“Absolutely Lovely,Location,room,food and staff.” 5 of 5 stars

Bridge Hotel
Buttermere CA13 9UZ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buttermere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Lovely,Location,room,food and staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed at The Bridge for three nights, two nights dinner bed and breakfast and one night bed and breakfast with another couple and our two dogs.
The bedrooms were very nicely decorated, pretty curtains, comfy bed, crisp cotton bedding. Well fitted bathroom . Complimentary, toiletries and a well stocked tea tray.
Our bedrooms were above the stream , a lovely relaxing sound to go to sleep to !!

The four course meal was delicious and there was a lovely choice, difficult to choose , all so nice. no additional costs apart from if you had cheese and biscuits and coffee.
The breakfast was another treat, lovely local produce, well cooked.

One evening we had a meal in the bar , we had home made steak pie which was absolutely delicious

The lounge was full of soft comfortable settees and an open fire, a lovely place to sit and relax.

Wifi was available in the lounge.

The Hotel is in a stunning position , very close to Buttermere lake, beautiful walks from the doorstep , suitable for all grades of walker.

It is a short drive to Keswick, Cockermouth and the Solway coast with lots of activities. The highest Go Ape is At The Whinlatter Centre which is also a short drive away.

We would definitely recommend this beautiful hotel. We loved it so much we are returning with our children and partners for our fortieth wedding anniversary.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear petawendy54

Thank you for what i can only describe as a very heart warming and sweet review, I have copied this to everyone in the team and I am delighted that your message will be heard.

It would appear that you managed to enjoy exactly what is the ethos of what we are doing here. Homely and friendly yet professional and unassuming.

I cant wait to welcome you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely

Steven Langley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Bracknell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We've just spent a couple of nights at The Bridge and had a fantastic time. The staff are extremely friendly & efficient - a really great team. Thank you particularly to Ray, Attila and Steven for looking after us so well. The food in both the bar and restaurant was really delicious, the lounge with its log fire was warm and welcoming, and the rooms were comfortable and cosy. We have stayed at The Bridge many times in the past, and will definitely be returning - Buttermere is one of the most beautiful places in the country, and this hotel is the perfect place to stay to enjoy it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Kandyz

Thank you very much for your kind words. I am delighted that you had the best of times with us at The Bridge Hotel.

I am so very proud of the team here as they all work extremely hard to create the atmosphere and service you appear to have enjoyed very much.

Buttermere and The Lake District is a very special part of the world and I feel privileged to be a part of the mechanism offering first class hospitality to our guests.

We look forward to being able to welcome you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely

Steven Langley
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel is very comfortable, has friendly staff and good food, however it has one major drawback which is that they lock the doors at anytime between 10pm and 11pm. I have just returned from a four night stay there and on Friday night I got back to the hotel at 10:45 (the same time as the previous night) only to find that all the doors were locked and there is no bell to rouse staff. Fortunately, I had family staying at the YHA in the village so I was able to scrounge a bed for the night there. If that had not been the case I may have had to spend the night sleeping on the fells in -5 degrees C temperatures. Hypothermia anyone!!! I could not get into my car as I had left the keys in my room and the use of a mobile phone in the village is impossible due to poor reception.

I have stayed in hotels all over the world and this is the first one that I have known to lock its doors at night at all let alone at the ridiculous time of 10pm. There is a tiny plaque inside the hotel front door advising that the front door would be locked at 10pm but no mention was made of this when I checked in nor was it mentioned in the information literature in the room itself. There is also no plaque at the side door from which I left the hotel

I would also pont out that, on my first night there, I was drinking in the bar and we heard a family complaining that they had had to wait for 1 hours 40 minutes for a bar meal!

I did get some compensation from the hotel but for me to stay there again, they would seriously have to review their door policy and lack of night staff. If the current policy remains in force I would suggest that they should rebrand themselves as a B&B rather than a hotel.

John M

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear John7550,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Bridge Hotel. We pride ourselves on being able to listen to our guests experience and where necessary amend operations accordingly. It would appear on the face of it that excluding this incident you experienced exactly what we strive to deliver here:

Friendly and efficient service in a comfortable and homely surrounding.

