“End of the road paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cuzan Guesthouse and Bonefish Flats

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Punta Allen
Cuzan Guesthouse and Bonefish Flats
Apartado 24 | Quintana Roo, Punta Allen 77200 , Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Punta Allen
Vancouver, Canada
“End of the road paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I lived & worked at Cuzan Guest House running this lodge with Lily 2003~2006.
This destination is just for adventurous travelers and world top Anglers coz his famous Ascension Bay(bonefish meca) where all these fisherman's are trying to get the gran slam.
For not Anglers:You can take a snorkeling tour boat where you can float and enjoy the second largest reef,spot some turtles and tons of fish.
Bird watching tour is available too.
Cuzan restaurant has a very tasty dinner... sopa the lima(lime soup) and lobster are delicious! have the Mayan Margarita too.
After 7 years and reading the last reviews is very sad not seeing good maintenance and renewals coz fly fishing bookings online are pricey on the peak season(not pesos)
Coming back one day to say hola to everyone in town.
Tide Lines & Happy travels

Room Tip: try to get the beach front cabanas are more windy and fresh
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Islamabad, Pakistan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Summary: The lodge is extremely difficult to get to, requires 4WD, takes 2.5 - 3 hours. The facilities are basic bordering on primitive. The town has one restaurant, no other amenities and no facilities, including gasoline, that I saw. Management has absolutely no concept of guest services. Not worth the time/trouble. STAY ELSEWHERE.

I emailed the lodge on a Wednesday and Lily replied that they had cabanas and a guide available. I responded with additional questions but received no reply. On Friday, I sent another email requesting directions (I live in Mexico and planned to drive to Punta Allen) and confirmed that I would arrive that evening. Lily did reply this time, did not answer my fishing questions, but told me that Roberto would be there to take care of me.

What she did not say is that the drive from Tuluum to Punta Allen requires 4WD (Luckily, I drive one), takes 2.5 - 3 hours, will cause serious motion-sickness in your passengers and cause your internal organs to crash against one another the entire time. The "potholes" were wider and longer than my car and many were filled with water, fortunately less than a foot deep. The worst road I have ever driven.

I pulled into the "lodge" at 8:00PM and the place was deserted. The "reception" room was locked. I wandered around in the dark until I stumbled upon an employee who was clearly startled to see me. I asked for Roberto and was told that he was not there, he was on the beach. The employee walked me in the dark to a cabana that consisted of two beds covered with mosquito netting. I mentioned that I was hungry. The lodge displays a large "RESTAURANT" sign at the entrance but, of course, it was closed. The employee suggested that I try the Taco Loco down the street. I found the restaurant's prices exorbitant (I suspect that the locals pay a different price.) and, having passed a couple of resorts just outside of town on my way in, headed off to find another one. The first one I stopped at was open, was clean, had nice rooms for $30 (as opposed to $50 at Cruzan Guesthouse.) I had a nice meal, spent the night, had a nice breakfast the next morning and returned to Cruzan Guesthouse to try to go fishing. Once there, the situation had not changed. No management there, staff did not know where Roberto was. I gave up and left, returned to the resort where I spent the previous night; they provided me with a list of available guides at reasonable prices.

(Warning: if you do not speak at least some Spanish, do not attempt this trip after dark. Very few locals speak English and, in the event of an emergency, you will be stuck.) )

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

We arranged through Lily, the manager of Cuzan, to be picked up at Cancun airport around midnight. No one was there. So we arranged our own taxi. They told us about 3 hours to Punta Allen, it actually was closer to 5 hours, and cost $200. The road from Cancun to Tulum is a 4-lane highway and fast, but from Tulum to Punta Allen it's a dirt road about 56km, but takes about 21/2 to 3 hours. It can be done in a small car, but high clearance is preferable, or even motorcycle/bicycle. We rented a cabana on the beach front, which cost $100/day. It was clean, had two beds with mosquito nets, and a bathroom/shower room added at the back. The cabana is pretty basic, with plank flooring, pole construction and thatched roof, with screening placed over louvered windows. The bathroom was clean , but the toilet tended to rock when sat upon, which is not a good feeling. The sink unit was pretty old and decrepit with broken door and peeling side panels, and the faucet was encrusted with lime deposits. The lights were bare bulbs, one working 24 hours but low wattage and too dark for reading by. The main electric supply is only on for a limited time in the morning and evening. The hot water is from a solar heated tank at the back of the cabana with a backup on-demand electric heater, again only working limited hours. But we found it sufficient to take showers. The location is fabulous, on the beach under coconut palms. It was windy most of the week which kept the mosquitoes at bay, but when the wind died down, those mosquito nets proved to be essential. The cabana has a front deck with a Yucatec-style hammock, which is also essential. Bottled water is provided every day, and clean towels and sheets every two or three days. The restaurant/bar at the guesthouse, which is operated separately, has a limited menu, good breakfasts, and seafood dinners, with few frills, friendly service, but no decent coffee, basically hot water and Nescafe instant. Fortunately, there is a great coffee stand in town, offering espresso, cappuccino etc., using organic coffee from Chiapas. Lily, the manager of Cuzan, is very friendly and helpful, with lots of tips and local knowledge. On the whole, Cuzan is great place to hangout in a great location, relaxed and comfortable, but fairly basic. I feel it is way overpriced, and would benefit from some upgrading and simple maintenance. If the road in was too much and you don't have your own car, Lily can arrange to have you ferried across the bay and taxied from there back to Tulum or Cancun. That dirt road from the bay through the jungle is an improvement, only 11/2 hours to the highway, 2 hours to Tulum.
The town of Punta Allen is small and isolated, at the end of a long and arduous road. But there are some great views along the road of the bay and sea on both sides. Food and supplies in town are limited and quite expensive. But the people are friendly. There are a number of restaurants in town, but all have basically the same menu. If you want meat rather than fish, go to Las Palapas for dinner. The Bay of Ascension is a great place to explore by tour boat, to see dolphins, alligators, turtles and lots of birds. A local man will take you on a walking tour of the jungle across the bay to see the bird life there. There is a centralized tourist office to arrange everything. We did not do any fishing tours, which I suppose is the main attraction. The beach here is lined with washed-up seaweed, and lots of trash, mostly plastic, originating from who-knows-where. But there appears to be little or no effort to clean it up, except in front of a few hotels. We found a few piles of black plastic trash bags on the beach to the north of town and along the road; whether waiting for collection or not, they had been there for a while and had been scavenged by local fauna.
Punta Allen is perhaps the last holdout against the development that has taken the Caribbean coast of Mexico, probably thanks to the establishment of the Si'an Ka'an Biosphere Park, and also because of the access road. But I think it's only a matter of time before the big hotels and condos move in and take over, like they have from Cancun to Tulum. Having explored this coast in the mid 70s, before there was any development or big hotels anywhere along the coast, that would be a great shame in my opinion.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

