TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

“Worth having this experience at least once a year” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Chante Spa Hotel

You added El Chante Spa Hotel to your Saves list
El Chante Spa Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ribera del Lago 170-1 | El Chante, Jocotepec CP 45825, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Jocotepec
Guadalajara, Mexico
“Worth having this experience at least once a year”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Came to celebrate my wife's birthday, the service was excellent. I'm not a massage kind of guy, but I completely enjoyed it. The staff was kind and professional.
I recommend the polinesian massage.
Also you can go to nearby towns like ajijic or chapala.

• Stayed August 2013
PJsMM, Director Comercial at El Chante Spa Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest: Thank you so much for your review, so glad you enjoyed our service and thank you for choosing El Chante Spa Hotel to celebrate such great event. Hope to be of service again in the near future. Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

First off, I met and have traveled with the Spa Expert for the last few years. We have been to the Wynn in Las Vegas, The W in New York and Chicago, The Lowes in Miami Beach, and many other spas in Gaudalajara, Acapulco and California. The experience has opened my eyes and taught me a lot about quality, price, and personalization. Now, I happen to be one of those people that spends two weeks hunting for the right cell phone or tv, before making a purchase. I have the money to always pay full price, however because of my nature I am very frugal for most things, but when it comes to my health and well being... I have found many horrible places when I was looking to pinch pennies, while I have found only a few bad places when I was willing to pay full price. I quickly figured out that when it comes to selfish little old ME, I don't mind paying full price if the service is exceptional.

When it comes to Spas, it doesn't make sense to pinch pennies or feel like you can barely afford it. First fact, if you can't normally afford it, it doesn't make sense to go to the spa that is expensive for you. Most of the time you will be thinking of the expense, rather than enjoying the treatments.

The first time I cam to this hotel was about a year ago, now before I tell you the reason I came back to the spa again this year, I need to point out a few things.

Here are some top items regarding this Hotel Spa that you must know in advance:

1- Kids are not allowed. The spa hotel is a place for adults and the hotel provides a real haven for adults to relax without worrying about kids running around. It is a place were you work on your personal serenity. If you have kids, leave them with relatives so that you can really enjoy being relaxed at the hotel.

2- El Chante is a boutique hotel, which means that it is a smaller hotel, and nothing like the big chain hotels that have hundreds of rooms and serve hundreds of guests. No, this hotel is small enough to allow a personal touch and have limited space. They have only 6 rooms overlooking the lake and the pool, and only 2 of those rooms have direct garden access... of course, these are the two rooms I always look for because of the convenience to the garden and pool. The rooms facing the lake have a balcony area, a living room area, and the bedroom area with a walk-in closet and bathroom. Other rooms not overlooking the lake are available, but I do prefer the lake view. The rooms have a Bose system, large TV and DVD.

3- There are no clubs or party places nearby, so this is NOT the hotel you are looking for if you are thinking about partying or drinking all night long.

4- If you are not going to use the Spa at least once a day while you are staying there, there is probably no reason to go to this hotel. The spa in the hotel is the reason you stay at this hotel. Staying 1-2 days minimum is probably perfect for most people that are looking for serenity. If you accompany your better half, and simply do not use the spa... you will be bored. My recommendation is to use the Spa with your better half. However if you are one of those people who simply hates spa treatments or would never consider it, do yourself a favor and let your better half go with her girlfriend, instead of yourself. She will love you for it, and you will have avoided being bored.

5- There are no water sports. The Hotel has a pool and Jacuzzi in the garden area, as well as hammocks that are comfortable. Again, this is a place who's exceptional service lies in it's spa treatments. The hotel specializes in these exceptional spa treatments, so you need to keep that in mind.

6- The staff speaks spanish. Although I can say that the spa treatments are really good, I have to say that if you speak spanish or go with someone that speaks spanish, you will have a much better experience. There are some things that happen before many of the treatments that are spoken in spanish which become part of the experience. Now, before I go any further I have to stress that the staff seems to have been trained to be quiet at all times, and to try to be as invisible and unobtrusive as possible to maintain the quiet serene environment of the hotel. So when you pass a staff member by, they may smile, but otherwise move on by you without a whisper. They are basically there tending to you and their duties, and when a request or need arrises, they have always been happy to help me.

So why did I return a second time to El Chante after going to other spas?

The Spa Expert and I have been traveling and taking in spa treatments everywhere we have been, as I mentioned before. We came back because we wanted to make sure what we experienced the first time wasn't a fluke. We have just gotten back from our trip to El Chante, and can honestly say that it is the best Spa we have been to. El Chante hotel has two other spas in the City of Guadalajara, and although they are pretty good, even they pale in comparison to the hotel stay experience.

So, what's so different or unique?

