“Please be warned” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bingley
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Please be warned”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

The building and grounds are absolutely fantastic, it is a complete shame that the management have allowed these beautiful surroundings to be totally denegrated by the unprofessional staff who were rude, disrespectful, and unhelpful. I recently attended a celebratory family function there, not only was the meal served very late, but the menu displayed incorrect celebration details. The final insult was that I was asked extremely curtly by one of the waiters (Mark) to take my seat in the restaurant as he was very obviously becoming impatient at the time it was taking for myself and another guest to assist a disabled member of the party into her seat - completely disgusting!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bradford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Stayed over night for a joint celebration of a friends wedding and our second wedding Anniversary in June 2011.
We arrived mid afternoon,the hotel from the outside and the exterior grounds where very pretty, once inside we had to wait about 10 minutes before anyone came to attend to us, when the man eventually arrived it was though we where putting him out, no welcome or greeting to straight to formalities.
After signing in, he pointed to the flight of stairs and explained we would probably need oxygen by the time we had reached our room as they had no lift? he wasn't joking, as our room was at the very top along several staircases and various corridors, which led us into the loft?
When we eventually reached our room hoping we would be able to relax and freshen up for the evening reception, it soon came apparent we has been placed in the Attic (is the best way to describe it) the room was so small and no proper window only a velux ceiling window,which made the very small space even more claustrophobic.
My husband who is l suppose ,is taller than most 6''4 laid on the bed which really only supported him from his head to his knees as the bed was so small.
The decor was dated and shabby and the carpet was very badly stained, and was in desperate need of re -decorating completely, the tea and coffee facilities was an old tea trolley stuck in the corner, which nearly put your back out,as it was so low to the floor!
The bathroom, again was in need of face lift, 70's decor, and you could see where the damp had peeled of old paint and then had been painted over yet again.
The television was badly attached to the wall and could not receive a full signal so kept going off.
By the time l had got ready for the evening reception l needed air as l felt so hot and sick due no proper ventilation in the room l could not bear it any longer.

When the following morning finally approached as neither me or my husband could get to sleep due to the bed being so small and uncomfortable, we went down to breakfast to be met (not greeted) by the most abrupt women l have ever met! I think she must have got out of the wrong side of bed, or maybe she herself had stayed in one of the other rooms? and got as much sleep as l did! but never the less, l was paying just short of a £100 for this whole experience, l think l should have been paid for staying here. l rushed my breakfast as l had now had enough and got the hell out of there, never to go back.
It certainly did meet my expectations of a romantic get away, it ruined the whole weekend.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Went up to Yorkshire for a family wedding, driving up the driveway to the main hotel reception was very beautiful and the building looks magnificent but when we took our luggage and went up to the reception, the man behind the counter did not want to listen to what we said. We had bookings but he refused, then he made a fuss about so many of us trying to stay at the hotel (so we went to the nearby radisson..some of us did).

Asking for a duplicate key for my girlfriend was like asking the man for the keys to his house and his car!!! he was soooo patronising!! the Showers did not work and when we complained he looked at us like we had messed it up - I had to walk ddown to reception 3 times before they even came upstairs to have a look!!! (I would not go as far as saying he was a bit rac*st but we all were NOT WELCOME AT ALL!! I travel around the world for business and have stayed at great hotels but during checkout he made us feel like we could not afford such fancy hotels and asked if someone else was paying for it..

To be fair, the two ladies working at the hotel were very very polite but sadly you have to face this one man everyday and any conversation or experience with him makes u feel so lowly and poor!! very very bad service and very patronising!!!

Would NEVER RECOMMEND this hotel to anyone !! Hate it, worst experience!

Room Tip: Try the Radisson around in the area. It was decent
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

I stayed at Oakwood Hall on business , the hotel was recommended by the organisation I was working with the following day . I was made to feel very welcome and the receptionist was very friendly and chatty , as well as highly efficient . the room I was allocated ( 9 ) was spotlessly clean , warm and welcoming . The decor was fresh and modern combined with the historical character of the building , great big fireplace detail and modern plasma TV , also nice and warm . I believe all the rooms are different and have their own character . The gentleman in the bar / restaurant was equally as efficient and friendly - I really enjoyed my evening meal and I slept like a log ! I wished I could have stayed longer and certainley if I am in the area again , I would look forward to returning to Oakwood - where , no doubt , they would recall my initial visit - albeit brief , such is their level of customer service.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

We had a fabulous time. terrific lunch, wonderful staff, could not have been better.
Will go back again. Excellent.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

We recently held a party for my fathers 95 birthday, ages of guests ranged from under 2 to 95. The food was wonderful, we had a choice of 3 dishes on each course, the food was freshly cooked and beautifully presented. The friendly efficient staff looked after us very well, nothing was too much trouble. The private dining room we had was beautifully set up with fresh flowers on the tables and an open fire. After we had eaten we were asked if we would take coffee in the bar, we sat around another open fire in the cosy bar and chatted for well over 2 hours, we were not rushed and made to feel most at home, refills of coffee came regularly. Some of us stayed over that night, our room was spacious with a four poster bed and a lovely bathroom. Very refreshing to stay in a hotel with individually designed bedrooms. Breakfast the next morning was freshly cooked to order, the best I have ever tasted. All the staff were very helpful. My father had a wonderful day and is already wanting to organise his 96th. Birthday party at Oakwood hall Hotel

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
West Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

We had chosen Oakwood Hall for sentimental reasons - used to live in Bingley quite a few years back and daughter wanted to choose somewhere near to her place of birth for 18th celebration with family and friends. Visited in summer for a meal and decided to book as venue and also as a place to stay for the party weekend.
From start to finish staff could not have been more helpful, particular mention must go to Ann who took the booking and was most accommodating to all our requests,, Phil who masterminded the event on the day, plus the lovely Marise, charm personified! Nothing was too much trouble for any of them them, even dealing with some of our more demanding guests was done with patience! A big thank you to everyone, some of whom we did not know by name, but all were unfailingly helpful and courteous.
Rooms were spotless and had everything we needed. Others have mentioned rooms being dated, ours were in excellent condition, some of th efurniture was in keeping with the age of the hotel but that added to its charm. If you are looking for soul - less uniformity, don't stay here, find a travelodge, there are several in the area! If you are looking for charm, cleanliness, a warm welcome and excellent service, well try Oakwood Hall. I for one look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Oakwood Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!