“Highly recommended” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kent
“Highly recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

For a three star hotel, we thought it was excellent. The rooms are in need of updating, but it was very clean, and the staff very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. There are plenty of facilites to take advantage of, and the food was plentiful & varied. It was quiet, but probably because children were still at school, which suited us. What little faults we found aren't even worth mentioning.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Polish first
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Sun holidays are not my thing. Don't get me wrong I love sporting a brown body,my problem is doing nothing... for days... in 40degree heat. With that in mind, when i agreed to a week in Cyprus as our last holiday was instigated by me and involved being quite active in the Scottich Highlands, i thought i would be bitting my lip with boredom while my partner soaked up the rays. With this in mind i had packed enough books to re-stock a large library, my entire music collection compressed onto an MP3 player with full charge - and plans to escape in a rent-a-car for a few days to explore the 'places of historical interest' presumably on my own.

We arrived at the Pernera Beach Hotel well into the evening. I have stayed at *** star resports in the Canaries and Balearics and they were... rudimentary. This place was well laid out, spacious, cool and welcoming. Information was displayed everywhere and all staff spoke better english than we. And that was just the reception area.

The room was far larger than anything we had been expecting or become used to; it was extremely tidy and comfortable and EVERYTHING WORKED! The view from the balcony over the arc shaped pool and sea beyond were nearly magnificent (ok it was dark, but it all looked lovely).

We were then told that the hotel taverna was still open for us to eat (it was probably about 9:30 by now) and we made our way down there. This consisted of a large tiled area outside, but covered, overlooking Pernera Bay. We could hear no 'emission of repetative beats' in the distance (ok im only 29 but puuuurlease, it gets real tired real fast doesnt it), and the service and food were pretty good.

So jumping forward: i didnt start reading any of my books until 5 days in, i hired a car on just one day and that was a bit of a disaster, we spent a large quantity of our time by the pool (something i thought i could never do) and the local beach and, but for one fat-head loud northern bloke who clearly thought he was WAY funnier than Peter Kay, all was peaceful.

They do do animation activities all day for all ages. Not my thing but it was good to see that there was a varied option. In the evening they have entertainment, usually a singer, and usually going on to around midnight (not good for an early night), and the cocktail bar has a happy hour between 8 and 9pm. There is essentially one pool area, an expanse of lawn going down to the beach, and even a little section of the beach that seemed to be reserved for hotel guests.

The main resort of Protaras can be reached by a pleasant 20 minute walk down the newly built boardwalk along the coast, and alternatively a 2 minute stroll-in land took you to the local stretch of bars, restaurants and shops.

I hope that this review is useful to those of you who normally yearn a bit of adventure and cant bear the thought of lounging around aimlessly with the great unwashed. I managed to do nothing and that suprised me. This is a hotel which doesnt attract large groups of shouting lads and lassies (it's is more set up for couples and families) as Protaras is a lot more laid back than Aiya Napa up the road. The local beach does host water sports and the diving school is attached to the hotel (the sea, on the whole, is crystal clear and teeming with fish) should you need a distraction.

While i feel i have 'done Cyprus now' - i prefer a bit more green scenery - that is really the only thing that would stop me returning.

hatfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

Arrival + Food (Half Board)
we arrived just before dinner was about to finish, There was still a variety of food left even tho we was the last to eat. This was the same for the whole of our holiday including breakfast. Food varied at dinner time such as meat, pasta and various greek dishes this was served buffet style. Waiting staff was very efficient and catered to our needs.
If by any chance you missed breakfast or dinner you could ask for a lunch time meal at reception.

Accomodation

Very clean rooms were a very good standard also reccomend renting a fridge for 20 euros for the week as its essential, air con was a god send as temprature was rising.
we also had joining rooms which were handy as we was able to keep an eye on the teenagers but still letting them have there own independence.

Location

Hotel was situated 50yds from the small but nice beach which was lovely, sun beds were available on beach for 2euros and 2.50euros for umbrella. Also places to eat and drink within meters from your sunbed. Also there is an on site supermarket which is very reasonable price and has a variety of food. protaras was only a 20min walk along the newley bulit promonard which is an enjoyable walk with plenty of food places to eat and drink, or there is the option to get a cab which is 7-8 euros which is resonable.If your a real party animal then ayia napa is only 20mins away with is clubs and bars open till all hours.

final point - The downside is if you wanted to upgrade to all inclusive you couldn't but there was people there who were all inclusive but only seemed to be foreign we over heared the ENGLISH were not allowed to upgrade to all inclusive as we drink far too MUCH!!!

