“Life Changing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Jungle Eco Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Itacare
Art Jungle Eco Lodge
You added Art Jungle Eco Lodge to your Saves list
Rod ILheus Itacare Km 63 | Alto da Boa Vista Fazenda Arte na Mata, Itacare, State of Bahia 45530000, Brazil   |
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Life Changing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I had not taken a vacation for more than a few days at a time in years and I decided to go to Art Jungle for a break over Anew Ayears before going back to my MBA program in Rio. I don't think I have enough space here to express my joy and gratitude for the experience I had at Art Jungle.

This place is an amazing retreat in the midst if the Mata Atlantica and the first day I woke up there I could not believe where I was. Birds were singing, the sun shining and blue skies greeted me in the morning. Every day I loved having the delicious breakfast with fresh fruit (most grown on the property), fresh baked bread and pastries, fresh fruit juice, coffee, fresh eggs and other things to get me ready for the day's adventure. Try everything even if you have no clue what you are eating. You are in the jungle in Brazil, so you may as well try something new. Chances are, you will like it!

I rented a surf board and went surfing most days with an instructor and I loved every bit of every day at Art Jungle and in Itacare in general. I stayed in Tripe which was great for me as a single traveler. I had a bird's nest just outside my window and watched everyday as the mother bird fed her young about a foot from my face. How cool?!

The other guests were really cool as well and we had lots of great conversations. If you are traveling alone, you will have no trouble meeting people here. We had a really nice New Years Eve dinner made by Rai (the man of all trades there) with live entertainment. They even have an earth oven.

i did not try any of the massages or treatments and I so regret that. Kate, the manager, runs a really great operation at Art Jungle and the whole team is fantastic. Kate and Rai's daughter Keanna is the icing on the cake and it was great to have her running around up there. So cute!

Why was this place so life changing? Something about the energy of Art Jungle, and of Itacare made me really unplug and appreciate my life. I felt the happiest I have in along time and I am really glad I decided to spend a week there. My only complaint is that I did not stay longer!

Please remember that Art Jungle is in the Atlantic Rainforest. This is not for everyone. I loved not having plugs in my room, or a television, or anything but peace and quiet. The main house is open during the day if you really need to charge things. Most things are run on solar power and the water comes from a spring, so this is a very sustainable property that can run independently. I really like that.

If you have the time (and even if you think you don't), go to Art Jungle...go to Itacare! I did and it changed my life. This is one of the most beautiful places in the world, but if you are looking for fast pace, all the comforts of home, or chic things then go elsewhere. If you are looking for peace, love and beauty then this is the place for you. It is not perfect, but it is perfect for me!

Room Tip: There is no ac in anynof the rooms, but I found I did not need that. I am really sensitive to heat...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I decided to spend 4 months at Art Jungle after falling in love with the place. On a hilltop in the middle the jungle with beautiful views of the atlantic ocean and the hilly native forrest, plus a short trip from some of the most beautiful beaches in Brazil, this is truly a little paradise. It is not for everyone, if you are looking for a luxury resort you will be dissapointed. The huts are simple but comfortable and always maintained super clean. The breakfast of fresh fruits, juices and newly baked bread is delicious. Don't miss the super healthy Acai juice made from berries grown on the property. If you're looking for a healthy vacation you won't be disappointed, there are yoga classes, jungle hikes, surf lessons and massages on offer.
Compared to the village of Itacare where it can get very hot and poluted (partly because of many dirt roads) the location on the hill offers fresh air and cool breeze from the ocean. It is still close enough to go out during night but if your main goal is to party I would go for a place in the village.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Thanx to a very friendly dutch couple which we met on your boat trip from manaus to santarem, we received the tip of this little piece of paradise above the ocean in the jungle near itacare with magnificent views of the river and the ocean.

If you are looking for a place to relax, to enjoy nature and exellent food, then this is the place to be.

We stayed in the treetop house called tarzan, a very cute little house built of different kind of woods and palmleaves in a giant tree with a breathtaking view of the river and the ocean. It was spotless clean, with tasteful furnishings, 24h electricity and even a full facility bathroom with wc and warm water shower.

The couple which manages this lodge is more than friendly and provides a very open and welcome atmosphere so you will instantly feel at home. We especially enjoyed the gigant fish wrapped in bananaleaves which rai grilled for us.

But one thing we like the most was the best tapioca we had in brazil!! Prepared freshly every day for breakfast.