Most spa treatments in most places that we have been to, typically do the following:
1- You enter the spa, and then are provided a locker where you change and get ready for your treatment.
2- You are then either given a chance for a steam or sauna and/or placed in a comfortable room and provided a drink, or tea while waiting for your treatment.
3- The treatment specialist arrives to lead you to a room where your treatment will take place.
4- The treatment is provided
5- You are then lead to the waiting room once again to relax with a hot tea or drink.
6- You can then change, or use the facilities.

Most spas do pretty much the same thing. Some have better facilities, some have better specialists, some offer unique treatments, some have nice waiting rooms, and some have very nice music, objects or symbols that confer relaxation... when the typical spa treatment is over, you go back to a loud hotel environment, drive home in traffic, pick up the kids and return to your parent duties, etc.

El Chante combines many of the best things spas have, as well as some details that we have never seen in other spas. They then extend this feeling of serenity out from the spa, to the rest of the hotel and it's grounds. You can hear relaxing music and smell incense in the air as you walk the grounds, or take breakfast in the morning. Many of the relaxing symbols are found though out the hotel, while the staff maintains silence. No traffic, no kids, no loud music, no anxious boss, or other things that can steal away serenity. Only a calm experience which is great and not found any where else. It is perfect for many people like myself, specially if you need time to decompress, enjoy time as couples or think through some tough life choices and need a serene hideaway with someone close.

One of the things we have never seen in other spas is that a Shaman is is intricately involved in the training of the staff, the hotel decorations, the small rites done at the beginning of most of the treatments, and some of the treatments themselves, as well as a few rites that the staff performs everyday in the gardens, regardless of guests being in the hotel. It seems to me that the ancient but simple rites are required by the Shaman to maintain the calm peace that El Chante provides it's guests. It's interesting, and it really seems to have an impact on the quality of the treatments.

Other reviews

I have read other reviews and find some funny. So I will comment on some items regarding them. First of all, El Chante accepts phone reservations using a credit card. My first visit was a year ago, and they had no problem doing this back then, and I didn't find a problem this past Friday when I called them up. I did find it difficult to find the number because google was listing the wrong number for them, so I am posting it here to make it helpful for others: 01-800-821-9757

Late checkouts don't seem to be a problem either... we left at 2pm today, as we had to stay for a deep cleaning facial past the regular checkout time. We were asked to leave suggestions or issues on a blank piece of paper as well. We simply said "thank you, the service was wonderful".

What is the best treatment?

For myself... I think it was called the "Shirobhyanga a Cuatro manos". Where two people provide a massage in unison and then slowly poured oil on your forehead... strange but very good. My only tip... let them know you want to men or two women because if one has more strength than the other, one side of your body may not get the same amount of deep massage you want.

For the Spa Expert... She told me that her favorite was the "Masaje Indígena con Obsidianas", which uses hot obsidian stones in the massage. I have to admit, that one was really really good as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest: What a wonderful review! Thank you so much, our biggest reward is that you came back for the second time and loved it. We hope to be of service to you on your next visit. Best regards.
Guadalajara, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

My wife wanted to spend a day at EL Chante Spa for so long, and we had a wedding in Chapala. So we decided to stay at El Chante “Boutique” Hotel and Spa. We thought that the day after the wedding we could enjoy a spa day. But we were wrong, it was really a nightmare!!!

First of all you cannot make a reservation on their webpage or over the phone. You have to pre-pay for the room with a deposit!!! Isn’t this a serious hotel? Have they heard of internet? Credit cards? Technology? Anyway, I deposited the money and sent an email with the transfer confirmation to the email they gave me. I asked them to confirm the reception of the deposit. They never did, I had to call them to make sure the reservation was confirmed!!

When we got to the hotel we were received and introduced to Corina at the front desk. She offered us the spa’s menu containing all sorts of treatments and massages. My wife, very excited began asking questions about them. But being a keen negotiator, she first asked if there were late check-outs. Corina explained that there were 2 options: if late check-outs were available, we could keep our room as long as we were at treatments or massages; if there were no late check-outs then they could watch for our luggage, lend us some lockers and let us use a bathroom and a shower when needed. My wife agreed to reserve a treatment but we wanted to know if there were late check-outs before planning our next day. Corina told us she had to double check if a late check-out was an option. My wife stated that she would love to enjoy the day at the spa but that it all depended if we could leave the room later. Corina told us she was going to check with the manager and that she would give us a call to the room in a few minutes. That never happened!!!

Anyway we went to the wedding, had the time of our lives, came back to the hotel, slept and on the next morning, my wife woke up excited about her so long dreamed spa day. She immediately phoned the front desk, and again Corina picked up. My wife asked about the late check-out and Corina committed for the second time to give us a call in a few minutes. Corina never called back. My wife was so frustrated. If the managers decided not to give us a late check-out we were still going to do the spa day, we just needed an answer: Yer or No!! Yet Corina kept promising she would double check and give us an answer, and she didn’t!!!

