“Lovely” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Bingley
Barbados
“Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night- beautiful location. Rooms lovely and have everything you should need. Had very nice pre dinner drinks on the terrace. Evening meal delicious and malt whiskey selection available. The owners are very attentive .

• Stayed June 2013

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Manchester, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

If this comfortable, AA 3 Star hotel was in the Yorkshire Dales or on the coast I would think that you would have great difficulty getting a room. So firstly what has the location, between Bradford and Keighley, got to offer? A short walk from the hotel are the Bingley Five Rise locks on the Leeds – Liverpool canal, a magnificent feat of engineering from the late 1700s. There are miles of great walking along the canal. Next there is the village of Saltaire, a World Heritage Site, just 8 -10 minutes away by car and a must see. The third location is the Worth Valley steam railway 10 – 15 minutes away; but there is also Haworth and the Brontes 6 miles away, Bradford and its’ National Media Museum, 5.5 miles away and the lovely market town of Skipton 13 miles away. Plenty to enjoy for a three or four night stay.
The hotel is a stone built Victorian mill owners house which nestles in a peaceful wooded suburb of Bingley, on the hillside overlooking the Aire valley. The family who own the hotel have decorated and updated it very stylishly. They are very welcoming and helpful. Our room was tastefully decorated, clean, spacious, well equipped and with a nice view of the garden. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom a good size, clean and bright. As with other rooms in the hotel there were very attractive pictures on the walls which finished off the decor.
There is a very welcoming bar adjoining a very smart dining room with leather high backed chairs and crisp table linen. The food was very good as befits an AA rosette restaurant and is reasonably priced, with the bonus of an ‘early bird’ offer. The wine list was good with bottles priced from £14.45 to £50.00 , and plenty by the glass. We went for a couple of bottles from the lower end and were very satisfied. Breakfast is served in the dining room and the ‘full English’ was first class.
All in all an excellent stay and as an added bonus our dog enjoyed it very much. Check out their website for more details.
PS. Plenty of parking but try to avoid being under the large red tree as the sap is a nuisance.

Room Tip: Overlooking the valley would be a good choice and they have ground floor rooms if stairs are a chall...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Doune, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

If you want a quiet hotel in which to unwind and enjoy excellent food and wine then try this. I was in Yorkshire on business but wanted somewhere quiet to retreat to, so that I could dictate my reports in peace and then enjoy dinner and a drink without having to drive anywhere. The hotel is a large re-modelled country house run by a husband and wife team with a flair for cooking and attention to detail. On arrival I was asked which mattered most, wifi or a good view, I answered "both" and got room 2 which has slightly poorer wifi than the rest (or so the proprietor said) but I found it absolutely fine. The room was tastefully decorated (see photo), comfortably furnished and had superb views over the surrounding countryside. Others have written about the imaginative extras such as binoculars and basset hounds so I shall not dwell on those other than to say I thought them both excellent ideas. I did appreciate the fact that the room contained a selection of books for a variety of tastes and interests so if you're there for a long weekend and without a book then fear not! Apart from all these details which all added to the ambience and the pleasure of staying there, the biggest "plus" was the food...simply superb! Would I stay there again? I think the modern expression is "in a heartbeat"!

Room Tip: Room 2 is spacious and has superb views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Port Erin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We recently celebrated my 70th birthday here with 7 of us staying in the hotel for 4 nights and an extra 12 guests for the Saturday evening. Richard and Margaret (plus 2 daughters) could not have been more friendly and helpful. As I live in the Isle of Man most arrangements were made over the phone and internet and I got immediate replies to all my questions. The rooms were excellent and my frieds with 2 dogs were accommodated in a lovely ground floor room where the dogs could go onto the patio without going through the hotel. They didn't even complain when my cake candles caused the smoke alarm to go off!!! We will definitely be back to stay and are planning party for my husband when he is 65.

Room Tip: We had the four poster room overlooking the valley with great views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Five Rise for 3 weeks when visiting family in Bingley and it soon became a home away from home. Loved the little quirks, such as the Bassett stuffed animal as the do not disturb sign and binoculars to check out the beautiful views of St Ives and the Yorkshire Dales. Richard and Margaret (the owners) were wonderful and I loved being greeted on my way out each morning by Ruby and Tilley, their beautiful friendly four legged family.
Rooms were more than comfortable and spacious with LCD tv and lovely and warm.
Breakfast was wonderful with great variety. It was nice to have Richard/Margaret ask me if I wanted my usual of a morning (guess I'm a tad predictable!!), it was a nice, personal touch.
I was able to access wifi, yet signal dropped out depending on where I was in the building, though found this wasn't isolated to Five-Rise and the Bingley area in general.
Close to great walking tracks, located close to the canals and about a five-ten minute walk to train station and town centre.
Richard was great and couldn't help enough when I reshuffled my travel plans and extended my stay at the last minute.
Can't wait to visit again this September!

• Stayed November 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We wanted to try somewhere different to celebrate a family birthday and reading the menu online we decided to give this restaurant a go.
There was no one to meet us on arrival in the reception, however on ringing the bell we were told to go through to the restaurant. For a Thursday night and having been recommended to book we found we were the only customers. There is a nice bar area where we sat and enjoyed an aperitif whilst looking through the menu, no wine list was offered however. Upon ordering beef two ways (including a fillet steak!) we weren't asked how we'd like it cooked and when we questioned this were told its braised beef so no we don't ask how you like it but the fillet comes rare!
When taken through to our table, it had been decorated with a happy birthday banner and confetti, a lovely touch based on a conversation the staff had overheard as we had not mentioned when we'd booked.
Although there was a bottle of water on the table it was not poured and we then had to ask to see a wine list. Lovely bread on the table and starters arrived quickly, the fish cake, soup and smoked salmon were fine but the baby back ribs proved a disappointment, looking unappetising and being very dry.
Main course time and again a mixed bag, the duck shepherds pie was tasty if a little dry, the trio of fish was bland and the beef two ways was a complete disappointment, the fillet wasn't even good enough to feed a dog and certainly not rare!!!
As mentioned we were the only customers so atmosphere was severely lacking, however this wouldn't have been so bad if the service had been better!!! All the time we were there the 3 owners/staff were sat around drinking, chatting and quite frequently canoodling (and that's being polite!!) to the extent that one of our party commented that they needed a room!
After waiting a good 10 mins for the main course to be cleared ( and to note not being asked if the food was ok!) we had to go into the bar area to ask for the bill. The bill came to £100 for the four of us (on the early bird!), at this point we mentioned a few of the issues that we'd experienced during the evening (or I should say 1 hour that we were there), to be told this is the way we do things as a family business!
All in all we left feeling extremely let down and will definitely not be returning!!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Leyland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We wanted to be looked after on a mid week break and this was ideal. Our beautifully decorated room in the tower was wonderful,with some lovely personal touches,such as books and binoculars.The locally sourced food was superb, the service friendly and brisk. Loved it. A harmonious family establishment. Unable to get wi fi, but that may have been our problem.

Room Tip: The tower room was impressive.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Five Rise Locks Hotel? Share your experiences!