“Great time, great diving” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 attractions in Portsmouth
Type: Other
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Cabrits Dive Centre is Dominica's only PADI 5 Star Dive Centre and the only dive centre in the North of Dominica. We specialize in individual and small group diving principally to the stay over tourist and yachting community. We will also be happy to help you with arranging accommodation, island tours, and restaurant reservations.
Sarasota, Florida
“Great time, great diving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My brother and I are the only divers in the family so we went just the two of us. We dove with Pete and had a great time. It was just the three of us on the bottom so needless to say, we had freedom in what we wanted to go and where we wanted to go. Pete was very attentive and made the experience one to remember. We spent our bottom time doing some lionfish hunting, exploring caves, and swimming alongside walls of beautiful coral. Our surface interval was spent discussing the next dive and eating snacks provided. I would highly recommend Cabrits for your Dominica dive trip. Thank you Pete and Kenny!

Visited June 2013

Houston, Texas
“Really Appreciate Their Flexibility”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Accommodated a group of snorkelers, experienced diver and beginning diver all at the same time. Enjoyed their choice of dive sights and their safe but adventurous approach. Highly recommended. Especially want to thank Pete, Davina and Captain Kenny.

Keith

Visited June 2013
marietta, GA
11 attraction reviews
“Great diving! Great fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I just came back from almost 3 weeks on the beautiful island of Dominica...the last week diving with Cabrits in the North. Most days we had the boat to ourselves and everyday we had the sea to ourselves. We dove with Pete, the owner, who made every day an adventure and Kenny, who captained and advised and helped make each day a great day of diving. The reefs are vibrant, colorful and unspoiled. Beautiful forests of plumes, giant boulders covered with a variety of coral growth. A decent number of fish. Several jackpot days, including one at Pole to Pole where we saw sea horses, octopus, the most extraordinary prehistoric looking snake eel and a beaded cucumber. We have never seen so many spotted eels (also saw a banded eel in the open) sooooooo many giant arrow crabs...and little critters. My husband and Pete had great fun and great success with their lionfish safari hunts and a very exciting night dive. The seas were so calm, the diving so relaxed, the underwater and topside so beautiful and Pete was so much fun we could hardly bear leaving. We will definitely come back and dive again with Cabrits.

Visited May 2013
Easton, Maryland
“Diving With Cabrits”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just returned from a vacation in Dominica, WI. Went out diving on two separate days with Cabrits Dive Center. Dominica is a jewel of an island and I hesitate to post a review on anything there because I selfishly want to keep it quiet. But . . . the four dives I had with Cabrits were some of the best I've ever experienced (been around the Caribbean a lot and have a Divemaster card). Peter, the owner, went out on all dives, and Kenny Aubri, divemaster, lead all dives. Excellent dive management, for both experienced and inexperienced divers, can be expected. Kenny is great, calm and professional (he really helped my wife, who was just restarting her diving). He knows the sites cold and has that uncanny ability to find difficult-to-locate animals (in my case an octopus I never would have seen and two yellow morays that were new to me). The reefs are in very good condition and the visibility was just spectacular. Pole to Pole is must see, inverts and schools of many species of fish, all around the pilings of a cruise ship dock. Best site: Toucari Caves, with a swim through cave and arches to go through, all amid healthy coral heads and really amazing sponges. The real bonus was a six foot stingray sitting at the base of the mooring line - biggest one I ever saw. Peter and Kenny are top notch. One caution: you might go out in a relatively small dive boat so be prepared for a backflip entry. All in all, a great set of dives with a great dive center.

Visited February 2013
6 attraction reviews
“The most laid back operation EVER!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We are currently in Dominica waiting out tropical storm Isaac, so thought we'd take this opportunity to do a quick review of Cabrits.

First things first - the staff and owner are really chill and made the 6 dives we've done so far really fun and relaxing. Kudos to Don, Fabian and Kenny in particular with a special thank you to Kenny for helping an old gal like me without making me feel like a weak old idiot. You may get the impression that they aren't safety conscious because they act so mellow. Don't be fooled. They have their eyes on you and act quickly and quietly to address any issues.

The big boat is in for repairs, so we were on the skiff for all dives. Since this is the rainy season (see reference to Isaac above!), it was cloudy and sun cover wasn't an issue. The runs to each dive site were short so again...the skiff was fine.

We dove with a max of 6 divers on one dive and 5 on the other dives. Very nice.

Surface interval was accompanied by hot tea and cookies and much conversation.

I can't address their rental equipment, as we have our own gear. It didn't look like it was prime, but it served the purpose.

As far as the sites that we dived...they were all very interesting. I'm not sure that I'd call them the "best" sites that I've ever dived, but the reefs were in incredibly good shape and there was a nice variety of small fish. Each site had it's strong points...rays at Hot Soufriere, frogfish at Pole to Pole, beautiful corals at Heavenly Bay, fun swimthrough at Toucari.......

In sum, thanks to everyone at Cabrits for 6 fun dives and, HOPEFULLY, to a few more after Isaac moves on.

Visited August 2012