“Value for money if you get it cheap” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Paramount Aparthotel

Save Saved
You added Paramount Aparthotel to your Saves list
Paramount Aparthotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Konnou 7 | PO Box 37004, Protaras, Paralimni 5306, Cyprus   |
Ranked #54 of 65 hotels in Protaras
Kent
“Value for money if you get it cheap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

Me and my husband booked this very last minute from the internet and really didnt pay much for the week we had. The hotel itself is quite nice and although the room was not exactly spotless the hotel grounds and other areas were. The staff are really lovely and so cheerful and friendly. We had the hotel to ourself for the first 3 days which was bliss, but then it got busy with people from Norway, also very nice. The food was terrible and the poor chief thought he was Gordon Ramsey, he comes out every meal time for your approval on the the food.we didnt have the heart to tell him it was horrible and almost always cold. But saying all this we would go back and we loved the hotel and staff. If i had paid more than £350 - £400 for the AI i would have cried at the quality of the place but as we didnt we felt we got what we paid for. If you go , go out of season and it will be a much nicer holiday. The weather was roasting (June) and we just had a lovely peaceful rest and came back home feeling like we had a good holiday.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
chorley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

We paid £385 all inclusive for one week and for this price you get what you pay for. We read all the reviews and were a little worried but I like to think I am very pragmatic and logical and an experienced traveller and therefore will give quite a factual review.

Firstly check in was a bit hit and miss but I think that was just because of the individual on reception. He didnt explain anything to us about meal times, explained nothing about the hotel and even forgot to give us our All Inclusive band until I asked. Despite all this he was a very pleasant young man and spoke quite good english. Lina and Dobi the bar managers are wonderful and really know how to please customers - their english is inpeccable and they really believe in service; they had their hands full as they had a couple of lazy waiters especially one woman who started as a new employee and was more interested in flirting with the chef. I felt sorry for Martin the waiter who looks stoned all the time, he made loads of mistakes and constantly got orders wrong, but he was a pleasant young man but didnt speak very good english. Breakfast was a buffett with the difference being one day scrambled egg the next fried - it was certainly edible but often cold - a few people complained about this but the chef insisted it wasnt. One day I came down and the toaster was broken and the second day the coffee machine broke, Lina was embarrassed that both times I had found these things. The orange juice from the machines was foul - I love OJ and have every day but I could not drink that but family thought the Grapefruit juice was OK. Surprisingly they had good tea and coffee. The pool area is cleaned every morning by a herd of cleaners with a hose pipe and they dont aim the water towards the pool they clean towards the bushes but I did think the sides of the pool were revolting - we could write our name in the dirt - but that aside when your hot and need a cool dip things like seem irrelevant. There were only about 4 english families the rest were norweigans with young families resulting to the two pools being closed for a day because somebody had an accident (of the faecal kind) in both pools, the hotel reacted quickly though to their credit. They play poolside music but its the same CD and you hear the same songs over and over and over again, it drives you mad, I asked them to change it and then they played that over and over (and the next day and the next) and everytime you ask them to change it they just play the same one from the day before. They did say they are so busy they dont hear the music so dont be afraid to ask them to change the music.

Entertainment - Protaras is only about 10 minutes on a bus that goes every 10 minutes from the front of the hotel. There is a nice beach within walking distance and a small SPAR type supermarket down the road other than that there isnt much else around. Entertainment in the evening is well non-existant most nights - we did see a parrot show on the Sunday night (then they bring the parrots round for photos for money), Wednesday saw Mimi the singer who was very good but likes lots of audience participation, she comes into the audience so there is nowhere to hide, and a crappy greek dancing team of 4 on Friday where one of them holds the world record for how many glasses he can walk around with on his head - good for a few minutes but it was boring.

The food variety was quite good especially for somebody like myself who doesnt cook at home so I am usually grateful for anything - the two theme nights (BBQ, Greek night and Cyprus night) the food was different and I enjoyed that. The chef is very friendly and flirty and comes around all night asking if you have enjoyed the food - he was very sweet - puddings were quite nice as well. But you do get the same sort of food every day but I guess you have to please all kinds of people, always chips, chicken nuggets, rice, fish (in soggy batter) and a salad bar that does have some different kinds of salads.

As we walked down the corridor to our room I worried, the corridor had a worn out carpet, we often saw cock roaches in them and it stank so I was dreading opening my room door, but I was pleasantly surprised and it was really clean inside.

One thing to note is that not all guests are all inclusive so they do have 2 menus, one for all inclusive and a much tastier one for paying guests!!!

