The Manicou River Resort is truly a special place to stay. The lodges are situated about 400ft above a wooded area, with spectacular views of Douglas and Prince Rupert Bay. We had the pleasure of staying in the Red Cedar Cottage for 3 days. The cottage is fully open, tastefully decorated (water bed, raw cedar furnishings, beautiful linen) and comes with a wonderful hammock to relax and enjoy panoramic views. Tess and Kevin, the hosts are lovely people, who provided us with excellent tips/information about travelling around Dominica and really took care of us during our stay.
A few things to note, make sure you bring some ice with you if you plan to bring some drinks with you that you'd like cold (like beer!), as this is an eco-lodge, so there is no fridge (a cooler was provided for us). We stayed during a bit of a rainy week, and so when it rained at night, it was very loud because the cottage roof is made of galvanized sheet metal. We got used to this, and it truly is a wonderful feeling to sleep way above the tree tops. The breeze is bliss, and you feel like you're part of nature. It also gets dark early, so make sure you cook early (kitchen is well equipped) and be prepared to chill-out in the dark which is truly romantic and a tranquil experience when you're that high up and removed from the world below. (candles were supplied, and solar-charged torches).
All in all this place is truly an amazing place to stay when in Dominica. It's located in a great part of the island, with lots of wonderful things to do nearby. Plus, Tess and Kevin and their beautiful dogs served as great hosts to get you acquainted with all the treasures of Dominica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT SINCE APRIL 2013. Manicou River is a collection of hand-crafted wooden cottages perched on the mountainside high above Douglas Bay and the Cabrits National Park on the beautiful, pristine island of Dominica. Our view is one of the best on the island, taking in mountains, the Caribbean Sea and the small town of Portsmouth below. We offer a simple, relaxing, nature experience with just the right touches of luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Manicou River Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Manicou River Eco Hotel Portsmouth
- Manicou River Resort Dominica/Portsmouth