Check-out was at 12:00, we decided to go to the front desk and confront Corina. The late check-out was a Yes or a No?? as simple as that!! She was so obnoxious!!! She didn’t care, she wouldn’t even listen. She just said “I’m sorry, I forgot to call you, but this is your bill” as she handed me the hotel bill. My wife cancelled the treatments she was going to take and we left with the feeling that they wanted us out ASAP. They lost $2,000 - $4,000 in treatments just because Corina didn’t give us an answer.

But the worst part is that the Hotel managers will never notice these big mistakes. As we asked for a complaint form, Corina gave us a used little piece of paper and asked us to write or comments on the back. According to Mexican laws (NOM) the hotel should provide means for a customer to send a complaint directly to the management team. It is obvious that Corina was not going to pass the complaint to her boss, if it was all about her rude attitude and bad service!!!

I would never recommend this Hotel, mi wife waited several months for this weekend. She dreamed with a lovely Sunday filled with relaxing activities; all we got was an expensive bill, a very small room and the worst service ever!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
ElChanteSpaHotel, Community Manager at El Chante Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear customer:

We are so sorry that you have had a bad experience in our spa. We are currently improving our customer service system that actually is in conjunction with our social media strategy.

This kind of actions is not part of the philosophy in our spa, for that reason we are going to notify this complaint directly to the Management Hotel.

El Chante Spa Hotel is always looking for complying the expectations of our customers and above all provide a total experience of health, peace and harmony.

Sincerely we send an apology and we hope you can get a better perception of our spa and our service.

We are at your service for any comments and we really thank your observations because it make us better every day.

Unfortunately this was an awful experience for you, but we make you sure that it is never going to happen again.

We send a warm greeting and again reiterate my most sincere apologies.

Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

Although this this hotel is beautfully located on the banks of Lake Chapala you DEFINITELY do not get what you pay for. I booked a lake view room which in itself was fine but for the price I paid expected a lot more. I also saw the other room in this 3 story hotel and they were small cramped and more like a 2 star hotel. But to make matters worse the service, with the exception of the two ladies at the front desk was AWFUL!!!!! Confirming a reservation was a nightmare in itself. From the general manager down to the front desk manager and the waiters, all without exception treat guests like intruders and anything you ask for is like pulling teeth wothout anesthisia. And don't dare ask for anything extra like feather pillows (which are available at any boutique hotel for free)...they wanted to charge USD$100.00 for them. The rooms service was downout RUDE getting annoyed when we did not open the door far enough for them to get the tray in!!!! No "goodmornings" or "excuse me" here!!! I travel easily 20 times a year some for business and some for leisure and this is by FAR the WORST SERVICE I have ever experienced!!!! Unless you wish to throw your money away DO NOT STAY at this hotel. Boutique hotels should be ashamed of having this hotel on it's list and I will also be writing to them. And if you do not count the service, the actual hotel is worth about USD$49.99 a night not the outrageous rate of USD320.00 a night they charged.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Dear customer:

We are so sorry that you have had a bad experience in our spa. We are currently improving our customer service system, our facilities and other amenities. Also we are improving our social media strategy and our customer service online.

Unfortunately this was an unfortunate experience for you, but we make you sure that it is never going to happen again.

We send a warm greeting and again reiterate my most sincere apologies.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

during my brief stay at El Chante i experienced a lot. from the cultural, physical, and emotional experience of the sweat lodge to the ultra-relaxing massage experience, i had a great time. the staff go out of their way to make sure all your needs are met. the rooms were uniquely decorated, elegant, and comfortable. if you want a relaxing time away from it all, this is the place.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Dear customer:

Thanks for sharing your comments with us. We always try to be constantly improving our services, facilities, therapies and the care and attention that we provide to our customers.

We appreciate your choice and thank you for allowing El Chante Spa Hotel to be with you in that moment of relaxation, rest and inner search that you needed.

Each action and item that you found in El Chante Spa Hotel is endowed with the heritage and symbols of our ancestors, that's why you can breathe an atmosphere full of health, peace and harmony.

We are at your service and look forward to your upcoming visit.

Attentively

Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

Our stay at El Chante was simply amazing. This luxurious boutique hotel on Lake Chapala is the perfect escape to get in tune with your spiritual self and to enjoy a wide variety of spa treatments. the rooms were very comfortable and the staff was amazing.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
ElChanteSpaHotel, com at El Chante Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear customer:

We are at your service and look forward to your upcoming visit.
Attentively

El Chante Spa Hotel

Been to El Chante Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!