“Another lovely stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buttermere
West Yorkshire
“Another lovely stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Another delightful stay at The Bridge. A special mention to Ray who very kindly allowed us to alter the date of our booking as we had a close family bereavement the week before we were due to stay. As we had paid in advance, he kept in touch via email until we felt ready for our break, and made it easy for us to re-book when it suited us. Thank you Ray, your kindness was appreciated.

Food was exquisite, and service pleasant and professional as always. A very friendly local hotel, where nothing is too much trouble. We stayed in Room 22 which has a small balcony overlooking the car park and was pristine in its cleanliness and décor. A welcome break from the hustle and bustle of ‘normal’ life.
Thank you all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Ilevidoll
Thank you for a very positive review of your recent stay with us. I am just sorry for your loss before you were able to join us and rest assured we will always try to accommodate a move of the nature yours was.

We are extremely proud of the standards our housekeeping team maintain and I am delighted you noted this on your review. They work extremely hard for us and I will ensure they receive a copy of your review.

We will hopefully be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Steven Langley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights whilst ticking off Wainwrights. Great location, great views along with friendly staff who made the stay very relaxing. Breakfast high quality which set up day perfectly, staff made good packed lunches and on return good food and selection of beers refreshed tired limbs. Rooms clean with enough space for walking gear and luggage to be stored. Definitely recommend and will return.

• Stayed July 2013
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Cheshire-Trekker

Congratulations on your "ticking off" of the Wainwrights. - You must let us know if you manage to complete this mammoth task!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and you certainly seem to have absorbed all it is we pride ourselves on.

We truly look forward to welcoming you back - Treat yourself to one of our "Muddy Boots" promotions throughout the winter and enjoy the majesty of the Lakes in all their splendor.

Steven
Henton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Apartment was comfortable, well-furnished and pleasantly situated 15 minutes walk from Buttermere Lake. The kitchen was fully equipped and a TV with satellite box and DVD player provided.
The only significant problem was the apparent use of the TV by staff when we were out. The manager attempted to explain that the problem was due to technical causes, not staff. I showed that his explanation was flawed, but he did not respond.
It was a pity that our otherwise excellent stay was marred by the TV problem, which was unsatisfactorily handled by he manager.

• Liked — Scenic location near to lake
  • Disliked — Unsatisfactory management relating to the TV problem.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
********* Copy of email as sent to guest ******************************
Dear ****,
Firstly may I thank you for taking some time this morning to discuss your concerns in relation to your stay. It is always much more productive to speak with someone face to face and I do appreciate you doing this.
I am delighted to say (as much for my peace of mind as yours) that having investigated fully the situation of the T.V/ Satellite and Scart in your apartment I am confidently in a position to comment as follows:
The DVD player (xentia) that you mention is in a serial loop with the Freesat box and then another serial loop to the TV. This would mean that even if the FreeSat box is defaulted to 101 as it does; the scart system in the Xentia DVD player will override it and set it to the channel LAST USED on the Xentia system. (This was as you say set on 234, not the most pleasant of channels.)
Because of this I am confident that having spoken to my Housekeeping team today that none of them has entered your apartment at all during your stay. It is House policy that unless requested the apartments are Saturday to Saturday and not entered during these times. The access to our Master keys is very closely controlled by a signing in process so I am also confident that no one else has had access to this apartment. As I said to you earlier, I have great faith, trust and confidence in our Housekeeping team and I trust them with our guests’ facilities and property as much as I trust them with the reputation of our business. They have never let me down to date.

I truly hope that this sets your mind at rest and I only regret that you did not approach me with this matter when you first encountered it during your stay, it cannot have been a restful stay thinking the whole time that someone was making use of facilities that were private to you at the time.

I trust this covers all details at present however, should you wish to discuss matters further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel has a great location for walkers in the centre of the small village of Buttermere. Walks onto Whiteless Pike start outside the front door! The staff were really friendly and helpful. The breakfast and packed lunches are good, although you can get a cheaper packed lunch round the corner from the farm run café. The quality of the evening meals is excellent, although the choice is limited and would get repetitive if you stayed for more than 4 nights. Our room was really good and we were given a choice before we booked of which room we wanted - you can preview them by looking on the hotel's website.

Room Tip: Look on the website first to pick your room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Warrenwendy,
Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
I am blessed with very friendly staff and I appreciate your feedback accordingly.
In relation to your concerns of our menu, you will be pleased to learn that we returned to our daily menu writing. The seasonal menu was implemented recently to allow us greater buying power and in turn better value for money for our guests. Listening to our customer feedback is key to maintaining the offering and happiness of our guests and this has led us to understand the seasonal menu was just not working.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

