The Comfortel is almost perfect. But the "almost" is a big one, at least for me: Noise.
I am deeply conflicted about giving the hotel a three rating because everything said about the hotel on this site is correct -- Hans and Lies are fantastic hosts who have thought through so many things to make your stay incredibly comfortable. The rooms are spacious and clean, converters are en suite for US plugs, you are provided with a cell phone for contacting your hosts and members of your group, there is a shuttle service down the hill (its quite a hill but a quick trip down to the main road / Ross med school gates), they extend themselves to take care of you in any way you ask, and the breakfast is fantastic (fruit, yogurt, pancakes, eggs, etc).
I can truly say that i have never had more gracious hosts in any B&B i have stayed at in years of travel.
If not for the "almost" i would give the Comfortel a 5/Excellent rating and recommend it highly. But ... almost.
While Hans and Lies have a great handle on the hotel, the bar opened in early 2009 seems to be getting the best of them. The posted bar hours are 5pm - 9pm, but basically its open as long as the party is hopping and its apparently one of the most popular bars in the area for Ross students (its a nice place and the free shuttle from the gates of the school at the bottom of the hill means they dont have to book cabs/drive for the evening)..
This might not be a problem in a traditional hotel, but the Comfortel is essentially a wide U-shaped three story building open to the sea coast. One arm of the U is also very wide and hosts the guest rooms on levels one and two and reception / dining for the hotel on the top floor. The bar is also on the top floor taking up the other 2/3rds of the building. It is open air, which means there is no sound barrier between the hotel "arm" and the L-shaped bar.
Rooms 1 (superior 2nd floor) and Room 4 (garden, 1st floor) have windowed walls which face the bar. If the sound was up (which it was for movie night tuesday, sports saturday, restaurant night sunday, and ladies night friday) or the students were rowdy ('nuff said) it was a problem for rooms 1/4 but not the other rooms which didnt share a wall with the bar area. i was in room one but switched to room 3 (the farthest from the bar) and he young man in room 4 told me he was sleeping with ear plugs. But on Ladies Night Friday, the music was so loud you could clearly hear every lyric in ALL the rooms (our party moved so we were now in superior rooms 2 & 3). This lasted until midnight when they finally closed the bar.
We spoke to Hans and Lies about the noise and they said that they recognized the noise levels had gotten too loud during our stay, that the hotel was their first priority and that they were intending to moderate the volume and close the bar at regular hours in the future. If they do, the Comfortel will be the perfect place to stay. Until, only almost perfect.
- Also Known As:
- Comfortel De Champ Hotel Portsmouth
- Comfortel De Champ Hotel
- The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar Dominica/Portsmouth
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel The Champs is a comfortable hotel with 5 double rooms with air conditioning, ceiling fan, mini bar, first class bathroom and free wireless internet. Located 200 ft high on Blanca Heights the hotel has a stunning view over Picard, Ross University and Prince Rupert Bay. The Champs offers 3-star+ rooms and a 5-star personal service. Hotel guests have complimentary use of the leisure & jacuzzi area and the local shuttle service. The Champs has won the Best Accommodation of Dominica Award and TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence. It is the ideal hotel for tourism in the North, visits to Ross University and business stay-overs in the Portsmouth area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.