“Fab, luxurious stay-felt like 4****!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Henderson Drive | Forton Road, Chard TA20 2HW, England   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Chard
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kingston, Surrey
“Fab, luxurious stay-felt like 4****!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have never made the effort to leave a message on a review site before, but felt I had to make an exception for the Lordleaze Hotel. Firstly, before I booked I checked that there were no events taking place on our dates to make sure we would have a quiet stay and that was the case. The location once you get there is very scenic and quiet. It is unusual how you drive through a residential area of houses until you reach the last sign post for the hotel which then takes you down a long road in a big open field where you can see the hotel by itself at the end of the field. The outside of the hotel is not particularly special but as soon as you step inside you see how you have entered a tardis - the hotel is really big inside. The reception area is immediately warm and traditional, in keeping with the original farmhouse features. Our room was room 24 on the ground floor and the walk to the room was pleasant passing the bar area with a gorgeous real fire and the breakfast / restaurant area to the right. Everything looked very traditional but not dated which was a relief! When we reached our room we were very impressed with the interior decor, fresh smell and space. We had a sofa at the end of our bed infront of the TV which was a really nice added touch and something we did not know we would get. I really think the hotel should update their website as I don't think the pictures on their website do their rooms justice. We felt that the hotel was more like a 4 star than a 3 star due to the comfiness of the bed, the modern & clean decor of the rooms and the GORGEOUS bathroom and power shower and nice added touches of miniatures, CD and alarm player, own personal iron and press in room (modern white style not brown dated style), luxurious tissues and plush carpets and EXTRA SOFT, FLUFFY towels (unlike hard towels that I am more used to in hotels). Our bedroom and the whole interior decor of the hotel felt like it had been recently refurbished as everything looked so clean and modern (but still in keeping with the original features). Oh and I must also mention the breakfast. We stayed 2 nights so had 2 breakfasts. Each day there was music from a CD player playing nice relaxing music, which immediately relaxed us, and the view out onto the nicely landscaped garden is really nice too. I was surprised to be able to see miniature dorset brand cereals on show which was really good (as I am more used to simple cornflakes etc in a 3 star).... so I had high-end dorset granola as well as a full cooked breakfast each day. The first night of our stay I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of the hotel who spoke very candidly to me (he seemed a little eccentric, although it was about 10pm and I think he had had a drink which may have made him seem that way, and he has country rosy cheeks which added to the country feel of the hotel) - he was very pleasant, gave us great tips on where to go in Dartmoor where we were going the next day. I thoroughly recommend this hotel and hope you will have as nice and rested a stay as myself and my husband did. Oh and can I just say, I don't understand some of the negative comments as I am very fussy but I really thought that the Lordleaze got a lot right and really did go the extra mile that other hotels do not - my husband and I really did say to each other that we felt it was a 4 star, not a 3 star. Thanks for a lovely 2 night break :-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tomo12, Manager at The Lordleaze Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for staying and hope to see you in the near future

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Buckingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We needed a bed for the night in the Chard area. Found this hotel. The food was great, prices very reasonable. It was friendly and there was an overall good standard of presentation without it being "in your face". (clean, well decorated, no flaking paint, no tired duvet covers etc). One of the nicest things about it is that its not owned by a big company..that really still does make a big difference. Even in october the gardens were welcoming.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Very glad you enjoyed yourselves, we hope to welcome you back again
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed for one night as we had a friends wedding down the road in Ilminster.
I don't have a lot of positive things to say i'm afraid and I don't like to be negative so I won't go on. The gentleman who I believe was the owner of the hotel was lovely and very friendly however the hotel itself is worn out and in desparate need of updating and a bit of TLC.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tomo12, Owner at The Lordleaze Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
The Hotel is being constantly upgraded in all areas, it is an 18th century farmhouse conversion with character - I have no idea what you found wrong so cannot comment anymore - please let us know so we can see your point of view , until then this is the least constructive review.
Weymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Enjoyed a couple of nights in this out of the way hotel.
Clean, friendly staff, nice room, if a little old fashioned - but nothing wrong with that!
Very clean modern bathroom. Nice breakfast freshly cooked to order.
We were going to eat in the restaurant, but the prices were high for what was a fairly boring menu!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tomo12, Manager at The Lordleaze Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and your compliments - please try the restaurant next time as you will not find it boring (its equally as good as the breakfasts!) and will realise that the pricing is fair for such quality - please take a look at out current menu on our website restaurant page.
Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel with nice staff and good food. Unfortualty our stays was ruined by a very loud wedding that was going on and our room was on the ground floor next to the bar and next to the patio area. The noise was so loud we did not sleep until the last guests left the bar at gone 1am. There was shouting and cheering which was not needed. It's such a shame that our stay was ruined by some people who really did not think about the other guests in the hotel

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tomo12, Manager at The Lordleaze Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Thank you for your praise of the Hotel - very sorry about the loud guests we had during your stay - we only host about 20 weddings a year and there are 365 days each year which are generally extremely peacefully quiet at night. Sometimes people get loud when having fun and we ask them to quieten down but we are dealing with the general public!
Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back on a quieter night.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

A member of a party of 53 peolple, this was our second visit to this hotel for an evening meal en-route home to Weston-super-Mare after a day out.
As previously, the welcome was very friendly and all the staff most helpful.
Another excellent meal. Thank you Tom and all your family too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you all for returning - don't leave it so long next time please !
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We booked a night on a whim through LateRooms. Turned out to be a good whim. The hotel is good and the proprietors are super-friendly. The room we had was, to steal from another contributor "corporate", but that's not a negative, just don't expect olde-worlde charm - if you are into that sort of thing (which I am). I'm rambling.

We were carefully and deliberately informed on arrival that there was a wedding reception going on and it would be loud 'til midnight - we didnt care; since our intent was to eat, drink, and stay up late in any case. [Importantly, and true to their word, the place fell almost silent at 00:00 - well done]. If you are looking for a quite retreat, which this place could undoubtedly be, then it would be good to check before booking.

The best surprise is the food. The menu has a reasonable selection of five or six of each starter, main and dessert. I am fortunate enough to eat in some nice gaffs, so the bar is set quite high; I can report that the seared scallops and chiorizo is just about perfect (searing can go so wrong!) and the rack of lamb is similarly off the top shelf. Mrs nujjer had the pork belly and made lots of appreciative noises too. Pavlova to finish. It doesn't get much better than that. Actually, it does; the whole lot was about fifty quid.

If word gets out about the quality of the food, you'll never get a table.

The dining room could be more comfortable - very bright lighting (at the end of the meal I noticed that the room has a dimmer which is, presumably, not used), minimal table decor (that I can recall) and paper(!) napkins. A few candles, some luxurious linen, and some welding goggles would go a long way to making this a perfect experience.

The props instill good service in their staff. We were looked after very well during the evening.

Room Tip: Rooms above the reception room will be loud if there is a party.