“Magical!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Portsmouth
Philadelphia, PA
“Magical!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We spent a week at Secret Bay with two other couples. It is a "Magical" place. From the moment we arrived we were pamper by a staff that was intent on making our stay as comfortable and memorable as they possibly could. The manager, Anna, sat down with us the first night to go over all of the amazing opportunities Dominica had to offer. She made suggestions, responded to our ideas with honest appraisals of timing, difficulty and fun. We ate many of our meals in our "cottage" which was an outstanding gourmet meal, served on our porch...just amazing! The accommodations are difficult to explain, other than to say imaging one of the more spectacular structural designs, set in a lush green almost rainforest atmosphere, with awesome views of the Caribbean Sea from your porch. If you are looking for just a "lay on the beach" experience, Secret Bay is fine, but if you are looking for a Caribbean vacation unlike any you've ever had this place is MAGICAL!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

227 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We have never stayed at any resort where we felt so pampered. The food was terrific. We told them to surprise us with local cuisine and it was an excellent choice. We'd get two different entrees each night and everything was great.

The food was great but, they bring it to your room or cook it there. So there isn't actually a restaurant.

Wilmington, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

My husband and myself stayed in the Zambuca in mid November. I wanted start off by saying that everything you read in trip advisor about Secret Bay is absolutely true. The resort and the island was magically perfect. The service went above and beyond. Our room attendants Bianca and Rosaline seemed to know what we would need or want before we even knew it ourselves. Anna was so friendly and helpful from the 1st time I spoke to her on the phone. The food was also amazing.. We still miss our daily yogurt, with local honey and granola, fresh fish and salads for lunch and dinner. It was clean eating at its best. It is still hard for us to be back in the real world after staying there for a week We definitely plan on coming back in the future and please feel free to ask any specific questions.

Bakersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at many commercially owned resorts but none has compared to Secret Bay. We had the privilege of staying in the beautiful Zing Zing Villa. Everything was amazing about this unit-the beautiful wood, high-end stainless appliances, huge veranda overlooking the ocean (where by the way we ate we the most amazing meals prepared by the personal chef). I can't say enough about Anna and Roseline who treated us like royalty and responded to all our wants and needs. Our son is a student at Ross Medical School and we definitely plan on returning to this amazing resort.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

I was researching honeymoon destinations two years before we even got engaged. This trip was so important to me. I stumbled across Secret Bay during one of my many web searches and kept coming back to it, over and over. I decided in the end, our chances of any sort of disappointment were by far the lowest if we chose Secret Bay. All the previous reviews are absolutely spot on. We wanted a place with no crowds, no loud children, no buffet lines...just peaceful relaxation and each other. I could not be any happier with our decision. It was absolutely heaven. We stayed in the original Zabucco and it is unlike anything we have ever experienced! Stunning in every way. Our attendant for most of our stay was Roseline and she was just wonderful, such a sweetheart and so committed to making our stay perfect. Britney was also great. The whole operation at Secret Bay is practically flawless. There is nothing they didn't think of, from dry bags for the kayaks, to beach picnic blankets, to binoculars for taking in the incredible scenery. And the FOOD! I cannot say enough about the food, literally everything we ate was amazing, and the presentation was beautiful. We ate like royalty and I couldn't believe how low our bill was! Gemma will make you some incredible drinks down at the Souce Shack too. Anna was so fantastic, from our first communication weeks before our arrival, she arranged everything and made it so easy. The river trip with Fire is a can't miss experience! So fun. Our favorite thing to do, besides relaxing in the incredible Zabucco, was kayaking to Secret Beach and just hanging out in the beautiful water. It is straight out of a movie, just stunning. We were also able to experience the sunset sail with Captain Mark which was amazing, the best snorkeling I've ever seen! Even if you don't do any excursions, you will still have the trip of a lifetime. I miss our special hideaway every single day, but I am so grateful for this unbelievable experience. There is absolutely nowhere on earth like Secret Bay. Worth every single penny!! Thank you so much!!

