I stayed here for an extended period, so I should share my experiences. The rooms themselves are not awful, if lacking a little in refurbishment: decent size, a/c works, TV, fridge (noisy!), no mosquitoes. The restaurant, if expensive, also produces very good food although I have been reliably informed that this has declined somewhat since the old chef left in 2012.
Now on to the problems. There are so many it is easier to list them.
1. I can confirm earlier posts that the rooms facing the back of the hotel are very noisy, particularly at night, with the aforementioned factory, and particularly packs of barking dogs throwing in their two cents' worth. Housekeeping staff work noisily on the second floor from 4am. If you are given a room facing the back, or anything on the second floor, refuse it for these reasons.
2. I had money stolen from my room while I was out. To be fair to the management they did agree to knock the stolen amount from my bill, although I wonder if this would have been the case if I wasn't staying at the arrangement of my friend who is a relative of somebody high up in the hotel management. If it wasn't for his persuasion I would have left. The hotel reception did not bother to tell me that they have safety deposit lockers at reception until AFTER the money was stolen.
3. The room boys, despite being prime candidates for stealing my money, still hankered for tips after the incident for providing things you don't ask for or need. A particularly sneaky tactic is waiting until you return to the hotel in the evening where they follow you into the room proffering fresh towels when they have been replaced earlier in the day!
4. After having the cheek to actually complain about having money stolen, I did not have my room cleaned for 4 days despite requesting this every day at reception, and then only at periods of roughly three days following this.
5. I had "prank" phone calls early in the morning from reception at 6:30am two mornings in a row. The explanation was that they misdialled housekeeping - odd as two of the three digits were different.
6. Room service food choice is poor outside of breakfast and dinner meal hours - effectively either a salad or cheese sandwich.
7. The bathroom is not the cleanest I've ever seen and they are very stingy on the loo roll and shower gel (particuarly if you're not getting your room cleaned!)
8. The restaurant and breakfast bar lets itself down with its overbearing staff, sometimes outnumbering the customers by 3 to 1, and often these staff do not let you eat your dinner in peace.
9. Very few of the hotel staff speak good English, or even understand basic spoken English.
Normally, with the exception of the stolen money, most of these things in isolation wouldn't bother me. Yet, it is the combination of factors, the fact that the hotel gets almost everything it tries to do wrong, and the pretense that this hotel holds itself up to be something it isn't that makes me expect much better, and charges exorbitant prices to match. I got what was apparently a big discount on the listed price due to my long term stay and through my friend, but still paid way over the odds.
Do I expect too much? I don't think so. I have stayed in hotels in India which have been much better in both quality and service, and of course paid a fraction of the price.
Hotel Grace is practically next door. It is cheaper, has better reviews, and really it would have to try hard to be worse than this place.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, TripOnline SA and Booking.com so you can book your Hotel Landmark reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Landmark Hotel Gwalior