything they say is spot on.

Visited December 2012
Madrid, Spain
4 attraction reviews
“Best trek ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This has been probably the best trek I´ve ever done.

It is fiscally challenging, but technically easy, you have probably have seen tons of pictures and I don't really have to tell you how amazing this place is, but I can share a couple tips and also say that sharing this experience also with another 40 people in huts it really something you shouldn't miss, you get to know different nationalities and folks that love adventure and hiking.

Some tips:
-Don't go if you hate to get wet, it rains more than 200 days here, if it didn't rain you wouldn't see so many waterfalls and green.
-Dot carry too much weight, specially water. I always do, and I can tell you that its not that necessary in this trek there is water everywhere and using some tablets for water treatment you can get water almost along the four days.
-Relax and enjoy the trek, there is plenty of time specially if you wake up early.
-Carry with you good rain gear, over boots are handy as well as packing everything in rainproof bags.
-Don't forget your camera, I just cant help it and I always carry with me my heavy Mark II but for me its worth it.
-Some people like to use what they call "wet gear" daily and basically wear their wet stuff everyday and use the dry for the night. I´m from Spain and I like to stay dry daily(its cultural what can I say) , this obviously leads to a heavy backpack..
-Food: Don't take too much weight with you , Ive seen people taking bottles of wine and cristal jars with them, for me is not the best practice. We took dehydrated food. A good tip is to bring some fresh foo for the first two days and the use the dehydrated for the rest. Remember you have to take all your garbage with you.
-You don't have to be an expert mountaineer but be aware that this is phisically challenging and its not a hike in the park, you will have to walk for four days and with all your gear in the back. The third day is the steepest but nothing technical.

Ive seem some comments about this being expensive, I don't see it as such taking into account all the transport and huts.
Also and to be fair I have to say that we had amazing weather as we only got wet two out of four days. I believe the 2nd and the 3rd day are the worst ones to have bad weather, the 2nd because you have places that can get flooded and that were you get really wet, sometimes up to the waist. And the third because of the great views in Mackinnon Pass.

Just to end up, I will share that I twisted my ankle in the third day going down which is probably the worst place to get injured and even so it was the best trek I´ve ever done and one of the most amazing experiences in my life. Everyone that I meet was willing to take with from me and helping me out, that was really touching. Good thing my wife is a physiotherapist :)

This leads me to the last tip: Don't use your poles in the stairs or bridges, they have holes in them and sticking your pole in one of them can lead to a twisted ankle.

Visited March 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
18 attraction reviews
“A highlight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband and I hiked the Milford Track at the end of January 2012. We (he) booked this as soon as the date opened in summer 2011- it's that popular- and worth it. We hiked with the independent walkers, and really liked the sense of camaraderie formed by the group of 40 in a very short time. I compare my sense of accomplishment after completing it to running a marathon. We are of average-above average fitness and found it challenging, specifically the 6 miles of downhill after the summit on day 3, but you are not going to get lost and the flush toilets/beds at the end of the day are really appreciated. We did not do the other walks in the area- Routeburn, etc. I would follow other lists of suggested things to pack (in drybags/ziplocks), and nothing more (no, not your two cameras like us.).

Visited January 2012