“The perfect escape from the routines"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tubakula Beach Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coral Coast
Tubakula Beach Bungalows
You added Tubakula Beach Bungalows to your Saves list
Queens Highway | Korotogo, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Namaka Nadi
“The perfect escape from the routines"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

We had a superb time....Away from Phones and TV's and the rest!!!
A wonderful sunset atmosphere awaited us from the beachside bungalows..
Kitchen was well equipped, room layout was perfect!!!

The Vosota's
Sydney

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

I stayed after a friend referred this place. Regretted it almost immediately. The Manager was HORRIBLE and very unfriendly, there were Tsunami evaucation's and no support was given. We were the only guests in the entire place and they didn't do anything to assist us during the evaucations - one of the maintenance people told us to walk up a hill. We were left trying to hitch hike into town to be safe - Meanwhile, the manager was no where to be seen because he had taken care of himself. The management treated us horribly and were racist towards us which was very uncomfortable and made our stay just terrible. The housekeeper was lovely and tried to be friendly. The restaurant hours were wrong, so we rarely got to have meals because they wouldn't open the kitchen for us due to being the only guests. We had a hospital emergency where my partner needed to go to hospital and they did not help at all. We had to try and find a taxi service and figure it out ourselves. We ended up getting help from the neighbouring resort.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a great location, and basic accommodation but the management are TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT FRIENDLY, HELPFUL OR INTERESTED in showing Fiji as the lovely country that it is.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

Have stayed over 5 times over last 16 years. Always at least 2 weeks at a time. This trip will be the last time we will stay there. In the past we have brought other couples with us. I will not make this a long review, but will simply list the deficiencies we incurred, in no particular order. You decide how important these are to you.

Poor management (Managers AJ & Charlas Hardrill)
Resort is in high point of decay
Rooms are filthy, and in need of severe cleaning, scrubbing...
Do you like bed bugs, because here they like you
Resort has restaurant that "says" they serve breakfast but the morning staff does not cook, so no breakfast
If you meet someone while on your holiday you will not be allowed to bring them at any time for any reason to your room or bungalow
If you arrive early ( before 3pm) and want to check they WILL charge you for an additional day ( even if your room is ready)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Fiji4Less, General Manager at Tubakula Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your most recent visit to Tubakula; we will certainly look into your complaints re cleanliness for although we are a budget hotel establishment with simple facilities, cleanliness is of great importance to us and we appreciate any comments where we can improve in this area. It is however a shame that you did not mention the issue of bed bugs or cleanliness when you had your conversation with senior management as it could have been thoroughly investigated at that time.

However, we believe your primary objection was our requirement that all visitors who are not in-house guests please first either register as a guest if staying with the persons who booked the room, or alternatively be entertained in the public areas of the hotel only. We understand that guests sometimes want to invite people they have met on holiday into their bungalows, but unfortunately security, insurance and duty of care requires that we ask these visitors to either register as an extra on-site guests with reception by providing valid identification (which is required of all hotel guests) if these guests are going to be visiting the guest's bungalow or alternatively be entertained in the public areas of the hotel. Most of our guests understand and appreciate the additional security afforded to them and their visitors by this policy which is explained in our booking policies. If this policy, which has been in effect for quite a number of years, was not handled courteously by our staff, we do sincerely apologise and will ensure additional training in this area, but we advise that this policy will remain in place at this time.

Again, we are sorry that you were not happy with your stay and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
Brisbane, Qld
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

Tubakula is a three star resort which consists of a number of self contained bures spread over a large area, as well as single room and backpacker dorms. The bures all have a kitchenette and two bedrooms with the lower a double or queen and the upper having three single beds. I've stayed here three times in the last four years. The establishment appears to be around forty to fifty years old but is very well maintained. No roads to cross: you walk straight out of your bure, across the grounds and on to the beach.

No phones, air con or television sets in the bures. No internet access either. Nearby Sigatoka town has plenty of reasonably fast and competitively priced internet cafes. You can either take a cab (about $6 or $7) or bus (about $1) to town about seven kilometres away to shop, stroll or whatever.

The restaurant serves basic and reasonably priced meals. You can also walk around the beach about 400 to 500 metres to Le Cafe, a small bar which also serves meals or just beside it, Beachside Restaurant which also boasts a "Mini Mart" (Shop!). Ask the staff at Tubakula the best way to get there.

The only gripe I really have is the water pressure - in a couple of the bures I've stayed in the hot water pressure in the bathroom shower was so low it was almost unusable. I have to say it was somewhat better this time but I don't know if good luck or good management was the factor.

And speaking of management: When I was there we had a cyclone. There was no electricity or water for three days. In spite of this, the management refused to fire up a generator which would have supplied both, unlike all of the resorts in the vicinity. The result of this tight-fisted decision was no drinks or meals in the restaurant for three days, let alone lights or water in the bures. Not too bad - I ate at Beachside and drank down the road at Bedarra Inn, a pleasant 3.5 star establishment ( I stayed there a couple of years ago.) which had full power via generators.

