“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 66 Hotels in Protaras
Cork, Ireland
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

It is really nice place to stay. You have nice pool area with bar, where you can buy food and drinks. Rooms were quite big and were cleaned everyday. Staff was very frinedly and you have few pubs just at the corner, but we felt their were more expensive than those in protaras. I was there with my friends and we felt that the area was very quiet and beach wasn't great, hotel is about 20 min walk from main protaras as it is in paralimni. we have got bus few days and went to nissi beach which is magnificent. Cyprus us great fun and food.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011 via mobile

We have just returned home from a brilliant 2 week stay at the Papantonia! 2 adults and 2 children aged 15 and 6.

I was concerned about only having air con in the bedroom but after no mention in reviews I went ahead and booked. There was no need to worry the air con in the bedroom cooled all of the apartment and made it a comfortable temperature. If anything some nights we were too cold!

The rooms were basic but comfortable. They could do with modernising but they are kept very clean.

The staff were always very helpful and couldn't do enough. If there was ever an issue it was always sorted promptly!

The entertainers worked very hard, Danny and Kelly to keep everybody entertained. They did have to deal with a very abusive holiday maker who moaned about the noise from the bar, but we had a poolside view over the nightly entertainment and we all managed to sleep through when we wanted an early night! The music always finished by midnight and some nights earlier! The person who moaned was ok to have the noise on nights he wanted it!!!!!!

There were always sunbeds available around the poolside! Some people did get up early to reserve but this isn't necessary! For all day sun get the beds opposite the bar, we sat there in the sun until after 6pm most nights!

The pools were always cleaned every morning, some days the water was clearer than others this depended on amount of people using and sun cream!!! Some of our swimwear did turn yellow from chlorine this was due to hotels in Cyprus conserving energy so more chlorine was used this was tested daily and always a safe level..... Be prepared for some discolouration, don't wear White!!!

Craig the holiday rep was really knowledgable about the island and could recommend places to visit and restaurants to eat in!

Overall a brilliant 2 week stay! Excellent value for money, for a 3 star hotel!!!

• Stayed September 2011
paralimni
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I am actually writing this from the hotel, and I am so angry that the room I am staying in has very poor air conditioning. It is boiling hot, and so I am having to stay in the room next door with the rest of my family. We booked two rooms back to back, and so we are all squashed in there. Also, the noise from the so called entertainment is deafening. To sum up, a waste of my hard earned money. Never again!!!!!!!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We have just arrived back from 11 nights at the Papantonia (10th ~ 21st August 2011).

Yes the hotel is a bit dated but it is a 3 star but more importantly it was clean and in a great location between Pernera and Protaras.

On arrival we were given our keys to room 325 which is the top floor with a pool and sea view - I had emailed the hotel a week before arriving which seemed to do the trick so I would recommend you do this if this is what you'd prefer.

The room was a little disappointing as air / con only in bedroom and not in lounge - my wife and two daughters slept in the bedroom and I slept in the room but had hired a huge fan from reception which helped (14 euro & 20 euro deposit which I go back on the last day). I think people need to remember that this is a 3 star hotel and ultimately you only sleep in your room.

We also paid 2 euro for an extra key which we left in the slot 24hrs a day and this allowed the air / con to stay on all the time and meant the whole apartment stayed nice and cool. If you haven't been to Cyprus before then in July and August it averages 35 degrees in the day.

Regarding food, I can't comment as we stayed self catering and not all inclusive so we eat out each night.

The pools were good sized and cleaned everyday although not the cleanest to be honest. We also never once had to get down early for a sunbed - there was always beds available no matter what time of the day you needed them.

There is also good entertainment day and night for both children and adults. The entertainments team (Kelly & Danny) work so hard even though there is only two of them
- really need at least one more to help out as they seemed to work from approx. 11am to 12am everyday.

There is a beach approx a 5min walk - Marlita beach but is quite small and rocky but great for snorkelling and watersports. There is also a great water part in the Anastacia Hotel which is a 5min walk.

Many pubs and places to eat on the doorstep if you didn't want to venture into Pernera or Protaras. The Station, The Spectrum (where I watched all the sports), Only Fools & Horses and Marlito.

There is also a boardwalk which runs along the beach which goes all the way into Protaras and a leisurely stroll will get you there in around 15 ~ 20mins. This boardwalk also has a selection of bars and resturants along it.

