TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

“Loved it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Los Dos Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jocotepec
Los Dos Bed and Breakfast
You added Los Dos Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
191 Calle Rico | Nestipac, Jocotepec CP45800, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Jocotepec B&B and Inns
Honolulu
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

A friend and I came here for a relaxing weekend away from studying in Guadalajara last fall. It was a very memorable and fantastic experience. Phyllis, the owner is a godsend and a wonderful person to sit and have a chat with...overlooking the beautiful gardens and views of Lake Chapala. The energy of this place is very tranquil and relaxing. We spent some time in the sun by the pool or just cruised into town to get some groceries and look around. I will definitely go back if I am ever in the area....it's worth the trip!!

• Liked — The general relaxing and cozy atmosphere
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2008

We spent 4 nights in Jan 2008 at the Los Dos B&B in Jocotepec on Lake Chapala. Better than a B&B, they have indivdual apartments for rent, with stove refrig and all cooking utensials.

The apartment we stayed in had a loft bedroom overlooking the living room, off of which they had a patio deck overlooking the pool, the moutains and a view of the Lake. Also, off the living room, they had a complete kitchen.

Sitting on the side of a hill, with amazing views, and lush semi-tropical landscaping. Far enough from AjIjic and Chapella to seem remote, yet just a short drive or busride to eiather location.

Our host, Phylis, served us breakfast every morning, included in the price of the rental. She also gave us advice on what to see during our stay. At $80 a night, it was the best value we've encountered in 2 seperate trips to Mexico. Just wish we had allocated more of our 2.5 week vacation here. Looking forward to going back next winter.

• Liked — The owner and price
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
garvs02
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2007

I am currently a student studying in Guadalajara and went to stay at Los Dos for a weekend to get away from all the city elements. Los Dos is the perfect spot for a relaxing weekend with an at home atmosphere. The room I stayed in was gorgeous and very clean. The area is surrounded by pretty flowers and an amazing view of the mountains and lake Chapala. There are nearby pueblos for daily shopping and cute places to curve your appetite. There is a nice pool for relaxing and taking in some sun. The breakfast is tasty and Phillis is always happy to help you with anything you may need. I felt very at home and welcome in this quaint bed and breakfast. I will be returning very soon.

• Liked — The friendly atmosphere and cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
Washington, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

Our 2-wk stay at Los Dos was very enjoyable. Nestled into the hills overlooking Jocotepec and Lake Chapala, you are surrounded by a floral wonderland. Nearby public transportation allows you to be "auto free" and Phyllis, the hostess, is very helpful in recommending daily activities and other staff members are very accommodating. Not only do you get a bed and breakfast here, but you have an entire suite, including a sitting room, porch or balcony, and full kitchen allowing you to buy fresh fruits, vegetables, etc., at the local markets and dine in. There are suites available to accommodate almost any size family and most showcase Phyllis's late husband's paintings. Whether you decide to see the local tourist spots or just lounge by the pool with a good book and enjoy the scenery, your stay at Los Dos is sure to be memorable.

• Liked — Off the beaten path; scenery; inter-action with hostess; get more than just a bedroom
  • Disliked — TV reception is rather limited
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

When I first arrived at Los Dos last March, after an aggravating transfer between bus terminals in Guadalajara, a slow bus ride into Jocotepec, and a bumpy taxi ride up the cobbled streets to Los Dos, I was thinking "This had better be worth it". Within an hour of being there, I was wishing that I could stay for far longer than the three days I had booked.
The setting is idyllic: the views down the hillside and across to the lake, the beautiful grounds, and the houses on the property. To say that there are "4 rooms" is really misleading, as they are all suites with bedroom(s), living rooms and kitchens. I was fortunate to have the "Marble Suite", attached to Georg's studio, which was beautiful and very spacious. Every morning I sat out at the table on my porch, with a coffee and some fruit, reading, talking with Manuel as he tended the garden and the pool, and just enjoying the ambiance before going up to the main house for an interesting breakfast and conversation with the other guests.
Phyllis is a gracious and helpful hostess. Another guest and I went with her to the market in the little community of San Juan Cosala one morning, and another afternoon Phyllis dropped me off in Ajijic. (Next time I shall rent a car!)
One of the things I really enjoyed being able to do was to pick citrus fruits - guests from the south wouldn't find this so wonderful, but for those of us from the frozen north, it is a real thrill.
I was really sad when I had to leave Los Dos. I felt that I had only just begun to discover the interesting artefacts around the gardens, and to explore the surrounding area. Nevertheless, I was relaxed and restored ... and very jealous of Phyllis having such a lovely home.

• Liked — Just about everything.
  • Disliked — Unless you like hiking up and down cobbled streets, you really need a car.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

In March 2007 I spent a wonderful week of R & R at Los Dos B & B. Owner Phyllis, couldn't have been more friendly. Phyllis recently lost her artist husband Georg but welcomed me to view the paintings in Georg's studio. Phyllis also invited me to go to water aerobics with her at a gorgeous thermal pool near by. My room was charming, decorated with delightful Mexican handicrafts, and Georg's fabulous paintings. Breakfasts on the terrace overlooking Lake Chapala and the mountains were delicious, with interesting conversations, and lots of laughter. The staff at Los Dos; Manuel, Mari, & Rita are the best. I purchased Georg's memoir, The Jew With The Iron Cross thinking this is not the kind of book I usually read, but was fascinated and moved by his story. I would (will) return to Los Dos B & B in a heartbeat, and award Los Dos the highest ratings.

• Liked — The view and laid back atmosphere.
  • Disliked — No shopping.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

We’ve just returned from our 6th visit to Los Dos over the past 11 years.
It is hard to say what draws us back to this little Paradise every 2nd year;
The breathtaking setting overlooking Lake Chapala,
The hospitality of our hostess Phyllis Rauch,
The efficiency and helpfulness of her staff Rita, Maria and Manuel, who keep the grounds and facilities in immaculate condition,
Or the cutest and most lovable collection of cats and dogs we’ve ever encountered.
Even though we missed Georg Rauch, who passed away last year, we constantly felt his presence by looking at his great paintings that are decorating every room and by visiting his studio which is kept the way it was when he was still alive.
We sure hope to return many more times, Los Dos is very special to us.

• Liked — Location and people
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Los Dos Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!