To sum up: Tubakula is a somewhat basic three star older establishment. In this context it is a reasonable place to stay. Just don't stay there in the cyclone season. Their managers may decide you don't deserve water or electricity.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

I spent fourteen nights in Tubakula Beach Bungalows June 3rd – 17th 2009

Tubakula Pros:
• The coral filled beach was beautiful. The ocean was liquid blue crystal, and behind it were misty, emerald mountains. The Coral Coast was breathtaking, and I would sit for hours at a time on the beach in awe.
• Snorkelling was pretty good. The ocean was clear, warm, and filled with fish; however, I found compared to Hawaii the fish were on the smaller side.
• The Tubakula Bungalows was very affordable; what you pay is what you get. Nothing fancy very basic. I was supposed to have one private room but I ended having a whole bungalow to myself because it was slow.
• At the front desk, you can get do a currency exchange for Fiji dollars.
• Two doors down from Tubakula is the five star Outrigger on the Lagoon which is very convenient. A cafe on the premises has four laptops set up and after 10am is open to the public to use with free internet access. This came in very handy, and was how I communicated with friends and family back home. If you have your own laptop The Outrigger has an internet hot spot; this isn’t free but was very reasonably priced. Also on the Outrigger property are several stores where tourists can purchase souvenirs, apparel, and junk food.

Tubakula Cons:
• Tubakula doesn’t have internet access and the front desk charges a ridiculous amount of money to use their phone.
• The hot water/stove run on gas and right behind the door is the gas tank; I woke up several times during the night because of the tank making flexing and banging noises. I thought someone was trying to break into the place.
• I was on day 11 when ants started to make my kitchen counter a dumping ground for their poo. I would wipe it down and within an hour there would be another layer of ant crap. It was quite impressive how such a small bug can poop so much.
• The house had lots of screened windows which were great for keeping it cool; however, a drawback was that it was noisy. My bungalow was 15-20 feet from the highway and cars often sounded like they were driving through the place. A couple of times early in the morning I heard feral pigs oinking as they walked around the yard around my house. I would hear the security guard sing as he walked around the outside of the house to flick off the outside light.
• The masseuse working at Tubakula was unbelievable annoying and persistent. He would wait by the pool and jump at guests. “Want a full body massage?” He asked as he stared at my chest. BIGGEST CREEP EVER. He even came up to my bungalow door and asked if I was interested in his services. To avoid him, I would skip the cement path and walk behind the bungalows hoping he wouldn’t see me.

For transportation to and from the airport I would recommend booking with Coral Sun. http://www.coralsunfiji.com Do not take a taxi unless you have to; they cost at least double to triple the amount of taking a bus.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

I stayed at the Tubakula Beach Bungalows in August 2009, and back in 1988 when I was backpacking. Twenty years on it’s still a good budget option for families or groups that bring their own entertainment.

The bungalows must’ve had (several) coats of paint since 1988 because they’re still in good condition, as are the grounds and pool. Don’t expect anything fancy at this price point but the inside of our A-frame chalet was clean and tidy, although a couple of the many window slats were loose. The kitchen had a gas stove, cooking gear, and settings for four (although there are beds for five!) as well as a good-sized fridge-freezer. Each bungalow also had a small patio with a table and a couple of large, wooden chairs.

There's also a reception building that looks relatively new, with a TV 'alcove' and restaurant. The beach is picturesque and it's possible to walk out about 300m to the breakers at low tide. However, much of the coral looks dead - I think most of the Coral Coast is in this state - so while snorkeling is possible at high tide it's not a patch on the Yasawas.

The Kula Eco Park and Outrigger Resort are both nearby and both worth a visit (Outrigger has an ATM and tourist shops.) The nearest supermarkets are on the north edge of Korotogo village, 2-3 km north-west of Tubakula (walk on the old coast road.) Sigatoka is about 20 mins. away by bus (F$1 pp, or a F$7 taxi ride.)

Pluses: peace and quiet, and a lot of space and self-catering amenities at a reasonable price. Restaurants within walking distance, down the old coast road (the Bedarra is excellent!)

Cons: if you don't bring your own entertainment or go at a busy time, e.g., Aussie school holidays, you're going to be bored - don't expect a resort! Restaurant opening times were erratic.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Recently returned from our 3rd stay at Tubakula in 5 years, and happy to report that it is still the relaxed, friendly, no-frills place it's always been, despite numerous changes in staff over the years. The bungalows are simple but clean, with no TVs or phones, or heaven forbid, internet access ;), and the place still feels like you have dropped back in time to the 1960s, where a beach holiday was a chance to just sit and chill by the seaside while watching the kids mess about with a bucket and spade. We had a beachfront bungalow and fell asleep each night to the sounds of the waves on the reef (got a bit windy sometimes though, especially late afternoon!) For several of the days we were there, there was a large group of marine biologists or conservationists having some kind of conference so there was an occasional long wait for a meal at the restaurant (presumably because the kitchen staff were busy with the group meals), but this was about my only gripe. We'll definitely be back again soon!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Tubakula Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!