SE22
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed in Room 18 from 8-12 July, room was beautifully laid out with great views of the surrounding fells. The food was excellent, ate in restaurant and bar, and the rear garden to the bar was perfect for watching the world go by. All of the staff were very friendly - a super hotel, we are already trying to plot a return trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Rovingpup,
Thank you for your review of our Hotel on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, it was certainly a pleasure to be able to welcome you, and what weather!!!!!!
Buttermere, I feel is equally stunning in both the winter and summer, some of our braver guests still see fit to open water swim during trips in November!!
We look forward to welcomein gyou back in the near future.
Steven
High Wycombe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just back from one of our favourite hotels - the wonderful Bridge Hotel in Buttermere. This must be our 11th or 12th stay here over that last 4 years - if this doesn't say how much we rate this establishment I don't know what wouldl!
Yet again we have received excellent service; nothing is too much trouble for Stephen (General Manager), Atilla (Restaurant Manager) and their team of polite and helpful staff. As an example of their helpfulness I turn up with a cool bag full of my specially baked rolls and bread that they are happy to store for me in the freezer (I'm glutuen-free) and produce as and when requested!
We stay in the main hotel on a dinner, B & B tariff and have never been disappointed with either the vast choice at breakfast or the excellent range of dinner options. Hayley, the superb pastry chef, will even go the extra mile and create a special dessert that I can eat despite my dietary limitations!! The wine list is particularly varied and exceptional value for money.
We have only eaten in the lovely classically decorated restaurant but we do have 'early doors' in the bar and the food on offer there looks equally impressive.
I did read in another review some strange adverse comments about the restaurant dinner dress code - no tee-shirts, shorts, trainers etc. We find this very code appealing in that it brings back a semblance of gentility and refinement - usually sadly lacking in this day and age. If you want to mooch about in ultra-casual clothes than you will be very welcome in the bar but please show respect for the staff and your fellow diners in the restaurant by adhering to the guidance given when you accept your booking. As avid walkers we spend most of our time in Buttermere in our walking clothes and boots ourselves, but what a joy to clean up and dress up a bit for dinner!!
All this and the most amazing weather we have ever had in the Lakes!! It doesn't get much better than this.....already thinking about our next trip!!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 4 are the Four Posters (AW stayed in Room 1!!) at the front of the hotel - both lovely...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Hello there Mrs F (sorry but I'm not allowed to use your name on here)
Its always a pleasure to hear from both and wow! What was the weather doing for you this visit.... Long may it continue.
I am delighted that you both continue to enjoy your time with us, I assure you our efforts are a pleasure but I do thank you for noting them. I am so proud of our team and the standards they maintain.
Looking forward to welcoming you back.
Steven XX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our party of 4 arrived around 7pm, after a long drive, and went straight to the bar for a drink before dinner. We had chosen the Bridge because we had stayed there 3 times during the past few years, and enjoyed the beautiful setting, old world charm of the bar, etc, as well as the excellent food. Fortunately, all these features remain ( full marks to the first class chef). However, we were rushed through for our meal (booked for 8pm), and asked to decide on the menu 3 times, followed by ( at 7.25) the comment " I'll give you 2 more minutes!!" The waiter's name was Atilla.
Before that we were told that the showers occasionally were problematic in our rooms, so we were given the key to a 3rd room. All 3 showers were either a dribble of water or cold. We we moved after one night to rooms where the showers did work - also given small discount (£5 per person).
The other main issue is dress code for the dining room. We were told no fewer than 3 times that jeans , T shirts and trainers were not allowed. We all planned to change before the meal ( we all wore shirts in the dining room anyway), but had no time to change properly. Nevertheless, we had not experienced this new policy previously. Also, if you wish to eat in the bar (nice atmosphere), and if on a DB&B package, you get an "allowance " of only £15 towards the food. Dinner in the dining room costs £35. So, strange!!
Finally (see review "locked out!"), no Staff remain on site at night, so if you wish to go out after 10pm for post prandial stroll, you must get a key. Atilla started turning off the lights in the lounge when we were still having our coffee! Faulty Towers springs to mind.
All things considered, we probably won't return.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Swimboy52
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and I am very sorry that you found the experience to be less than satisfactory. It is always our intention to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay and relish in what we pride ourselves on delivering. It would appear that on this occasion we have fallen short of this.
As I am sure you are aware we were extremely busy in both the bar and dining room on the night you stayed, it was only with this in mind that our operations manager was trying to protect your dining times without any disruption to the guests that were booked in after you to sit. Having spoken with him he advised me that he offered "I will give you a couple more minutes" perhaps the literal meaning of this was lost in Translation - You are aware that Attila has English as a second language.
I am pleased that you mention the shower issues - As I advised you on check in we were experiencing sporadic problems with the showers on the landing you were allocated, In anticipation of this I offered the third key as a back up and asked that you notify me of any issues you may have. Once you reported the issues you were immediately moved to a superior twin, given a free upgrade and a reduced rate so I am a little disappointed that your reflection of a £5 discount may not be a fair judgment. Your original favorable rate was already heavily discounted and therefore left me little room for further adjustment.
Our dress code has always been in place for the dining room, smart attire, no jeans trainers or t-shirts. Attila was unaware I had addressed this on check in but would only be trying to help, of this I assure you. He is a wonderful member of our team and will push himself to ensure our guests’ time with us is comfortable and enjoyable.
I am unsure why you feel the need to address the dining allocation for the bar or indeed our night time operations as neither were relevant and certainly caused no disruption to your stay. As a small Country Hotel we have no need for a night porter and I myself live on site and manage the phone calls 24 hours a day I truly believe we are adequately "staffed" and easy to obtain should our guests need me.
I am sorry that you feel unable to return to us as we love to see regulars and be able to welcome them back.

Yours Sincerely

Steven Langley

Been to Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!