Apart fron that would we go back again YES WE WOULD !!!

entertainment was good at night and during the day enough to keep everyone happy

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

I've recently returned from a week staying at the Pernera Beach hotel with my girlfriend, both having recently finished uni. As you can guess, we were after a relaxing week away before starting jobs etc. and the hotel delivered this very well. The hotel itself is clean, well maintained and has good facilities. The room was very clean well maintained throughout our stay and the air con was a god send! The views from the room were fantastic and most rooms appear to have a sea view. The staff were very friendly with quite a few brits working there which was good. The food was good and there was plenty of variety at the evening buffet, with a different 'theme' each night offering different dishes. The hotel is a bit away from Protaras itself but the bus service is excellent and runs on the hour till 23:00 and goes right down to Ayia Napa and the waterpark etc. for €1.50. There are a few bars and restaurants in Pernera itself which are excellent if you don't fancy heading into Protaras, I can personally recommend 'La Cultura Del Gusto' which is literally 500 yards from the hotel and served excellent food. All in all, it was a excellent relaxing week in a good hotel!

Herts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

Ok, where do I start...My girlfriend and myself have just come back from a two week holiday in Cyprus and stayed at Pernera Beach, I have been to Cyprus 6 times (this was my 7th) as my family is from there, but I wanted to take my girlfriend as she has never been. The price was very good and the hotel looked OK so I came on Trip Advisor, as we usually do to check peoples comments. I was blown away by everyones feedback and there didn't seem to be any negatives so we booked two weeks Half Board through First Choice.

Room - We had a sea-view, which we paid a bit more for but if you don't then you would be facing a car park and some unfinished buildings! The view is fantastic and the room is very clean (considering it 3*), but that's where it ends. The beds are the hardest I've ever slept on and were two separate beds pushed together. We also had the privelige of having a connecting room, which was fine when nobody was next to you but be warned!!....the second week we were there another couple moved in next door and we heard absolutly everything they were saying and doing (and I mean EVERYTHING!!), this resulted in us being woken up by them at a variation of 1am-5am for three or four nights!!! We let it go on for two nights, as obviously we're a young couple ourselves so didn't want to come across as putting a downer on their holiday, but on the 3rd night after being woken up at 3:30am I went next door to bang on their door but they were so loud that they didn't hear! I went downstairs but there was no night porter on duty, the next morning I spoke to the Cypriot lady on reception who books the rooms and she had zero sympathy, even adding a bit of arrogance to her tone also! She refused to move us rooms and said "they can't control how people act in rooms" and her only solution was to "tell the rep." I found this to be very playground like and showed that the hotel did not want aything to do with this problem and tried to palm this off onto First Choice, when it was their roof that this was happening under! I obviously argued back but the words Brick and Wall sprung to mind! The lack of insulation obviously effected me and my girlfriend as we had to whisper at all times, especially when in the bathroom which is bordering on ridiculous.

Hotel Entertainment - If you are a young person you will probaby be like us and find the entertainment mind-numbing, this resulted in us finding other places to drink where you could actually have a conversation. The entertainment area is outside and extremely noisy, my girlfriend and myself are used to going to bars and clubs in London and even I thought it was stupidly loud, going on until sometimes 12am! I did hear two older people complaining and asking to move rooms but to be honest we were one of the furthest sea-views away and it was still extremely audible! I feel sorry for older people and people with small babies who would surelt have found it hard to get to sleep with it!

There is a mini-disco for kids, but for some unknown reason it is done in front of the bar so everyone can watch. The result is people being forced to watch kids play party games and some of the kids are to embarassed to go up because all the adults are there, why not do the disco in private so the kids can have a dance, relax and not be concious of the adults having to watch them???!!!

Most of the entertainment after the mini-disco is third rate and is the type of entertainment that gets buzzed off on Britains Got Talent at the first stage We had two different Robbie Williams impersonators, the first sounded like him but sang all Rat Pack songs and the second didn't sound like him at all to the point that I thought that I may even give it a go myself! There was a parrot show, on at 10pm???? A drag act, which basically revolves aroud two men dressed as women miming to camp cabaret songs for an hour..I thought we had tome-travelled to 1970 because surely entertainment has come on futher than that??!! They also did a tacky Miss/Mr Prenera which was a light sample version of 18-30's holidays which invited a handful of men/women to run around getting kisses and downing half pints...snooze!

There is a special mention for Blues Brothers and a young Scottish girl singer who were both extremely good. At one point the girl was heckled because she "wasn't singing directly at a guy in the audience".... poor girl.

Location - The location is quite good, although the very best beach is Fig Tree Bay and that was about 35-45 mins walk and I regularly keep fit. We used to always go to the beach as you will get pestered with the same music and the animation team. Pernera beach is a 2 mins walk, but the quickest way round the back means a walk across a bit of a rocky path. The beaches along the newly built promenade are some of the best I've seen and very clear, another warning though is the 7.50 euro charge for the sunbeds (2.50 for umbrella and 2.50 per sunbed). I thought it ws worth the price just to get away from same people you see evryday and the hotel.

