“glum” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Bingley
Banbury
“glum”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

the web/booking picture showing a clean, modern room was how I remember my last stay in the new wing at this hotel a few years ago. Sadly, my family and I were obviously put in the old part of the hotel, which is long overdue a full refurbishment. The bath had no anti-slip mat, but no worries because it's so old that you couldn't slip in the bath if you stood on the soap! The bathroom was grubby to say the least. The extractor fan didn't work in the bathroom, causing masses of steam. There is a sign telling guests not to leave the bathroom door open for fear of setting off the fire alarm, and also not to attempt adjustment of the extractor - the extractor didn't work, and somebody must have left their bathroom door open because the fire alarm went off and we all had to stand in the car park, in late october, in our dressing gowns. The rest of the room was clean enough, but it was so cold - the instructions told us to adjust the thermostatic control on the radiator, but there wasn't one, it had been removed and was stuck at 'freezing'... The beds were old and uncomfortable and sometimes the noisy springs woke us up when we turned over in the night.
We thought we had a good deal at £49/night for the room. There is a big sign outside the hotel advertising this rate to everybody. For £49 I could have stayed at a Travel Lodge, and we'd have been happier, because at least they get the basics right. Clean, warm & comfortable is all we ask.

Room Tip: insist on a room in the new section to the right of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review and feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am very disappointed to hear that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.

Please be assured that your feedback will be reviewed with the management team and direct action will be taken to make further improvements. I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

Once again, I am very sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations and I hope that you will consider returning in the future when I am confident you will experience our usual standard of care, welcome and hospitality,

Emily Cox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is one of those hotels that feels very airy and fresh when you walk through, the building looks very grand with large staircases inside and big rooms, the breakfast was very nice too.

Friendly Staff and easy parking made this a place I would come to again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will ensure your feedback is reviewed with the team and I am sure this will be very motivational for them as we continuously strive to make further improvements to our service and standards.

I do hope we can look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future,

Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed at the Bankfield on a Thursday night as a lone female. I had chosen the hotel as it was close to the friend I was meeting and it was much cheaper than the local Premier Inn, £45 per night as opposed to over £70 being demanded by the Premier Inn. I read it was 3 star but only needed somewhere to lay my head so wasn't expecting much. I was surprised on my arrival to find a lovely country house style hotel, which had been extended with 2 modern separate wings. The reception in the old part of the house was staffed by a very friendly and charming man who checked me in quickly and efficiently. The room was on the 2nd floor overlooking the car park and gardens and was very nicely furnished and well equipped with iron, ironing board, hairdryer, tea and coffee (even my favourite earl Grey which I normally have to ask for), flat screen TV and free Wi-Fi. I had a super king-size bed and the bathroom was lovely. As a lone female who has been robbed whilst on holiday in the past I was pleased to find a chain on the door as well as the usual lock. The following morning (despite the fact that the roof to the breakfast room sprung a major leak whilst I was having breakfast) I had a fantastic breakfast. buffet style of course but very fresh and tea served by a friendly waiter. The staff remained cheerful in spite of the leak and the fire alarms going off. The receptionist who checked me out, (despite having to tolerate a complaint from a lady who had expected a bell and not a claxon to sound the fire alarm so had not known what to do, picture the scene with the sisters and the fire alarm with Basil Fawlty and you'll get my drift), remained cheerful enough to lend me an umbrella so I could get to my car without getting wet. Excellent value for money and I would definitely go back there, and if this is an example of all Mercure hotels I would definitely seek them out on my travels.
Well done.

Room Tip: Room 251 was a great room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. It is always such a pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

I am very pleased to hear that the room amenities, standards and breakfast all met and exceeded your expectations. I would particularly like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the attitude of the staff, I will ensure this is passed onto the team as I am sure this will act as further encouragement as we continue to seek ways to improve our service and standards.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Surrey, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Thought this hotel was very good value for money but the drinks in the bar and the evening meal were very expensive and they could do with more staff in the brekfast/dining room also pillows could do with renewing,but overall a very pleasant stay for 3 nights.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests.

I would like to assure you that your feedback will be reviewed with the team and further action taken from this feedback to further enhance our service and standards.

I do hope we can look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last night and the stFf were nice but not enough if them. We waited to be served a drink for 10 mins in the bar at about 7.3"0. Until a member of staff appeared... We were toying with the experience of eating there too however have been to Crematoriums with more atmosphere so we decamped to the excellent Valentinos In Bingley.

Breakfast was good and reflected the price however the whole place is in need of a refurb as the staff were dashing around with buckets to abate the gushing leaks that appeared all through the dining room and landing during a torrential rain storm, the bathrooms are tired and do not reflect the quality they could be. All in all nothing to write home about but did the job as a laterooms booking as business in the area had over/ run.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased to hear that overall your stay was satisfactory. I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused by the leak in the restaurant during your stay, this was because of an unforeseen problem with the roofing, the staff did their best given the circumstances and the leak has now been fixed, I am sorry this caused an issue during your visit.,

I would also like to thank you for your feedback regarding the staffing levels, I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations and that there was a delay in service. This has been reviewed with the Food and beverage manager and direct action will be taken to ensure a more prompt service in future.

I do hope that you will consider returning to the hotel in the near future when I am confident you will experience our usual standard of care, welcome and hospitality.

Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed in a standard double room. Our whole experience was pretty much standard all round. The room was a little on the small side but it was nice and clean and the corridors smelt fresh which was great.
All the staff were polite and friendly. The breakfast was alright too.
We were hoping to have a romantic weekend but slightly disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you found your stay satisfactory. I am disappointed that on this occasion you did not find the stay as romantic as you would have liked and I will of course take this feedback into consideration as we continue to make improvements to our service and standards.

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the team, I will ensure this is fedback to the staff.

I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed 3 nights and for the price very good. Rooms quite comfortable. It was very nice to have plugs and with one by a mirror so you could dry your hair - something many hotels fail to do. A special mention for the chef - evening meal very good and so nice to have bread and soup made on site very tasty. A few issues - check your bill carefully. Staff customer care mixed some excellent others terrible

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for comments, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will ensure your comments are passed onto the Head Chef regarding the quality of the food, this I am sure will be very motivational for the kitchen team.

I do hope we can look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Emily Cox

Been to Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel? Share your experiences!