We arrived at Cuzan with no reservations after deciding to do an "off the beaten path" stay at Punta Allen. We were welcomed by Lilly and she quickly helped us settle into the rustic cabanas that we rented for $15 per night. Cuzan had several different budget options for accommodations but we were looking for a cheap and comfortable cabana and we definitely found one. Our cabana was small but the bed was comfortable and we were able to make the space work for three nights. The mosquito net kept us safe from being eaten alive. For the most part Cuzan was accommodating and nice. Our room had a light and a few candles but lacked large enough openings for any breeze to creep in. We were hot most of the night.

Aside from the sleeping accommodations, the staff was friendly and helped us book a snorkel trip. Lilly arranged for a guide and boat. The trip was great. We were told that our guide would speak English but all of the English speaking guides were out with the fly fisherman, who were given preference on an all-inclusive deal. We made it work.

A few things to keep in mind before visiting Punta Allen:
There is limited electricity - 6 hours per day. This was not a problem for us; however, food refrigeration becomes a problem so choices are limited and food in general was not very good
There are very few places to eat at. Most restaurants have the same menu, are pricey and there are not a lot of options.
The beach is ok but it is NO TULUM. If you are expecting the beaches of Tulum please stay there. The trip to Punta Allen is long and not worth it if you are looking for great beaches

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2009

Cuzan House provided my fly fishing buddy and I a great experience. We read about this place in a LA Times travel article and knew this was a fishing destination like no other. The end-of-the-road tropical environment we imagined went above and beyond our expectations. Our guide was incredible and put us where the fish were. Our favorite one word line from him was "gone" after a bad cast spooked a gaggle of tailing bones away time and time again. Being there to fish meant all we needed was a place to crash and get cleaned up, which is what was provided. No frills, no AC, no TV, just a comfortable bed with mosquito net protection, a toilet, and a shower. Hilton, and even Motel 6 accommodations these are not; so don't bring a spouse or kids along who cannot handle a natural tropical existence. There are no shops to peruse or Wi-Fi available to keep the impatient and digital vidiots occupied. Thanks Lily for the great service!!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
Baltimore MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

Beaches were full of trash all over the park. The beach in front of the guest house was a bit cleaner but if you go there to walk on a white pristine beach, just forget it.
The room was rather dirty and the service was poor. The food at the restaurant was ok, but there were several other places in town where it was MUCH cheaper.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

We booked a week long trip to Punta Allen, thinking we would have a week of isolation: a quiet romantic getaway of swimming, quality beach time, good food and drinks. Despite the very friendly staff across the board, there were no swimmable beaches on this stretch of the "Mayan Riviera". If you are an avid fisherman, there's plenty to do of course, so this review might not be helpful. But if you're like us, we cannot recommend staying here. The cabanas were rustic to say the least. The "Penthouse" we stayed in the first night is right next to the bar, which was loud late into the night. We asked to move, and ended up across the street at one of the road cabanas. The "king" beds are actually two old and lumpy single mattresses pushed together which made for very difficult sleeping both nights. The food was overall very good - the famous local lobster they served though, was way overpriced for it's quality. Overall, Punta Allen and Cuzan were not what we expected, so we ended up heading back up to Tulum, to world-class beaches and pricier but excellent options and amazing food (comparable prices to that of Cuzan as well).

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Cuzan Guesthouse and Bonefish Flats? Share your experiences!