“Excellent food and great service” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Maidstone, Kent
“Excellent food and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I ate at the Howley Tavern twice over this weekend just gone. Once on Friday for my Dad's birthday (had the rump steak) and once on Mothers Day (Roast Turkey). The food is fantastic value, huge portions and there is a great notice on the bar telling you where all the meat has come from. My Dad is a Coeliac and they cater really well for him and give advice on what he can eat and go out of their way to ensure that he does not have anything that he should not. My parents are regular visitors to the Howley and I love visiting there when I see them. I come from Kent and I just wish that we had more pubs like this where I live.

The service is exceptional.

• Visited March 2013

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Pub Meal - one of the best in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

As I type this I'm still shaking my head with the disbelief that the Howley Tavern languishes in 10th out of 18 in restaurants in the Chard area. Having, for example, suffered at the hands of the 'service' at the Windwhistle Inn it was a pleasant surprise to come here for a birthday meal.

Very warm and cosy rooms. Not the best decor or modern tables, chairs, cutlery or crockery but that doesn't really matter. The food was excellent. The lamb rump special was beautifully cooked. Two of my party also had the salmon in chilli and honey - they loved it. Portion sizes are considerable too - especially when seeing the huge bowl of curry delievered to next doors table!
The only thing they got wrong was to give us the lunch rather than evening menu at the beginning but a minor quibble really. As for the drink, there is a decent choice, whilst not plentiful or greatly varied, should be enough to cover most requirements. One farmhouse cider plus Thatchers Gold for example.

If only I had a pub like the Howley Tavern near my home. Family run, with great food. Well done to all involved!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Surrey
“Always tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We visit the Howley Tavern whenever we visit friends who live next door!
Thank goodness the menu had changed this time as after eating there on many occasions over the last few years I almost knew the menu by heart!
Having said that there were always the specials.
Anyway, true to form the food for all 5 of us was excellent.
I would recommend that you seek this country pub out - dont let the single track road put you off.
It is well worth the diversion from the A303 or A30 to break your journey with a tasty meal. Mine came with 6 different vegetables can you believe it and that doesn't include the creamed leeks that my chicken was resting on!!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Nice little country pub with great views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Went here for a birthday meal with family. Menu not overly extensive but plenty of specials. The meals are all huge - we ended up taking the crispy duck home as my daughter and mother-in-law couldn't finish them. Nice atmosphere and great views (although it had been raining when we went so we couldn't sit outside). Would definitely go again.

• Visited June 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Best food on our trip to England and France”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Was recommended by operator of a B&B in Chard. For dinner my wife had the lamb, I had the pork. Both were outstanding! Great atmosphere, good service. Will stop by again when in this part of the world.

• Visited September 2010