Having just come from a fairly decent b&b in Aberystwyth I was shell shocked when I arrived to this place. I have stayed in and reviewed Express in the past and generally my reviews are glowing. Normally I am really pleased with value for money but unfortunately not this time. They have a sign on their door for Trip advisor excellence in 2010 which is now well out of date. I did notice that as I entered and wondered why it wasn’t more recent but now I know why.
Reception was really busy and there were only 2 poor staff trying to man telephones, the reception desk and the bar and restaurant as far as I could see! After a bit of a wait to get checked in, when I did make it to my room, my key card didn’t work and I had to head back to reception with all of my luggage for another wait to get it sorted. Bad start. When I did get to my room and opened it, I was immediately hit with a horrible stale smell and I thought ‘oh no.’ The room was not clean at all – the level of cleaning might actually need to be addressed. I was in room 127 on the first floor.
The carpet was horrid. It was absolutely covered in stains and smelt terrible. The curtains were also stained. The window was mouldy, the walls were very badly marked and the wall right at the door of the room was absolutely covered in something (sticky and disgusting). The bathroom was not clean at all – every surface I touched was sticky and grimy. The mould between the tiles was so off putting I couldn’t bring myself to have a shower here. The tea tray was poorly stocked and the cups were pretty disgusting. I have to give one of them a good wash with the dove soap from the bathroom before I used it.
I had a terrible night’s sleep here. I found the mattress too soft and the pillows uncomfortable. However, the worst part were my noisy neighbours who came to the room drunk at midnight and argued until 4am. They were incredibly loud and sounded like they were smashing the room up right next door to me. I couldn’t believe that no one came up from security to sort it out. However when I tried to use the phone in the room to call reception about it, the phone didn’t work !!
The 30 minutes free Wi-Fi is a bit of a joke in such a big hotel chain.
Breakfast was reasonable – I was able to get a yogurt and some muesli which pleased me, but the smell of the breakfast room was off putting.
The airport transfer wasn’t well advertised but when I did ask if I could get one, the foreign lady on reception gave me a ‘taxi ticket’ and told me to show it to the bus driver. When I did this the bus driver made a bit of a fool of me and told me he hadn’t a clue what it was??
Generally the place smelt really bad. The corridors were dirty and in need of hovering. My corridor stank of smoke. The very lifts were dirty and grubby.
To top it off when I checked out no-one asked me if I enjoyed my stay – ha!
Never in my life would I wish to repeat my experience here.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport Hotel Rhoose
- Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Cardiff
- Holiday Inn Cardiff
- Cardiff Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport Rhoose, Wales, UK
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just two minutes from Cardiff International Airport and 10 miles from the Cardiff City Centre, our clean modern hotel is all you need for your business or leisure needs. We offer complimentary hot breakfast and free shuttle services to both the Airport and Cardiff City Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, IHG, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.