“Decent food near the Diefenbunker” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bakery, Coffee Shop, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Toronto
“Decent food near the Diefenbunker”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stopped there for lunch after a tour of the Diefenbunker. I was surprised by how high the prices I were for things as simple as a sandwich - $9 for a grilled cheese. Ok, the sandwich was above average but the chips it was served with we're only average kettle-style. We also all ordered the daily soup (lentil), which was hearty but again, only ok. The diningroom itself was pleasant, but the experience was marred by the blowing cold air registers and the annoying flies buzzing around. You could do worse for lunch but I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way for this place. Then again, there wasn't much else around either...

Visited August 2013

90% Recommend
Chetwynd, Canada
“What a gem near the deifenbunker”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Plan to stop if youre heading to Ottawa from west or visiting the Diefenbunker in Carp! this place is a gem! Excellent coffee and tea.. Delicious soups, paninis, wraps and desserts. We stopped in and ate on the patio. Loved it!

Visited August 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“best coffee in the region”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I discovered Alice's in May 2013 and have tried the cappucino, latte, and au lait.
Hands down the best coffee place in the Capital area. Coffee comes from Equator Coffee in Almonte.
In the same league as Brulerie St. Denis in Montreal or Manic Coffee in Toronto, and far above what you get in the best coffee chains. I am not commenting on the food as I'm only knowledgeable about coffee, but the food has never disappointed.
Worth the 4 km drive from the 417, or by bicycle, 47 km from Parliament Hill.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
chelsea qc
“Lovely night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

After reading all the great reviews, I decided to try Alice's Village Cafe in "downtown" Carp Ontario. I went to the restaurant for a girls night out with my daughter and daughters-in-law. We loved the friendliness of the servers and the dining room was quaint and rustic. Great menu, we chose different dishes, salmon, pork tenderloin, veggie stack and Fitzroy Burger, All food items were fantastic. This was followed by absolutely to die for desserts... including carrot cake with cinnamon cream cheese icing, nanaimo bar. All this for very reasonable prices. We will definitely return.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa, Canada
“Alice's continues to grow and gets better and better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have eaten at Alice's Village Cafe numerous times this Spring and, I must say, it seems to improve with every visit. Alice's has become the hub of West Carleton and is always busy. Since the temporary demise of the Cheshire Cat, the menu at Alice's has expanded greatly. They are now serving breakfast (delicious breakfast sandwiches plus much more) and dinner several nights a week (check with them first about serving hours). At lunch, Alice's always offers 2 daily soups and quiches. All are fresh and delicious. I have also had several of their melts. The most recent was a mouth-watering mushroom-brie on sourdough bread. They serve what is probably the best burger in the Ottawa valley. It is wonderful. Alice's has some of the most original and best tasting desserts around. The other day I shared the most wonderful Lemon Nanaimo bars. Wow! The only down-side to Alice's is still the noise. The accoustics are terrible and it is often very difficult to hear what your companions are saying. On the other hand, they have a lovely little gazebo area outside at the back with a nice view of the Carp Valley and will happily set you up with a table and chairs out there in nice weather. Some of the very best customer service I have ever experienced. Alice's is a gem and we are lucky to have such a lovely place in our midst.

• Visited May 2013