The manager and staff of this hotel are very friendly and try to do all they can to make your holiday better - but if I had paid 600 or £700 pp I would have been very upset at the standard of this hotel - but for a cheapie we found it ok - and we are normally quite fussy.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Bedfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

We liked the Paramount. It is typically basic like lots of Greek accommodation but clean and friendly. We had an apartment but went all inclusive and the food was lovely. Buffet style, there were fresh salads every day as well as a couple of choices of hot food. The hotel was mainly occupied by Norwiegen families who were all very friendly. There was entertainment 4 nights out of the seven we were there and was ok. The air con in our room was fantastic. Shower lovely. The beaches are beautiful and close to the hotel and the sea is crystal clear. Protaras is a half an hour walk away which didnt bother us as we are used to walking but may be a bit far if you are not. My only gripe would be that the hotel only seemed to have a few cds which it played all day and night. Not really a reason to prevent us from recommending it to you!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
fleet hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

we (family of four) had a great time at the paramount,was a bit worried before we went after reading some of the reports on here, we thought it was a lovely hotel,nice and cool with air con through out,hotel staff really friendly,room cleaned nearly eveyday,to very high standard,pool was great no problems getting sunbeds,
evening entertainment most nights also very high standard,its true it is quite a walk to the main town we walked in most nights,with children age 11 and 13, taxi back most nights normally about 7 or 9 euros all the drivers we had were friendly and a good sorce of local knowlege,It is mainly norwegian guests but as there a really nice race of people better behaved than us brits or germans its probley a bonus, we meet other english there and made lots of friends, The food at the pool bar is good value and delicious but didnt eat from the evening menue,bit pricey for me but looked nice,drinks are a bit dear from the bar but the hotel shop sells cold beer and only up a few steps from the pool. If you want a nice relaxing hol you will have a good time,if you want bora bora you need a hotel in the town center!

• Liked — clean/ air con/staff
  • Disliked — bar prices
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lincolnshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

We booked this hotel as a family with four young people (we foster) via the internet as a value break. The original review on this hotel was excellent so I was thrilled. However there had been many subsequent bad reviews and as our holiday loomed ever closer I got really worried. I even contacted a trip advisor member who had been to the hotel to check if it really was as "bad as they all make out".

It wasn't! The other member put my mind at rest and we arrived, armed with a fair bit of local knowledge about building work and the walk into town, so we weren't too shocked. I also wrote to the hotel management before we went, and received excellent information from them. Very helpful.

I'll take it a chunk at a time so you don't all get bored!

Building Work

The road is being replaced, but during the high season work had ceased. It is a minor inconvenience, and requires you to watch your step as you walk for about two minutes. It's really not a big deal. Also most if not ALL of Cyprus appears to be a building site of part and half finished houses/malls/hotels etc, so it's not like this is out of place in any way. There is building work going on next door, but apart from our last day on 3rd September, there had been no work going on there at all and it didn't interfere with our enjoyment at all. I didn't really notice the building site, because I was too busy sunning myself, swimming or watching what the kids were up to.

Accommodation & Staff

We've stayed in a variety of hotels, from five star to two star and all over the greek islands, and I would say that this is well above average for a "Greek" self catering apartment. The bathroom has a proper bath with shower over, and nice tiles, and looks really quite decent. I've had a shower head over the loo before in an alleged 3 star in Skiathos!!! We were impressed. The sink is in a vanity unit and the maid comes in and cleans each day, so it's always nice and clean and plenty of loo roll. The kitchenette in the lounge area is not terribly well equipped if you really want to self cater. There's no colander (for draining rice or pasta) so if you're not that adept at using the pan with lid for draining, your pasta ends up in the sink (yep it happened to me!!). I took my own knifes and a big cook pot (as I knew cooking for six would be a problem), however the cooking pots were adequate. Cups and glasses were a bit limited and we swapped between our rooms to ensure we had enough but it was ok. If we had asked the reception they would have sorted it out immediately. They were very helpful, but we didn't want to bother them as we had made do anyway.

The beds were basic but ok, the sofa bed was apparently more comfortable than the put-you-up zed-bed efforts they put the lads on. There is free air con in the bedroom but if you want aircon in the lounge it's 4 Euro's a day extra.
The staff in the hotel are really friendly and helpful, especially Elias and Dobie at the pool bar! The reception staff are also friendly and helpful. We were very impressed. Most, if not all staff, spoke really good English, apart from the cleaning staff who didn't speak much at all. Some of the staff were slovakian - the girls were lovely, always cheerful and smiling and very helpful. Their English was much better than my greek or slovakian and we got on well, the lad (Denis) doesn't speak much English at all, but he tries bless him!

The Prices in Cyprus

Ok, I don't wish to sound penny pinching or anything, but we budget to take all our kids away each year and we were thrilled to have got a good deal on the hotel and flights in Cyprus. What we hadn't realised was that since the Euro's arrival, the cost of everything seems to have quadrupled! If you are planning to go to Cyprus and stay ANYWHERE self catering you should be aware of the prices.