• Stayed November 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

My wife and I had endlessly researched potential destinations for our honeymoon. We even solicited the assistance of a travel agent (yes, somehow that is still a profession), but ultimately found Secret Bay on our own.

Finally, our search was over…

We stumbled upon this small resort, on a beautiful island that we had never heard of, and we knew instantly that it was the only place we wanted to go for our honeymoon.

From the moment we arrived we were greeted with a warmth and kindness that set the tone for our entire stay. We stayed ten nights in the Zabucco III villa, and it was nothing short of amazing.

The staff was delighted to make sure we had everything we needed to make our stay an experience we will never forget.

The island is absolutely beautiful everywhere you look.

You will want for nothing. The staff will make you feel like family, and the five star accommodations will make you want to “lose” your passport so you never have to leave.

Anna and the staff work tirelessly to make your stay a unique experience that is tailored to your wants/needs. They handle it all. From massages and private yoga classes right on your deck, to guided hikes, snorkeling, kayaking, scuba diving, and pretty much anything else you would want to do.

The food is excellent, and the private chef experience is just another personal touch that makes Secret Bay such an amazing place to visit.

If you’ve searched as much as we did, you are probably thinking “I don’t even care anymore. Let’s just go anywhere. I’m sure we will have a good time on any of these islands”… While there may be some truth to those thoughts, be happy that you did not settle, because all that searching has led you to Secret Bay.

I could go into painfully boring detail about all the wonderful things we experienced, but will leave you with this.

This is truly, the trip of a lifetime. I recommend Secret Bay to anyone that will listen. I can’t say enough good things about every aspect of our stay. You will be amazed. There is nowhere like it.

Room Tip: There is not a bad villa on the resort, but Zabucco I or III have the best views and most privacy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

My wife and I are sadly coming to the end of our six night stay at Secret Bay. It is a wonderful place, with a finely tuned focus on personal service and a location to be envied.

The resort is currently comprised of four spectacular and amazing villas as well as two much smaller, two floor bungalows. Each of the units are very well appointed. The difference in size between the bungalows and villas is almost order of magnitude. The quality of the villas rival that of anything to be found... anywhere... and they include kitchens, private decks, and plunge pools. It is a wonder that anyone ever leaves their villas.

This is one of those perfect honeymoon destinations.

If you do leave your villa or bungalow, there are some pretty nice things to do. The sea is super-calm in the area, and you can snorkel, stand-up-paddle, swim, or kayak to either the super secret and quiet Secret Beach, or to coconut beach. The snorkeling is very nice right at the resort, and the sea cave is fun to explore, too. There is also a sunset and meditation deck here, that are great for reading, meditating, yoga, or enjoying the great views.

The place is quiet, although once in a while you can hear music coming from Portsmouth, mixing with the ever-present sounds of the sea.

There is no restaurant per say, although the cooking is done at the Souce Shack, and is heavenly. Although each unit has its own kitchen, and Secret Bay stocks that kitchen according to your specifications, most of the cooking is done at Souce and brought to you in your room. And the food is to die for. To. Die. For. The vegetarian food (my wife is vegetarian) is great. I loved the lobster, the beef, the chicken. The Calaloo soup was indescribably good. You can also have the food at the Souce shack or elsewhere on the resort.

The thing that stands Secret Bay further apart from other experiences is its level of personal service. Each unit has an attendant who sees your room is cleaned, that groceries are delivered to the room, brings your dinner orders to you, etc. Our attendant was Roseline, and she is a very kind and conscientious lady who took very good care of us indeed. The other resort personnel work hard to help you with whatever you want. This included getting us bikes for a ride to Fort Shirley (they have bikes at Secret Bay), arranging transportation to end points on the National Trail, taking us to the sea cave for the first time (thanks Vincent), or getting your sea toys ready. The people at Secret Bay make everything easy. So easy that I think I may have difficulty transitioning back to normal life where I am not treated as if I am royalty.

Room Tip: The bungalows only have queen beds, so if you want a king sized bed, go for the villas, which are re...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secret Bay? Share your experiences!