We just loved the place!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We had the pleasure to stay at Art jungle for a couple of days and we really loved it. After 4 days in Itacare, which was not what we had hoped for, this was finally the place to come down and chill out. The beaches in and around Itacare are beautiful, but I found it so refreshing to stay in the jungle, with the sounds of the birds and the most amazing flora & fauna around. Kate and her husband were absolutely great hosts, with a superb knowledge of the area and lots of ideas which trips to go for. The ultimate experience for us was a night in the "SPA" room, which sometimes can be booked and which is a truly unique and wonderful experience. From here you can overlook the jungle, the sea and the beach and see the stars at night - we have travelled a lot all around the world, but this was really outstanding. Thank you Kate !! So, if you want to go to Itacare, stay in the art jungle.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chur, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

It was a wonderful experience to stay in the middle of the jungle in those lovely wooden houses. the staff was very helpful with everything and i loved the variety of the breakfast.

i would absolutely recommend this location for all nature lovers, surf dudes, families who love to stay in a quite place, surrounded by nature

Room Tip: pick either the tarzan tree house or the por do sol (great view). the non plus ultra is the SPA!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I discovered this place by accident online and were really glad we did. It was a true highlight of our trip to Brazil. This a a very small pousada perched on a hill overlooking the Rio de Contas which leads in to Itacare. It consists of about 6 or 7 small private huts each suitable for a couple or 3 people. The huts are very simple with only some low voltage lighting, solar heated hot water, no plugs, no wifi and a simple bed with mosquito net. This is a place for people who want to unplug and enjoy nature and peace and quiet. The views are fantastic and animals and birds wake you up instead of the humming of air conditioning. There is a nice pool, a wood burning sauna, a meditation hut where you can also get a massage and quite a lot of land around for exploring. There is a main house with full electricity where you can use the fridge and plug your phone in to charge. The grounds are also filled with clay sculpture, and I mean filled. These are courtesy or the the very eccentric resident artist Naco who you will meet if you stay for more than a day or two.

What truly sets the place apart are the husband and wife management team of Kate and Rai. It is owned by a Swiss guy who we never saw but he couldn't have left it in better hands. Kate is a Canadian ex-pat who spent a good chunk of her life as a tour guide all over South America and speaks fluent Spanish, Portuguese, English and some French. She is also a yoga instructor and massage therapist. Rai is native of Itacare, a nature guide and is an expert in all the flora and fauna of the Atlantic forest surrounding the area. They couldn't have been more helpful and arranged everything for us that we wanted to do. Airport transfers to Ilheus, canoe rides up the river, surf lessons, taxis, trips to distant beaches....Anything you were interested in, a quick word with Kate and it materialized. When we lay on the bed for the first time I didn't like the pillows as I have some neck problems and am a bit picky. I asked Kate about it and she gave us the cervical pillows right off her own bed! They really made you feel at home. Sometimes it was nice to just go up to the main house and share a beer with them or other guests and chat. They do their best to make you feel like part of the family, and their super cute baby daughter only adds to the homey feel. The day we arrived they greeted us with an aqua de coco, a pre heated sauna, and then gave us a ride through town to show us how to get around The breakfasts were wonderful and fresh and featured many fruits and juices grown right on the property (Acai, Pineapple, Cupuacu) We had dinner a couple of times with them and Rai cooked us a beautiful Moqueca and a full Brazilian BBQ.

It is important to realize, if you choose to stay here, that this is not a party place, nor is it a luxury resort. The huts are very simple with outdoor showers, no marble sinks here. Also they don't take credit so make sure you have enough cash to pay your bill. It is very quiet and away from the hustle and bustle of Itacare. You are a 10 minute taxi ride from town and the road is pretty rough in spots. You could walk it in 30 but that is not an option at night. Many other guests chose to rent a car which you can get in town. We opted for taxis which were easy to arrange and cost between 20-30 reais each way depending on what you could negotiate. Although the road is pretty bad we soon realized as we explored the area that all the dirt roads in the area were of similar quality. It's just a fact of life in Itacare.

For us this was the perfect place for a romantic getaway and would definitely recommend it for people looking for that.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Having traveled a lot of Brazil, I can say Itacare is easily one of my favorite places. I spent about 10 days at Art Jungle and would highly recommend it! It's located just outside the town and offers amazing views of the Rio Contas as it runs into the river. While secluded and quiet, it's easy to get into Itacare and I was enjoying the town every night.

What really sets this place aside is the management. Kate has a ton of experience in South America and is incredibly personable, and genuinely wants to help make sure you get the most out of your stay. She helped me set up surfing, jiu jitsu (highly recommended) and Portuguese lessons. There's a lot more to offer including capoeira, yoga, massage, whale watching etc. Her husband, Raimundo is a local guide who can show you hidden beaches and wateralls. His English is good and he has a great ability to find and explain local flora and fauna.

Definitely recommend Art Jungle regardless even you are looking to relax by the pool or the beach.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Art Jungle Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!