“Things you should know.” 2 of 5 stars

Tsokkos Gardens Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Athinas 18 Paralimni, Protaras, Paralimni 5311, Cyprus   |
Ranked #38 of 66 Hotels in Protaras
liverpool
“Things you should know.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I came to Tsokkos Gardens for my daughters wedding via Thomas Cook.

I arrived at the hotel on a scheduled flight at about 11.30 pm. After booking in, I went to the bar to find that the All Inclusive deal ended at midnight. So the first drink I had on my holiday I had to pay for. I'm not stingy or anything but considering that I was on a scheduled flight and the hotel knew holiday makers were arriving, no provisions were made for us.

Oh..I asked for a bite to eat and was given a cheese sandwich from the fridge. Then at 1pm the lights went out and the bar closed!

So I went across the road to the Station Bar and had a few beers instead.

The rooms are OK and the towels were changed everyday. The only complaint here is that sometimes my room was not cleaned until late afternoon and one time I locked myself in. (hey, you gotta have a siesta right?).

By Far my biggest complaint is the last day of my holiday. I was due to leave the hotel at 22.45 that night. I was told that I would have to be out of the room at midday. This meant a whopping 10.45 hours without a room.

To add insult to injury I was also informed that the last day of my All Inclusive had now become half board because I was only entitled to either lunch or dinner. I was given a voucher to hand over at whichever meal I attended.....(to be honest, I ordered a pannini at the hut by the pool at 11.30am and used the voucher for dinner)

The biggest saving grace was the entertainment staff. They are amateurs and as such give it everything they've got. Their enthusiasm is very infectious. I don't know where they get their energy from. In my opinion they made my holiday. If they are reading this then a big thank you is in order to Ainslee, Elyce and Paris.

I have written to Thomas Cook with my complaints. The flight was great there and back, the coach was great there and back, but the hotel let TC and me down badly.

No welcome at the hotel
No all inclusive on arrival from scheduled flight
Bar closed at 1pm every night
No hotel room for 10.45 hours on the last day.
All Inclusive became half board on last day. (Can someone explain this??)

If you have kids, be aware. The Kids Club was closed in September when I went. To be fair, I received a letter 4 weeks before the holiday informing me of this...but I had booked 18 months prior.

The entertainment staff made games in the afternoon for the kids and adults but there was nothing for the kids to do in the evening...except play pool, table tennis or air soccer. And this cost a fortune...2 euros per game.

Would I come back?

Definately not to Tsokkos Gardens. Like I said Thomas Cook did everything right, but the hotel did a lot wrong. TC...get your finger out and sort this hotel out or drop them. Once their bookings suffer then maybe we will see an improvement.

Finally (phew!!) I want to mention the food. It was not great but there was enough to satisfy any palate. I have no complaints there. Lots of variety.

Anyhow, this is my review and I wish you all the best.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
ayrshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Very run down hotel carpets on corridors are disgusting and smell food hall was the same food not good ate out 6 out of 7 nights as the smell from food hall was enough to make you go out was a good 20min walk from main strip some nice places to eat if this is supposed to be 4 STAR then the system they use to rate these hotels are wrong we were half board thank god if I was all inclusive I might have been forced to eat more to get my moneys worth 4 euro for a large pepsi at pool bar so not cheap the entertainment was poor quizzes that went on and on first time in Cyprus surely there must be better 4 star hotels than this.

ENGLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Was booked in at the Polycarpria but had to change as the hotel was shutting early had stayed at the polycarpria twice before so was uneasy bout the change , dont know why we worried was very good tops foods tops rooms cleaned fresh towels daily rooms very fresh and clean . Was always greeted when we entered the restuarant by Nickolas made you feel welcome plenty of food choice to have. Maybe some people just feel better to have a moan if so please dont ruin it for others and give it a bad name go else where its what you make it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just 1 remark could do with 2 pillows on each bed

Room Tip: get a pool view room good to listen to entertainers from your rooms
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Arrived late, room basically ok. Only 1 thin pillow that was not supportive and the bed was uncomfortable. safe deposit box was there and we used it with no charge...didn't ask reception. Fridge in room, but not very effective, switched it on, no charge when cheking out, not sure if we supposed to pay !
Nothing much in the local area, a few bars, western bar had the best drinks...proper measures !
25 mins walk to protarus along new prom.
No beach here but can use lawned areas on other hotel fronts.
Enjoyed holiday otherwise.