The local supermarkets were charging E3.60 for a small jar of pasta sauce (we needed three). E8.50 for a tin of meatballs (we would have needed three of these as well, one would serve two people approx - this was the worst value we found in the local supermarket. Local Produce and non imported goods were much cheaper). Ice creams in the hotel ranged from an affordable E1.10 for one scoop of Vanilla, Strawb, Banana or choc in a cone, but if you wanted a Magnum or Cornetto etc, you'd be looking at over 3 Euro's for an Ice Cream. I spose it's coz they have to import these things.

We were a party of six. We're not big drinkers, in fact we bought ourselves some cans of beer rather than drink at bars, and socialised with friends round the pool in the evenings. However, we were averaging 150 Euro's a day on food alone. That's not eating steaks, just salads, bolognese, pizza, chips etc. If you're going to Cyprus, please budget for the huge price hike or you'll get a shock like we did!

Hotel Food

The Lunch menu was of quite a high standard. There were variances, you could notice that there were different chefs. The chicken salad was gorgeous, as was the chicken sandwich, an enormous baguette, stuffed with an entire chicken breast, and copious salad served with chips. They will try to accommodate you in whatever you want. We only had one evening meal in the Hotel, which was ok, but not as good value as the lunch menu. We didn't partake of the hotel buffet, which costs 15 Euros a head for an adult (over 12) so we felt we could get better value elsewhere. I must mention Anatolia's at the far end of Protaras (past McDonalds). Their food was outstanding value and of a very high standard and enormous portions!

Entertainment

The evening entertainment during our stay (high season) was really surprisingly good. There were dance acts, a silly juggler - not their best moment but the kids liked him, a Parrot Show, a Motown Show, a Beatles Tribute band, a Music and Musicals Show and on the whole the standard was really quite good. Certainly much better than I was expecting in a little self catering apartment 3km out of Protaras.

In Protaras itself there's a wonderful selection of entertainment and restaurants. Notable BEST restaurant in Town for value, for choice and for quality of food and service is Anatolia (opposite the Big Red Indian). The Sfinx does an incredbile Drag/Acrobatic/dancing Show (free entry but expensive drinks pay for the show - they do specials all evening as well, so you might get lucky!. Don't miss it, it's really Ace! Best karaoke bar is Zodiac (buy one get one free on drinks!!) and also the DJ girl is lovely! Unlike the guy at the Bells over the road who is rude and arrogant. The Love Boat is great also!

Anything Else?

If you are thinking of going to Protaras, I would certainly not hesitate to recommend the Paramount Aparthotel. You do need to take on board what's been said. This is NOT a hotel for young people wanting to go out in town and have a good time. Not unless you want to get a taxi in to town every night. We did walk it and ended up with huge blisters on all our feet! We got a limo-taxi in the end for 10 Euro's each way.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm more than happy to share any experience or local knowledge with anyone who's going. Have fun!

• Liked — It was big enough that we weren't the only family there, but small enough to keep an eye on the kids! It was perfect for us.
  • Disliked — Lack of adequate cooking facilities for a self catering break. Good Enough for a simple pasta or rice meal, but two rings was difficult for six of us.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

Very basic, bathroom dated and needed a good scrub. Air conditioning had to be repaired 3 times...bathroom ceiling fell down...food was AWFUL...entertainment was very poor...same CD over and over and over all day every day....thank god for the sunshine !! Oh and its a building site....need I say more ! Dont go there....

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

I have just got back from the Paramount and can't believe some of the reviews here! Did these people stay in the same place????

I have good standards like most people and have been here 3 times before, but some people seem to moan at the slightest thing! The last review talked about building work all round... Well, yes the road is being made up so it's 1% inconvenient to walk on a few stones as a pavement, but the actual buuilding work is not on for the summer so no noice nothing!

The housing development behind is well away and hidden out of sight also no work is going on and so therefore it does not disturb you so what's the problem?

The apartment I was in was clean, tidy and no problems. Not luxury no but didn't pay a lot for this holiday so got what I paid for -basic but clean.

The distance to protaras was a problem for us, as we weren't all in and just as well as food looked Ok at best, so travelling into town was costly every day and night.

A lot of Norwegians here and din't know about the kids club discrimination as didn't have young kids.

To be safe if you want a holiday all inclusive, in the town or near the beaches and action, and also don't want kids involved in kids club don't come here.

If you want a basic but good apartment, and yuo will eat out all the time and not bothered about distance or having to walk on a few stones due to the road being made up and are prepared to accept you get what you pay for, then these apartments are fine. I think some of the other reviews are well exagerrated!

• Liked — Good value accomodation
  • Disliked — Distance to Protaras
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Paramount Aparthotel? Share your experiences!