Main places to eat in Protaras - Only Fools and Horses, Red Indian, Flintstones.
Main places for good entertainment in Protaras - Ghetto Bar, Sphinx
Main acts to catch - Outrageous Misfits, Abba, Elvis and Micheal Jackson.
Main Places to eat in Pernera - The Spectrum, The Station, Windmills, Speedy Gonzales (Mexican)

All in all a great holiday with everything you need on your doorstep.

Craig, our rep was fantastic, very helpful and knowledgeable.

Things to do - Water Park in Anastasia, Trip to Farmagusta (all day) and hire a car.
We hired a Jeep from Platon at 34 euro a day and visited the Troodos mountains, Fig Tree Bay, Nissi Beach and many others including the church under ground.

The Papantonia was a great base and I would certainly recommend it.

Regards from the Hughes Family (Cardiff)

Room Tip: Email hotel prior to arriving and request higher room with pool view. If you are on the 3rd floor yo...
ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Only returned after spending 2 weeks,travelling with my husband and 2 children 13 and 12. I have to say that when we arrived we were given our room key (232) which is looking out over the car park, we were not one bit happy. We went back down to reception and said I was not taking this room and wanted another and I was told that I would have to wait and see the manager in the morning. First thing next morning I spoke to the manager and he said that their wasn't any more room available but when my husband went down all of a sudden there was one ready, which moved us to a pool view on the ground floor. I never take a room on the ground floor I would rather be up a little higher but we were told that all the other rooms were in use, but I got that very hard to believe. We had to pay €25 to change.This is mainly for the maids to clean the room again. The room we changed to was (007) it was very clean, and the view was good. You do not get enough storage space in the bedroom. Its €28 for the safe box for 2 weeks and €15 for one week. The maid we had she was good but had bad mornings she would go round banging doors and some times she would only make our bed and would not make the kids beds. Our welcome meeting went very well and one thing I have to say that Craig was very good in all the information he gave. The entertainers were fantastic Danny and Kelly, its not fair that there is only 2 of them there should be a lot more they did the best they could. Danny is very good at the break dancing. There is no need in getting up early for a sunbed as thier is plenty for everyone. The supermarket is very close and there is also a good pub right beside it called The Station Bar, it has very good acts on every night eg, The Outragious Missfits, The Blues Brothers, Drag acts, Micheal Jackson and followed by karako that goes on until 1.30am. I would recommend the Fools and Horses for the Sunday roast dinners in beef or chicken only €7. I would also recommend another very nice restaurant called "Oscar" across from McDonalds sign in Protaras. The Ripples Cocktails Bar and snacks is also another lovery place to eat. I would say that a trip to the Waterpark in a must for everyone its very good. We booked this trought Craig because you were colledcted and dropped off without any bother. We also booked The Black Pearl Pirate Boat, now this was very good and well worth it.

Room Tip: When checking in ask for a pool view.
brownowl88
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Well we weren't due to stay here, but got transferred when our apartments weren't ready. The staff are brilliant, Danny and Kelly the entertainment true, do everything they can to get you involved with whats going on. They make friends with everyone and with limited resources do their best to provide the best entertainment possible. The food is fantastic, lots of choice, different every night, we all put on loads of weight, could not complain. The hotel is a little dated and certain parts need refurbishment, would defo go back once this has been done. Beware if you book a one bed apartment the air con is only in the bedroom, we had to hire a fan for the other room my kids were staying in. They also had a problem with the pool and some of the guests hair turned green, which is due to the chemicals, so becareful. All in all a great holiday, Lloyd and Emma at the bar are both great people too, receptionist does everything she can to help, only a three star though. I am sure you will enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: All the rooms the same.
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed at the papatonia in june so my review is a little late, sorry. I feel that I have to start with the entertainment staff. Danny and Kelly from one stop entertainment were simply fantastic and worked extremely hard to keep adults and children entertained from about 10 in the morning til 10 at night!! (Kelly also enjoys the odd water fight and being thrown in the pool by the kids!).
The kids club reps Dorey and Sam were so good at their jobs that we had to arrange our holiday around my daughters social life at the club. There was certainly alot of variety within all the entertainment and if there is something missing from the entertainment timetable, all you have to do is mention it to the reps and they will me more than happy to accommodate if possible, as they did with my son when all he wanted was a game of football.
As others have already mentioned, the rooms are a little dated with minimal hanging space but they are clean and comfortable which is all you need. The food was lovely, we were half board and ate in the restaurant every night. Again, the restaurant and bar staff were very friendly and all too willing to help if you needed anything.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a good family and for the kids to have a time to remember (my two both cried because they didn’t want to come home). I would definitely return next year, fantastic value for money.

Room Tip: ask for a pool view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Papantonia Hotel Apartments? Share your experiences!