Room Tip: Inland view room ok, no noise from pool area.
Darwen, Lancashire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was our first visit to Cyprus and we arrived at the Tsokkos gardens hotel, Pernera, around 11pm, tired but quite pleased with our first impressions of the hotel.
The receptionist was not overly friendly and offered no help with our bags or locating our rooms, but we were pleased to be given vouchers for lunch the next day as we had missed dinner.
The rooms were a decent size, clean, with enough cupboard/drawer space for our things. My balcony overlooked the pool and big enough for the table and two comfortable chairs provided. The air conditioning was old and largely ineffective and offered no respite from the heat.
We found breakfast to be rather chaotic and a free-for-all, made even more disorderly by the many Russian guests who were ill mannered and would push/walk right into people and had no concept of waiting their turn.
Food for breakfast was ok. Not a great choice of mediteranean food, lots of fried eggs, bacon, sausage etc which was nice, but i felt guilty eating it every day!
We were insulted by the head waiter when he informed us that we were eating breakfast at the wrong tables! He ranted to another group about us, pointing at us and repeating that tomorrow we must use the other tables. We said we understood and would do as he said, but he persisted, turning to a young waiter and sending him over to tell us once again!...i must say i was furious with this treatment and stormed out.
Dinner was little better organised, with an atmosphere of a canteen. You had to run behind an unfriendly waiter who took you to your table which was hidden somewhere amongst a vast sea of other tables, all crammed together. Then run the gauntlet of getting your food from the buffet. The food was usually quite decent with a good choice most nights, though the meat was always worryingly tepid. The wine tasted like the stuff you buy in litre boxes for 2 euros-but they charged 3.50 euros a glass!
At night the noise from the entertainment team blasted into the room as if there were no walls between us, and some of the singing was painful! So I was glad that i had brought ear plugs.
Having holidayed mostly in Turkey previously, we always made friends with waiters and other hotel staff even following each other on facebook. Yet this part of Cyprus left us feeling down and a little unvalued, nobody in Tsokkos offered much in the way of warmth or friendliness and the whole Pernera area was similar. A shame to say it put us off Cyprus.
Oh, and the toilets in reception stank!!

Room Tip: Try getting a room that doesn't overlook the pool, it should be a little quieter,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We have been to this hotel 2 years previous, and was overly dissapointed with everything that has changed this year. We booked this hotel for the 4th October and when we arrived at 10:00pm we were told we were to be transferred to another hotel that night due to the hotel being 'overbooked' so therefore we had to travel even longer and stay in a different hotel for the night. The reception staff had told us to arrive at 12 the next day and when we arrived they told us the rooms wasn't ready and had to wait around another hour. Also the food to choose from was terrible and was repeated, the kids food for the kids to choose from was disgusting with chips every night for them and either chicken nuggets or fish fingers, also when one food had run out they never usually put out more fresh so the food was very limited due to this it was so poor it led us to eating out a few nights although we were all inclusive. The bar staff at night were polite and ensured we wasn't waiting in the queue for long and the only positive thing about this hotel with them being extrememly friendly. To our astonishment the hotel was 80% russian who were VERY rude and always seemed to get their own way as when they had made a complaint it was sorted immediately where as when an english person complained we were made to wait. The entertainment team were friendly but everything seemed like an effort with them and in comparison to the team last year it was very poor. The entertainment usually finished at about half 10 and for the remainder of the night there was no music so the atmosphere was very dull this was yet again due to the russians complaining there was to much noise being made although they were loud in the mornings banging around. in the day the atmosphere around the pool has also gone downhill because the only time music was played was when they did the fitness in the pool after that the music was turned off. The cleaners were friendly and rooms were cleaned every day with fresh towels etc. The hair dryer in the bathroom was ridiculous and kept breaking as the tube kept coming out. When your all inclusive it is disgusting how your band is cut of at 12 mid day when our flight was late of a night and we wouldn't have been able to get drinks or food we had to pay. Sadly we won't be returning to this hotel again as it has gone downhill so much and especially next year we have heard its going to be catered more for russians. We STRONGLY don't reccommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: If you have children the apartments are bigger so they are recommended if you have a family.
Halifax, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Definitely not a 4 star hotel, grumpy reception staff didn't appear bothered about the well worn complaint path. 3 complaints before shower was fixed, air con sounded like a vaccuum cleaner & we needed it at night because weather was gorgeous all week (Oct 12th-19th). Mini fridge sounded like a road drill, we turned it off at night.
Bathroom so tiny it gave us claustrophobia, the "built in" hair dryer was pathetic, the blow tube was only a foot long, to dry your right side you had to sit in the sink!
We don't go on holiday to watch TV, but it's nice to have one for a couple of hours in the evening, we paid 10 euros deposit for a remote but after 3 requests for a working set we gave up & got our money back.
General cleanliness poor, the wash basin was full of hairs on our arrival & one day it looked like the cleaner had knocked off half way through, we were left without towels and toilet rolls.
Dining room like a canteen, long queues for very little choice, cold food & no sweets or cakes.
The entertainment team decided to play "thump thump" music at a trillion decibles round the pool area from 10-00am onwards, it was bedlam!
The main toilets by reception were a disgrace, dirty, smelly, being only 20 yards from reception---inexcusable!

Room Tip: For a carefree holiday.....Don't go to this hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tsokkos Gardens Hotel? Share your experiences!