“Nice setting, but maybe not for everyone” 3 of 5 stars

Akti Taygetos Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mikra mantinia, Kalamata 24100, Greece   |
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Kalamata
Athens, Greece
“Nice setting, but maybe not for everyone”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed in a standard room, which was in the farther back of the complex. This invoved an uphill walk which was never my favorite whenever i was tired. In spite of this shortcoming, it was nice to see that the hotel has made full provision for PRM. The room itself did not reflect a 4 star environment, but had all the basic amenities and was spotless clean. Beds: uncomfortably firm for me, which did not result in a good night sleep. Hotels should consider that the most important factor to a guest is a COMFORTABLE bed and a CLEAN room, regardless of any additional luxury.
The surrouding gardens are lovely, extremely well kept and manicured and the pool is nice and large. Breakfast: A lot to be desired, not from the selection itself (which was not bad) but from the overall look and feel. The basics - Coffe & Milk - were the worst. Two waiters were silently uninterested to offer any services.
The area has lovey beaches just a bit farther away, so the very small strip of beach in the front part of the hotel (separated by the main road from the hotel) is nobody's favorite. The hotel is a bit far out from the town (15 min drive). There is no question you need a car to get around this area, do some sightseeing, and go to some really nice places, swim, eat or have a drink. Reception staff was very helpful, courteous and always with a smile in their face. Considering the reasonable price we paid, overall it was not an unpleasant experience

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

Kalamata was going to be my base for my road trips to Sparta and Olympia. I got this booking thru a well-known hotels booking site, at a great discounted rate. What I did not realise was it was in the middle of nowhere. Over one hour's walk into town. You really need a car to stay, over wise you are stuck there.
Having said all that I found the hotel rooms clean, spacious and comfortable. The hot breakfast buffet was well above Greek standards and very welcome in the morning. The staff were very friendly and helpful.
In season I would not pay the asking price of 150 euros per night. I do not think this hotel is worth that ( I might pay 90).NB. Kalamata town itself did not comes across much as a city I found appealing (just very ordinary).

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Akti_taygetos, Front Office Manager at Akti Taygetos Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2011
at first we would like to thank you for sharing your travel experiences. we would like to inform you that at the entrance of the hotel guests may find a bus stop to get easily to Kalamata's center. Also the price you note in your review about the high season is not correct. We would like to invite you to visit Kalamata area again and spend more time, because you will find out that it is a magnificent place next to the sea and one of the best modern cities in Greece.
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

The hotel is about 10-15 minutes fom downtown kalamata (costs about 15 euros one way taxi ride) and it sits on a 2-lane highway. The beach is on the other side of this highway. Nothing is in walking distance with the busy highway. The room is heavily perfumed...to a point where nothing helps even leaving the door of balcony open...the marina area is a collwction of taverns with industrial appearance. The hotel is a 2-star facility at an off the seaspn rate of 100 euros. They also have synthetic pillows with stained covers.

• Stayed November 2010
Akti_taygetos, Front Office Manager at Akti Taygetos Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
thank you for sharing your experiences regarding our hotel. we would like to apologize for the bad smell in your room. we would also like to inform you that since August 2011 the housekeeping department has replaced the old perfumes with a brand new collection perfumes so that guests may enjoy a fresh and light perfume. it is a true fact that nobody ever complaint about the smell since then. you may also be interested in learning that the price (one way) for a cab to the city center now costs only 10 euros and there is always the possibility (the schedule is frequent) to get on a local bus which stops right infront of the hotel in Iridos street, a calm and quite road which stands between the hotel and the beach.
once again we would like to thank you for your time and we hope to welcome you once again in akti taygetos.
Thessaloniki, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

I was traveling to Kalamata with my wife and 6 month son. We found out about this hotel through the internet, We were surprised by the cheap price for a 4 star hotel so I called and booked. It is not a bad hotel but the photos, the 4 stars and the place makes a potential client think that is going to be a typical 4 star hotel. But not... The bungalow that we were taken had an old bathroom that clearly had not been renovated and the view that's shown on the photos was totally absent. It was also far away from the parking lot, even though just above it had a garage door and a yard with a truck park inside, on hotel's property. We were staying for a couple of nights so we decided not to make a fuss about it. As a plus I must add they had a respectable cot - playpen for my son. The next morning we went down for breakfast and we really didn't like what we tasted. It had only the basic and a lot of the stuff there were at least 2 days old!!! The bread slices were so crispy that you didn't have to toast them... The orange juice was terrible.
The last thing that I really hated was the checking out. I notified and payed at the reception around 20:00 o'clock and I was departing around 05:00 on the next morning. I asked to open the garage door just on the door of my bangalow but they replied that the hotel's technician had the only keys!!! I asked if there was an emergency what would and the reply was a nod... Anyway I took all my stuff and put them in my car through the longest way.
Generally I think that the 4 stars should be 2 or maybe 3, and I don't recommend staying there to anyone unless they have to!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Travelled to Kalamata from Toronto Canada for a wedding. Stayed at the Akti Taygetos for two weeks because friends & wedding guests were staying there. A very generic hotel, nothing special. A buffet breakfast was included & each morning the eggs bacon, wieners & coffee were cold. The bacon was always undercooked. We complained to the Operations Manager, Xydeas (--) who went & touched the warming pan & said "I Disagree" & walked away. He didn't even try the food to see if it was hot. The first night we got a bathrobe. After our room was cleaned it was gone. My wife asked the Operations Manager for another one & he said not to politely "Bathrobes are for the Executive Rooms only" & again walked away again. A friend asked for an extra blanket & was told to turn down their air conditioning. The senior management staff need to take a customer relations course. Very poor attitude, would not recommend this hotel at all.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
athens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Very good hotel. luxury and magic but expensive. very good breakfast. big swimming pool. Kalamata has the best food. I can stay in this hotel for ever.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
stoupa749, Manager at Akti Taygetos Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2010
Thank you for your kind review!
Leeds in UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I wanted to write this review because we loved the location and the beach of the hotel but had problems with the service in the restaurant of the hotel. The rooms were adequate, a bit dated (we had a bungalow) but clean. We loved the beach bar, the waters at the beacn and the access to the beach by the underpass. We had our 6 month old with us and he had his first sleep on the beach since it was quite and in the shade until 11am. My parents visited us while there so, we stayed in to have lunch one day. My dad ordered a beef steak and the rest of us ordered other ready dishes of the day. After 30 mins, they bring half of our dishes and a pork steak! We sent it back, saying that we ordered a beef steak and they apologize for the inconvenience. Ten minutes later, a waiter comes and says there are no beef stakes left. At that time, with my baby restless, I call for the manager who comes and says there are no beef stakes, only fillets that cost more so, we would have to pay the difference. I then said that we waited for too long and they also made a mistake so, they will have to make a deduction at the bill. So, the manager says that we don't need to pay for the steak and we all agree. When the bill comes, they had charged us for everything: all our dishes and the cost of the fillet steak additional to the beef steak my dad had ordered. I called for the manager again, but of course, he was not there and they couldn't find him so, we paid for everything because we didn't want the waitress to get into trouble. We found the incident unacceptable for a hotel like this. We found the waiters and manager of the restaurant (the service at the beach bar was exceptional) unprofessional so, please be aware.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Akti Taygetos Resort? Share your experiences!