“Good food not matched by service and value” 2 of 5 stars

Le Chateau, 37500 Marcay, Chinon, France
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
La Table de Marcay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Marcay
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Cambridge, England
“Good food not matched by service and value”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Chef fairly on the ball and a complex menu arrangement. Staff nice but not organised. Not Michelin quality

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chateau_Marcay, Directeur général at La Table de Marcay, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear client,
We take good notice of your claims on Château de Marçay and on La Table de Marçay Tripadvisor accounts. We replied to the last comment of the six posted. Please take a look at “Bwlove” on Château de Marçay Tripadvisor page for our responce. Thank you.

London, United Kingdom
“pompous, bland and very old fashioned (not to be confused with traditional)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I continue to be amazed how restaurant staff judge their clients...a restaurant such as this in a 4* hotel should know better!...If I can eat at the Savoy Grill, Gordon Ramsay, Hestons Dinner, J Sheeky et al in my jeans and t shirt then I should be able to eat here in my underpants...no questions asked!

The service was slow and disjointed, our waiter could not answer our question regarding the menu but did not go to get someone to find out, we had to wait for our wine to be chilled and the food, although well presented, was generally pretty bland and rather pretentious. My pork medallion was underdone one side so I had to leave it and our caramel crisp was burnt, not caramelised ald left a very bitter aftertaste. I could not be bothered to complain on the night as my French is not so great!

The restaurant also lacked atmosphere for any night let alone a Saturday evening in August.

The people responsible for the restaurant should get out more and experience real fine dining if that is what they aspire to.

Having said that, the Chateau is beautiful and I would go back....but just for a drink on the lawns!

• Visited August 2011