Food - I've had a lot of Cypriot food and the standard was very good and quite reasonablt priced. We ate out for lunch and even a few dinners (even though we were half board). There is a nice restaurant to the left (if your looking at the sea). Can't remember what its called but its the first one you come too. For lunch the Polo's Restaurant on Prenera beach is very nice.

The food in hotel was quite good, but some of the meat was very fatty and sometimes on the bone. The service at dinner was very prompt and the waitors were friendly and very efficient. The view was also another positive. The Cypriot and Greek night was a huge letdown however.

Things to do - We didn't just want to sit by the pool like most people do so we booked to got to Paphos and also to Kykoss monestry which was a nice change of scenery. We also went to the waterpark which was very good also, but I'd advise getting there early as it gets extremly busy. Another tip is to get buses when going as far as Ayai Napa as all journeys are just 1.50 euro (one way).

Nightlife - If your one of those people who loves have England in the sun then the nightlife in Pernera, Protaras and Ayia Napa is your kinda place!! They have loads of tacky themed bars with chavvy music and more low budget entertainers. It reminded us of a smaller version of Southend or Blackpool, not positive. If your young and looking for trendy bars there aren't many, we found one or two along the coast which overlooked the sea but weren't too pricey at all.

Weather - The weather was amazing, nearly 40c when we were there but by the sea there is a nice sea breeze.

Overall - I'm not trying to put anyone off going to Cyprus,to the contrary. I've gone out of my way to write this review as I feel so strongly that someone shouldn't have their hard earned money wasted by booking this hotel. Cyprus is such a beautiful place that I wouldn't want you too waste you money going here. If I was to summarise I would say that if your looking for a quiet place to spend some time with your loved ones then this is not the place for you. Me and my girlfriend will obviously go back to Cyprus because minus the hotel we had a fanstastic time, but I would pay a little extra for a better hotel...

Tamworth (Midlands)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

Just got back from a one week stay at the Pernera Beach booked with first choice. On arrival at the hotel, the receptionist (who may I add was english) was very friendly and got us our room straight away. Once we arrived at the room we were shocked at how clean it was, not many 3*/3*+ hotels are as spotless as this one - a little dated - but you are only there to sleep in it!

Our room had an amazing view, over looking the crystal clear sea, and overlooking the pool area - it really was amazing.

Food: Limited choice for vegetarians - especially those who dont eat fish either. (I eat chicken but it was on the bone and i'm not to keen!) Lots of salad avaliable and a lot of fish/meats. Also a lot of pasta but on some days had squid/prawns in.

Pool bar: Excellent choice of food from this bar, great value, and they pile your plate up - so it helped having a substancial lunch even if there wasnt much you could eat on the evening

Drinks: Happy hour is between 8-9pm and cocktails were half price, but was quite expensive to pay for drinks after 9pm - especially with the cocktails priced at 5euros +, so a bottle of vodka and a few juices on the balcany was ace, admiring the view.

Area: Protaras was quite a long walk in the day, taking around 30 mins, as was very hot to walk along in the day, but at night we got to protaras in about 20 mins and was lovely, although half way along this walk the lights were out - so wouldnt recommend walking along it any time after 10pm.
Taxi's quite cheap at 7/8 euros 1 way into protaras.

May I also add that the hotel had free wifi in the reception area.

Overall: Excellent hotel, amazing weather, topping 30+ degrees, amazing pool to cool down in and crystal clear water just a minute walk from the hotel. Would definatly reccomend this hotel.

Animation Team were very good as well keeping children entertained, although it got a little bit annoying as they played the same songs every day.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

Have just come back from a week's stay at the Pernera Beach Hotel and had a fantastic time. The hotel is in a fabulous location - right on the beach front and near to several bars and restaurants. Nice pool and plenty of places to sunbathe in the hotel but we chose to pay to use sunbeds on the beach - a stone's throw away from the hotel. Lovely clean beach and clear sea - if a little cold!

Food ok but not huge choice. Lots of great salads and all meals freshly cooked. Try the Meze restaurant in the town one night for an authentic home-cooked moussaka - very nice.

Hotel staff lovely - especially on reception. Really nice (though not cheap) bar and evening restaurant looks over the bay - beautiful. Evening entertainment not great but good atmosphere and lots of pool tables/games to keep you occupied. Hotel animation team very friendly but would have been irritating if we'd chosen to sit by the pool as a bit relentless.

Rooms basic but clean. Air conditioning worked but did not really do anything so could be very warm at night.

Took the bus to Aiya Napa (1.50 euro return) which was worth the trip for a change of scene. The seafront walk to Protaras was a lovely way to spend an evening - especially if you stop for cocktails at the other end before heading back. Plenty of other excursions available if you don't want to sit in very hot sun all day.

Overall, the hotel catered for all personalities and ages and we would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Pernera Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!