Please believe me when I say that I am extremely sorry for the circumstances that resulted in you being locked out, and I hope that you will be able to see the remedial actions as below as going some way to assure yourself that we are eliminating any possible cause of this in the future.

At check in our registration forms now advise guests of the need for a front door key should they be returning out of usual operating hours. Reception staff have been retrained accordingly.

Although the information was already displayed in the bedroom information it was written in a font called EDWARDIAN script, this font is not the easiest to read and was in fact in a grey that made it somewhat difficult to spot, this in now on the front page in a black font and in a clear script.

The A5 notice which is displayed on the front door is also now present at the side door, regrettably the old one was removed during decoration and I had not yet replaced it.

Again, my apologies for what must have been quite a distressing time. We do look forward to perhaps welcoming you back.

Kindest regards and best wishes

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We spend a 4 night Easter Break and again had a great time the only slight mishap was the room we spend the first night in had a problem with no hot water but on mentioning to Ray in reception we were immediately offered another room which we took ...thanks Ray.

Paul and his staff in the bar are great as are Attila and Stephen and the staff in the restaurant and kitchen....the food in both the bar and restaurant are first class

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear David D,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we again apologize for the failure in the pumps feeding the Hot water to your room, Ray is a true Gent and always willing to help!.

I will convey your kind comments to the team and we all look forward to maybe being able to welcome you back in the near future.

LONDON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed for a night at the end of March when it was a bit on the cold side.
Not a warm reception with the desk staff coming out with a curt "you residents?"
But still the hotel is nicely decorated, a little too much of the 'floral and tassel' for my taste.
Tea and scones in the bar. OK
Bath in our room took an age to run and was just hot enough for a bath. Shower didn't work.
Dinner was 'Fine Dining' . Waiter unsure of the menu and unwilling to find out. As a walker the experience was not up to my appetite.
The hotel struggled to heat the public rooms. I watched as the wind blew the swing doors of the sitting room open. Our room on the top floor was bracing. I put on thermals to go to bed and more in the morning to go down to breakfast.
Mentioned this the the staff only to be told it was cold outside.
Breakfast just OK.
Good drying room
They can answer the phone, but ask for full payment in advance, for the D,B and B

Room Tip: The bar meals are on the expensive side but are more fitting to those needing to refuel for the fell...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear CEDRIC,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy the fine dining on offer, as a note and in the hope you may again try The Hotel, we are always happy to offer our residents the Bar Menu as an alternative to the hotel Dinner. this is of course served in the bar so you can enjoy the food in a more relaxed environment.

You will be pleased to read that the extreme temperatures, snow and blizzard conditions we experienced in March have all left us now and we are blessed with beautiful blue skies. no need for thermals today !

Barnard Castle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was staying at a local campsite and at the last minute decided to go for a meal with a friend. I had the scampi and chips whilst my friend had the mushroom risotto. My meal was promptly served and did the job, nothing special but enjoyable. My friend said her risotto was delicious and the taste I had confirmed that. Washed down with a pint of Jennings most enjoyable. Comfortable pub and chilled !

• Stayed March 2013
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear AndyK
thank you for your kind words in relation to your recent visit. I am delighted that you were able to enjoy your visit to The Bridge Inn Walkers Bar. Brave of you to be camping at this time of year! I am pleased that the weather was kind you.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Gateshead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We first stayed at The Bridge on our honeymoon in 1969 and have recently returned from a 2 day DBB break. The welcome and attention received was excellent. We were given room 18 which was a delightful dual aspect room with its own small sitting area, four poster bed and all the usual facilities. On an exceedingly cold day we were very cosy.
Breakfasts and dinners were exceptional. It was good to be waited on for all aspects of breakfast - no self service. Food was well cooked and presented with great attention to detail. Service from a friendly hungarian waiter was very attentive.
Stunning location enhanced by snow on the fells.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear JGLawley,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. it really has been an Ice blast in the last couple of days so I am pleased to learn that you were cosy and warm throughout your stay.

Room 18 is a beautiful room and one of my preferred choices.

I will pass on your kind words to the team and especially Atilla who has recently joined us as Operations Manager.

We look forward to welcoming you for a return as soon as you are able to come.

Steven

Been to Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!